The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Westone, '86 Spectrum GT Bass Cleanup

2 posters

Go down

spectrum - New to Westone, '86 Spectrum GT Bass Cleanup Empty New to Westone, '86 Spectrum GT Bass Cleanup

Post by PokeyPrasch Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:29 pm

Hello,

I just purchased a 1986 Spectrum GT bass in candy apple red in decent condition.  I have a few questions.

It has a haze/cloudiness where the neck meets the body on the black paint of the neck, has anyone else experienced this and found a way to fix?

The nut is damaged, it looks like it was hit with a hammer and has chunks missing.  Does someone have the measurements on hand?

The bridge is pretty gashed up though it seems to work and adjust fine.  I'd like to repaint it, any suggestions on type of paint?

Truss rod, the neck looks fine but needs new strings.  I'm unfamiliar with truss rods on the body end of the neck- is it clockwise to remove relief, counter-clock to add? (facing body end)

Thanks, and I apologize ahead of time because I'm sure that some of these can be found if I had search skills.
PokeyPrasch
PokeyPrasch

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-08-21

Back to top Go down

spectrum - New to Westone, '86 Spectrum GT Bass Cleanup Empty Re: New to Westone, '86 Spectrum GT Bass Cleanup

Post by corsair Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Welcome here; I do like the look of the GT Bass in red - mine is Metallic Black and whilst it is the mintiest guitar I own, I prefer the red ones!!

Haziness; perhaps a polish or a light cut might do the trick?

Damian has a GT Bass as well; I've no doubt he'll have suggestions as to the nut replacement! He also performed a neat wee string thru conversion on his which I copied! It's all documented on here someplace!

The bridge; I just took mine off, sanded and smoothed off the rough bits, blew a coat of etch primer over it and then a couple of thin coats of a gloss black from a rattle can... I was too lazy to get the spray gear out! When the black had dried, I blew on a couple of thin coats of Krylon Krystal Klear; job done!
Be sure to paint the secring screw heads, too, else they stand out like dogs nuts!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

spectrum - New to Westone, '86 Spectrum GT Bass Cleanup Empty Re: New to Westone, '86 Spectrum GT Bass Cleanup

Post by PokeyPrasch Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Thank you,

Funny I would've preferred a black one but I took what I could get, but the red is a very nice red. (I've seen your pictures while searching, yours is gorgeous)
I've tried 1 run with the Dunlop 65 care line, looks a little better- I was just wondering if this was a common issue with a simple solution. Guess not
I will take the bridge off this weekend when I put on some new GHS big cores and clean the fretboard.
Maybe just clean it up for now.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I would appreciate some nut measurements if anyone knows or has a second, I'm not sure I can get an accurate measurement for a replacement because the corners are missing and it's just in bad shape.  I don't have the tools/know how to shape a blank.
PokeyPrasch
PokeyPrasch

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down