The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bendmaster Locking Nut Stripped

4 posters

Go down

Bendmaster - Bendmaster Locking Nut Stripped Empty Bendmaster Locking Nut Stripped

Post by guitarplayer83 Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi all I have a problem my locking nut on my westone sectrum III has stripped out and I can not lock the strings. Is there a replacement. I have tried to tap it and have had no luck it still strips. Thanks for the help.
guitarplayer83
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster - Bendmaster Locking Nut Stripped Empty Re: Bendmaster Locking Nut Stripped

Post by corsair Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:55 am

Hi there, fella; the perennial Bendmaster problem, eh?! Well, take a wander around in this section and you'll see that a few of the boys have indeed fixed theirs...

http://forum.westoneguitars.net/technical-f3/repairing-lock-nuts-t464.htm

...though Steve has yet to post the before, during and after pics!! Rolling Eyes

There is no 'bolt on' replacement but Kahler I think do a "behind-the-nut" locking system so if you wanted to replace the OEM, that would be my first stop, otherwise keeping an eye on eBay for one, or for a guitar that has one but fixing your own should give you much trouble; you seem quite handy with your hands?!

Are you gonna show us what you've got....? Very Happy

http://forum.westoneguitars.net/wanted-f4/want-to-buy-westone-spectrum-locking-nut-t229-15.htm?highlight=bendmaster
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster - Bendmaster Locking Nut Stripped Empty Re: Bendmaster Locking Nut Stripped

Post by Steve777 Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:56 am

I've just moved so give us a chance !! Boxes and Boxes etc ! When I can find the the bits you'll get your Pic's .... Oooo that rhymes ... i'm a poet and didnt know it !

Guitarplayer83 .... PM me with your email I'll gladly assist !

Hi Polly.... as uploading pics with text is soooooooo difficult ( frustrating), when I am ready, can you post them for me, pretty please!

Steve
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:51 am

Tap the 3 holes out to 8-32 standard thread. It is slightly bigger than the metric(4 or 5mm I forget). Get some 8-32 socket head screws at a hardware store and your all set. Don't over tighten the locking nuts. If the string keep slipping look at the spacer pieces or the back of each locking nut. Sand them smooth with Scotch-brite to get the grooves out. If the spacers are too thin this will also allow the strings to slip even if the nuts are tight.

Good luck
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by guitarplayer83 Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:02 am

thanks for the help. I have ordered the Kahler lock nut to replace it everytime i have tapped and threaded a new socket screw in it. it would pull the threads so I think that this one has just bit the dust. I should have the kahler sometime next week and then bolt it on. I will post pics of the kahler nut when i install it. I have a thread over in the general section with pictures of my guitar. Its title new to the forum and westones. Thanks again for the help.
guitarplayer83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Guitarplayer83.

If you are disposing of your locknut/shims/plates there is a place for it here please rather than the bin. I'll pay the postage.

All the best

Steve
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by guitarplayer83 Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Steve777 wrote:Hi Guitarplayer83.

If you are disposing of your locknut/shims/plates there is a place for it here please rather than the bin. I'll pay the postage.

All the best

Steve

I am keeping the nut and everything with it. I will eventually try to fix it again. I keep stuff stored from guitars that i take off. Never know when you might need something. Again thanks for the help.
guitarplayer83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Jeez, Steve; that was quick bludge - it was night-time over here when all this went down so I missed it as it played out!! Laughing

Ain't moving a bitch - we've done it 9 times now in 20 years, and we aren't finished yet!! And that's proper "pick up yer stuff and move to the other end of the country" type stuff, too, not just down the road a bit.... *sigh*

I still think your fix is the best for these lock-bases, and with the extra 2mm on the bolts for the E/A and D/G - problem solved forever as you shouldn't be able to strip the threads anywhere near as easily, eh!!

I'm certainly interested in your Kahler fix, gp83 - please do show it in here....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 am

madmarcus1960 wrote:Tap the 3 holes out to 8-32 standard thread. It is slightly bigger than the metric(4 or 5mm I forget). Get some 8-32 socket head screws at a hardware store and your all set. Don't over tighten the locking nuts. If the string keep slipping look at the spacer pieces or the back of each locking nut. Sand them smooth with Scotch-brite to get the grooves out. If the spacers are too thin this will also allow the strings to slip even if the nuts are tight.

Good luck

Yep; good solution except that the lock base is cast alloy or sh*tmetal and the locking screws are steel and will strip out the new, very thin threads very quickly if you're not very, very careful tightening them up!! So the moral of the story is...

DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THE PIGGING THINGS!!! Bendmaster - Bendmaster Locking Nut Stripped Icon_lol
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by guitarplayer83 Wed May 19, 2010 11:06 am

wow almost a year old thread. I forgot all about it. I fixed by using a Kahler locking nut.
guitarplayer83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu May 20, 2010 8:38 am

Cool; show us, if you can?!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down