The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a tone knob for a Pantera

4 posters

Go down

knob - Need a tone knob for a Pantera Empty Need a tone knob for a Pantera

Post by X350ma Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi folks, I'm new to the site. I plan to stick around and participate in the future(I love my Westone, been my #1 guitar for 20 years now), but I found this site because I'm desperately seeking a knob for a Pantera X750 bass, it appears the same as the knobs on my X350ma, so I'm hoping they're not THAT uncommon. I can post a picture if it would help, but to describe it.... it's black, flat on top, slightly tapered from top to bottom(bigger on top) with vertical grooves around it's circumference. It is held on by an allen set screw, I believe. Any chance you can help a brother out?

Thanks,
Jeff
X350ma
Registered Member

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-08-05

Back to top Go down

knob - Need a tone knob for a Pantera Empty Re: Need a tone knob for a Pantera

Post by corsair Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:27 pm

="X350ma"it appears the same as the knobs on my X350ma, so I'm hoping they're not THAT uncommon.

Well, g'day Jeff; good to see you've found a spiritual home - the maniacal laughter you might be hearing is a response to the question above... those knobs are about as common as chickens lips; they were, indeed, peculiar to Westone - none of the other Matt brands had 'em; not even Electra, Westones half-brother from about 1984!!

You can try Spares - he did a run of 'em a while ago and he may have some left!!

http://www.westone.info/spares/index.html

I can vouch for the quality of his spare bits, too - I've bought quite a bit off him over the last couple of years - good fella to deal with as well!!

Now; I've helped you... I hope!! ... it is your turn; you must post some pics of your Westones here for the weirdos in here to look at... that includes me, btw!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by X350ma Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:26 pm

knob - Need a tone knob for a Pantera Pantera1

Yeah, I sent him a message today, but thanks for the info and quick response. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I got this Pantera Deluxe from a good friend of mine back in about '88-'89, round-abouts. He couldn't bond with it.... but I sure did. She's been my sweetie ever since. Any of you guys got one of these? I'd be really interested to hear about it. I've never seen another one just like it. I saw one on ebay once with a broken/repaired headstock... and I think it was a hardtail if memory serves. This one has a couple little dings, but overall, it's in great shape and plays like butter.

Sorry the picture is a little dark. I need to take some better ones.
X350ma
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Yes. Yes, you do!! Looks like a sweetie, and yes, a few of the boys in here have Panteras, as does our beloved moderator, Pollyanna! Those natural finish 350MA Panteras are the ducks guts, eh - spectacular as all get out; I am one who does not have one and because I have a Vantage VA900 - another of Matsumokus top-of-the-line models - don't really see a need to own one as the specs are pretty similar!
How's the Bendmaster on yours behaving; there is a fair amount of chatter in here about them so if you need to know anything, sing out!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by X350ma Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't have any complaints about the bendmaster. Coincidentally, the only thing I've ever had to do to it, I did just 3 days ago. The 'nut' for the wammy bar threaded insert kept coming loose, and I ultimately found it was cracked... it's more like a threaded sleeve than a nut, so I got a regular locknut to fit it and reassembled it and it's working good.

The only other thing I've ever had to do to this guitar, mechanically, is replace the locking nut, which again, I did just recently.... less than two months ago. One of the threaded holes was stripped out. Other than that, it's been just alot of jammin' good times.

Not only is this thing a tank of a rockin guitar, it's also the most comfortable guitar I've ever played.... with the concave back, heelless neck and everything completely rounded everywhere.
X350ma
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi, what did replace the string lock with when the hole stripped out? Hope you didnt throw the old one away?
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by X350ma Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Yeah Steve, I'm 90% sure I did throw it away. I put a whole new locking nut assembly on it.
X350ma
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:17 pm

Too bad, I'm looking for some stripped out one's to repair. I use hardened steel self cutting inserts that restore the hole to its original size and M4 thread.

Nice Pantera though ....

Cheers for now
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:31 am

hi,

i've seen only one other x350ma/x390ma equipped with a bendmaster (crambone's). you can see it here (although the bendmaster was replaced).

if you are still looking for a knob, you should contact this guy...I guess you had a bid on the white x750 that was on ebay...did you get it?
silence86
silence86

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://first-daze.de

Back to top Go down

Post by X350ma Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Yep, that was me. Got it. It's on it's way.
X350ma
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down