The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you help me identify this Westone?

+2
The Chad
Hielke
6 posters

Go down

westone - Can you help me identify this Westone? Empty Can you help me identify this Westone?

Post by Hielke Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Hey!

I just bought this guitar, and i had no clue at all about the brand. I found the name Westone at the back of the bridge, and internet brought me here, but i couldn't find the specific model at the page.

It has a tunomatic kind of bridge with 'Westone' at the back, but has also string ferrules in the back. It looks like the tuneomatic and stoptail are added later. A black plastic plate has been placed in stead of the old bridge. The headstock has no serial or brandname, and i'm not sure if the pickups and electronics are original.

Can someone tell me more about it?

The pics:
westone - Can you help me identify this Westone? B4uhyc

westone - Can you help me identify this Westone? 2hzmvsk

I'm planning on restoring it, and a bit more information about the guitar would be welcome!

Thanks Smile
Hielke
Hielke

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-06-03

Back to top Go down

westone - Can you help me identify this Westone? Empty Re: Can you help me identify this Westone?

Post by The Chad Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:08 am

Late reply, sorry.  Smile  Looks like a bit of a misfit to me.  Sort of like the Aria Pro II design, although Westone less famously and on a smaller scale used that design also.  I do not recognize the headstock?  Almost looks like the wrong neck for it or something, odd.  Maybe check out the Matsumoku forums, http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

westone - Can you help me identify this Westone? Empty Re: Can you help me identify this Westone?

Post by Barry Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:32 am

Odd looking beast, especially the head stock. I rather doubt it's a Westie, but you never know.

Doesn't really "feel" like a Mats made guitar either. Perhaps one of the other Japanese manufacturers of the time.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adey Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:46 am

Ity looks like it's had a much bigger bridge installed originally - is that a big black plate under the current bridge?

The size and shape looks like it may have have one of the reccessed Aria type bridges similar to high end Cardinals maybe?

And apart from the headstock, it looks a bit Thor Sound ish to me...
Adey
Adey
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2014-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:33 am

Adey, right on, thought the same thing. 

Doesn't that neck look odd?  I can't imagine someone would take the time to put another neck on it, but I've seen stranger things!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 am

It almost looks as if someone may have removed an original neck and re-set another on that body??  Obviously not a 3-ply laminate neck, unless some sort of masking stain was applied to cover it up.  Those tuning pegs have certainly taken quite a good rogering as well haven't they.

I doubt quite frankly that it is even Uncle Mats in origin, but my eyes have been rusty as of late.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:23 pm

The bridge & tailpiece are probably worth more than the whole guitar.
westcoaster
westcoaster

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down