The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently Acquired Westone. (Help)

2 posters

Go down

westone - Recently Acquired Westone. (Help) Empty Recently Acquired Westone. (Help)

Post by Malyn Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:02 am

Hello all, I was hanging out at a friend's house today, when in his basement I noticed a small beat-up guitar case. I asked about it and he told me to pull it out. Inside was a black guitar, with a black pick guard, and rosewood board. It has a SSH pickup layout, but it's missing both the single coils. The volume knob says Tone. The Pickup selector is gone, but it came out with strings on it, so I tuned it up and began playing. Just the look alone had me extremely happy, as the beater Strat vibe was heavy, and it screamed charm.
It's a wonderful feeling guitar, even with dust caked on the fretboard. After talking about how much I liked it, and spending quite a bit of time diddling around on it, He let me take it home with me, and plugging it into my amp made me even more happy! I don't think I've ever played a guitar with so much soul and character. It's a refreshing change from the metal machine Ibanez I play.
So I've been doing some research. It was built in 1985, and is a Spectrum DX model according to the headstock.
The problem is, with all the Internet digging I've done, (which is not very much really) I haven't seen any DX models with SSH layout, or ones that come with a pick guard. Did they make any? Is what I have worth putting any money into to restore?And if you guys have any other info on what I have, I'd appreciate it!
I would post pics but am not sure how on my iPod.
Thanks.
Malyn
Malyn
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-09-09

Back to top Go down

westone - Recently Acquired Westone. (Help) Empty Re: Recently Acquired Westone. (Help)

Post by corsair Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:46 am

Spectrums with a S/S/H were the MX and SX; the GT and FX were H/S/H, with the FX being a set neck, and the DX and ST were H/H. Pickups in all but the ST were the MMK45s and yes, they do fair scream!
No Spectrums came with an OEM pickguard but the sister Electra Phoenix did a model or two with a scratchplate.
Pix are gold, mate; let's see what you've got, eh?!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

westone - Recently Acquired Westone. (Help) Empty Re: Recently Acquired Westone. (Help)

Post by Malyn Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:06 am

From the look of the thing, it's been torn apart by whoever owned it. There's definitely been some tinkering inside and out. I'm not sure if the bridge pup is stock or what, but I'll get some pics up here and let you see.
They won't be quality, but I'll try to make them useful.
I'm very interested in the guitar! So, thank you for the reply.
Malyn
Malyn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malyn Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:15 am

Can't post links, as I just joined last night.
Any other way I can get some pictures to you?
Malyn
Malyn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malyn Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:22 am

You know... After looking at it some more.
The horns aren't as pointy as the Westone Spectrums, and the shape doesn't exactly match.
I noticed taking those pictures that it has an "f" on the neckplate. I think this could possibly just be a Westone neck spliced to a Strat body.
Malyn
Malyn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:13 pm

Malyn wrote:Can't post links, as I just joined last night.
Any other way I can get some pictures to you?
You can, however, upload to Photobucket or similar and then c+p the links given there into your posts here.
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down