The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties)

3 posters

Go down

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Empty Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties)

Post by anaerobe Mon May 25, 2009 11:58 pm

This is an Onyx - and it _might_ be a Yamaki, and definitely not a Matsumoku – as far as I can tell there is no model number on it. The crazy thing are the similarities it shares with Mats stuff from this era.

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01263_edited

Some folks call this a “Wing” series guitar. This one has rounded (vs. squared) wings, and shares some features of a Vantage VA-800 (Vantage Artist). Also, it looks like a Washburn Hawk (1978 or 1979) – and like mine, the early ones were of unknown manufacture and had no serial number. So, based on the configuration and hardware (railed humbuckers), it looks like late 70’s guitar. But.... there's more... (below).

The body construction looks like two pieces of Japanese Ash glued to a through body neck. Despite what purists for a solid body might think, this glued body style makes for a pretty solid guitar.

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01265

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01268_edited

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01285

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01267_edited

Here's a pic of the inside of the neck pickup slot. The "tatoo" is there... tough to render this properly because of the glossy finish.
I am guessing that's Yamaki's stamp. Anyone?

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01271-1

Now for some deconstruction, and a look-see...

OK, this has the stamp inside the slot again - is that Japanese script? (My Japanese is much worse than my French - tabernacle!).
The six digit serial number on the back of the rail p'up starts with a "2". 1982, perhaps?? Hmmm.... The Humbuckers' tone is way into the mid-range, very chimey and bright, especially the neck. Beautiful tones and lots of variety with the switching. From the wiring pics, I'm guessing the micro-switches may control coil phase or series and coil-tap functions, but that's a guess.

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01286

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01293

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01291

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Th_DSC01292

Its all back together again, and she plays nicely. If any of you chaps have any data for me, blaze away. I'd especially like to gain some background on that stamp in the pickup cavity. That may be the key to this thing.... and if the pickup numbers are serial numbers then they were made in '82... however that's all conjecture for now. Back to your regular Westone programming.

- Ian study
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Empty Re: Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties)

Post by norfolkngood Tue May 26, 2009 3:08 am

Nice guitar Ian.

The body shape, headstock and control layout looks the same as the Washburn "wing" series of the late 70s. These are difficult to date accurately as the serial numbers were painted on (usually in silver paint on the back of the headstock) and the paint wears away as the years have passed.

It might be worth posting your photos on the Washburn guitar forums to see if anyone there has any more info. There's also a website devoted to Matsumoku guitars, can't remember the link but shouldn't be too hard to find.

Happy hunting
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

series - Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties) Empty Re: Yamaki - built Wing series (late seventies or early eighties)

Post by corsair Tue May 26, 2009 4:07 am

Some good folk in here...

http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue May 26, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks! I will cross-post this item.

I
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Tue May 26, 2009 8:10 pm

Yep, Corsair has i/d'd the site I had in mind.

Another site worth a look is www.g3h.be/wings/ --- loads of info on the Washburn wing series.
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue May 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Beauty... that's a keeper too.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down