The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just hot a white Spectrum fx and looking for parts but don't know anything about posting or forums-confused...

3 posters

Go down

spectrum - Just hot a white Spectrum fx and looking for parts but don't know anything about posting or forums-confused... Empty Just hot a white Spectrum fx and looking for parts but don't know anything about posting or forums-confused...

Post by Dick Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:08 am

Just got a white Spectrum FX-It's going to be a really great guitar once I get it set up..."Very sexy!"...it is however missing the dive bar and the locking nut screws and bottom plates.  I have no idea where to look for these parts and have never done any forum before but thought I'd try. There are no markings on the tremolo plate and but some kind of Bendmaster I think.  The locking nuts must somehow mount below the string tree as the top is not slotted for strings. I don't think it's the Bendmaster deluxe but if you look at videos of a 1986 white FX it's that kind.  I know kind of a wordy description but have mercy on me as I'm just a stupid guitar player and not a guitar tech or computer guy. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!
Dick
Dick
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-10-09

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Just hot a white Spectrum fx and looking for parts but don't know anything about posting or forums-confused... Empty Re: Just hot a white Spectrum fx and looking for parts but don't know anything about posting or forums-confused...

Post by Westbone Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:41 am

Hello Dick
Have a look here
http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/spectrum-series/spectrum-fx-x199/

Someone will pop up with a Speccy FX
Meanwhile
http://forum.westoneguitars.net/t4666-spectrum-fx
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Just hot a white Spectrum fx and looking for parts but don't know anything about posting or forums-confused... Empty Re: Just hot a white Spectrum fx and looking for parts but don't know anything about posting or forums-confused...

Post by Dick Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks-at least I found out it's a Bendmaster FT trem-gives me a starting point
Dick
Dick
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Are you missing the trem arm only? do you have the hex nut it screws into?

Those string locks just don't exist anymore,(the first type) like rockin' horse poop! and pretty crap to boot. Probably why it's missing. They tend to strip the threads. But all can be fixed with other parts.

Now they did change the string lock around '86.
Maybe somebody will put a picture up of them.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dick Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:02 pm

yes missing trem arm and don't have the hex nuts or screws or plates-just the string tree which the strings go under-I am probably going to block the bridge anyways but would like to get guitar in original condition with original parts if possible-I agree I think the system is pretty lame but it's what it has--probably why they went to the Bendmaster deluxe as it resembles a Floyd..Thank you!
Dick
Dick
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:47 pm

OK, I see you've met our resident curmudgeon and he's set you on the right path! Laughing
While I don't completely agree with his précis of the Bendmaster gear, he is right in that the baseplate for the stringlock was made with pot metal and strips quite readily when continually overtightened.... which, of course, ham fisted guitarists do all the time!!

However, they DO work well when set up properly and if they are stripped they are quite readily fixable; I've fixed 2 stripped Deluxe stringlocks with a tool bought from the internet for pennies.

Have a browse through the threads in here and you'll find reams of info; the question is, of course, do you have the baseplate for the stringlock? If you do, you need to PM Sgt Vimes and ask him to send you the hex headed bolts and the 6 locking washers that the thing requires. If not, then we need to have a rethink as the FT stringlock on the Spectrums sits very high compared to the Deluxes.... probably need to use a Kahler lock on a small spacer....

Spectrum FX, eh; nice one!! That's the Spectrum that got away from me!
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:16 pm

corsair wrote:OK, I see you've met our resident curmudgeon and he's set you on the right path! Laughing
While I don't completely agree with his précis of the Bendmaster gear, he is right in that the baseplate for the stringlock was made with pot metal and strips quite readily when continually overtightened....
You miserable old git!... Laughing

Pot metal trem block, saddles, string hooks, string locks, missed anything?... Laughing They're not the best by far but usable....just.

Same as the Prestige/Rainbow stop tail piece, crap! made of cheap pot metal.

It's a pity that such well made instruments are let down by cheap hardware.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:25 am

Fair points, all, bearing in mind that Fen/son were, and are, guilty of such dramas over the years, eh! 
The thing that rips my undies is that these things were to get around copyright patents - Bendmaster bridges, for example - but were crippled by bean counters as I reckon those Bendmaster bridges are OK and with a steel block and steel stringlock base, they'd've been better than OK!!
Yeah... those string claws on FTs really needed to be made of steel, too...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:50 am

You've more than likely noticed the number of folks joining up on here looking for spare parts that have either broken or have been lost probably due to being knackered.

Or looking for replacement bridges/tailpieces.

Doesn't take much figuring out.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:22 am

Oddly, about the same number as there were when I first got interested in Westone in about 2004! 
It seems like more because there's much less traffic nowadays from long standing members, eh!

Oh, yeah... those bits really needed to be made of steel!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Dick Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:12 am

Just getting going here and thank you all for your input-I am thinking of replacing the bridge trem w a good quality Floyd--anyone with experience doing this?
Dick
Dick
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:49 pm

From memory, there are issues with that regarding fitting the Floyd - more routing, I think - and intonation.

Further, I have a feeling that Damian(?) found a drop-in replacement??

You're still left with the stringlock to repair/replace...

You know, the Bendmasters work just fine and if you look after them and know how to avoid the pitfalls, will last forever!,
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Not me! old boy.. Laughing

http://www.westoneguitars.net/fixme/hardware-repairs/bendmaster-ft-bridge-replacement/
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down