The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Try and level output balance in a Concord 2- P/J style Bass

4 posters

Go down

concord - Try and level output balance in a Concord 2- P/J style Bass Empty Try and level output balance in a Concord 2- P/J style Bass

Post by pbman1953 Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:34 pm

I just picked up a nice Cranberry Red Concord 2 P/J style bass. Then only issue that stands out is how loud the  P pickups are compared to the bridge.

Don't get me wrong the bass sounds great but was wondering how to calm down the P set besides using the volume.

Just wondering if anyone else dealt with with this or just used the volume.

Plus has anyone replaced the selector switch, with more stops,  to get more settings?  Like both pickups in series.

Thanks
pbman1953
pbman1953
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-07-04

Back to top Go down

concord - Try and level output balance in a Concord 2- P/J style Bass Empty Re: Try and level output balance in a Concord 2- P/J style Bass

Post by Westbone Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:43 pm

Nice bass.

Controls are 1 volume, PEQ tone for each pup.

PEQ tone. When in the center position(detent) the pups are in series.
Turning full up, they are then in parallel.

So changing the selector switch is pointless as you have this already or should have if wired correctly.

If the PEQ makes no difference on the bridge pup and is wired right you have a half duff pup. Which would account for the volume drop.

Try raising the bridge pup closer to the strings????
concord - Try and level output balance in a Concord 2- P/J style Bass SANY2235_zps06458c75
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

concord - Try and level output balance in a Concord 2- P/J style Bass Empty Re: Try and level output balance in a Concord 2- P/J style Bass

Post by pbman1953 Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:15 am

I should of mention that I'm not a fan of the PEQ. My Concord 2  (82-83) and this one ( 83-84) are both wired in series, under the guard. I have installed traditional (Fender style) tone controls. I'm a Fender guy and the PEQ adds a slight midrange hump and  I don't like that ala Musicman. Musicman is a great bass but not for my playing style and music. They own slap and funk. 

As a reference for wire designation- The light colors are positive and the dark colors are negative.

P set-  E & A
          Red- +
          Blue- -

D & G
          White- +
          Or-  -  

J -(Bridge)

E & A-
Or- +
Green- -

D & G-
Red-  +
Blue-  -

By installing the traditional tone controls the bass is clearly more open and deep with clarity. Some may not agree with me but after a lot of trial & error with wiring experiments , this is what I like. 
You're right on bringing the pickup closer but you're open to overtones. If you have access to a strobe tuner, like a Peterson, you can see that the graph vibrates, even though in tune, if the the pickup is too close. I may be getting too geeky technical but the basses do sound better and even with the pickups set correctly. If you have enough power, amp wise, that will take care of any sound loss.
pbman1953
pbman1953
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:12 am

Well there you go.............. Pacing & Thinking

Why didn't you mention all that in the first place??

The human ear can hear if your too close to the strings with a pup.

Can't see the point of having one (both pups in series) big humbucker. Be way too muddy.

Just treat each pup as a coil and wire the two as a h/bucker if that's your desire.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by pbman1953 Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:41 am

The only reason I brought it up is because the series works with a Jazz bass config. Fender's name for it is known as having a S1 switching. It's a push button series /parallel switch built into the neck J pickup volume control. In other basses I bought the push pull version, much cheaper with same effect.

It works in a 2 pickup config not in a P. 

I don't have to have it. The bass sounds great in the neck and middle settings. The rear pickup is half the volume and bass content. . I had a spare Jazz pickup that I tried with no change. It sounded the same. The pickup I used was a Nordstand. The front (P) is oh so powerful, kind of overbearing and it's been lowered and still very strong.
pbman1953
pbman1953
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:59 am

A P bass pup is wired in series.

Both J bass pups are parallel as standard. A DPDT switch can of course do both. Same for a P bass pup.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by pbman1953 Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:10 am

On the rear pickup I wired it in series-

Or (+) - to  tone pot center lug -tied with selector switch rear input

Green (-) soldered to Red (+)

Blue - ground
pbman1953
pbman1953
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:39 pm

So basically you need help hot rodding your guitar.

Nothing I can help with here. It's your endevour.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by pbman1953 Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Probably just going to leave it as is. Just wish the back pickup had more volume

Thanks
pbman1953
pbman1953
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Shakedown Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi pbman.
I gig westone thunder pj basses every week, and the only way you are going to equal out the volume is a combination of eq and distance from strings.
The peak frequencies at p and j areas are slightly different. And failing that a quick volume tweak never hurt anyone, except maybe the guitar player.
Clive Shakedown
Clive Shakedown

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by pbman1953 Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:51 am

HI Clive

I've already lowered the P set and still it's very powerful. I'll have to rely on the volume control or get a super hot bridge  pickup. Over all I'll probably leave it as is. I just learned about Westone's a few months ago and they are truly a hidden gem. kind of blown away by the quality
pbman1953
pbman1953
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:08 am

Just tried out my Concord II bass this am. again.
There's a slight volume drop but not all that much of course the tone is also brighter at the bridge.
Not a huge drop as you suggest. What does your pup read on a meter?

Last edited by Westbone on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by pbman1953 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:23 am

It was around 8.4
pbman1953
pbman1953
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Mine is the same, I lowered the p as far as possible including the poles, and raised the j as much as interference would allow, still a big difference between the two.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pbman1953 Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:38 pm

Yes, more b..ls that you would ever need. It could use a resistor but that's not normally done.
pbman1953
pbman1953
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Thing is, I absolutely adore the tone from this bass, no need to change how it is now.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pbman1953 Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:50 pm

You're right . this is my second Concord 2. My first was purchased in the summer and it's a 82/83 in Pearl. I removed the PEQ, it's not for me. I'm sure many like it but it is smoother with out it, IMHO. I wired a traditional tone control and cap.  

What's funny how so many players never seen the Westone's before. But the nitty gritty old timers do remember them and also Matsumoko.

I'm totally impressed and I'd put this against any Fender assembly line Custom Shop.
pbman1953
pbman1953
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down