The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another giant of music has passed away -RIP John Abercrombie

Go down

another giant of music has passed away -RIP John Abercrombie Empty another giant of music has passed away -RIP John Abercrombie

Post by gittarasaurus Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:53 pm

i was stunned by this news today. he was always an inspiration. the joy and humor and sensitivity of his playing was unlike anyone else i know of.

here is a nice write up from guitarist Nels Cline published at Premier Guitar

it was one of the first concerts i ever made a bootleg recording. a small club holding maybe 100 people, Washington DC in 1977. John Abercrombie and Ralph Towner. a transcendental 60 minutes of guitar virtuosity.

i have always treasured that recording. still have it. like the title of his first album, it is Timeless

revision;  i have been unpacking my music collection in my new house, and i have listened to many recordings by John Abercrombie since his passing. as it turns out my memories of 40 years past have blurred slightly. the first concert recording i made was in early 1977, but the show was Jack DeJohnette's Directions, including John Abercrombie, Lester Bowie, and Eddie Gomez. both shows were recorded at that same small club in DC, The Cellar Door. the Abercrombie/Towner recording was March 1980.

Jack DeJohnette's New Directions  <---

Last edited by gittarasaurus on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correct link)
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down