The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper

+7
J.a.c.aranda87
colt933
matarndt
Iceman
silence86
Sgt. Vimes
TVill25
11 posters

Go down

westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper Empty Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:58 pm

So thanks to silence86's post in the Swap section a new user matarndt posted pics of a Rabin I that broke, and therefore trashed futher. A shame, but I did the same "Pete Townshend" move on my violin when I was 12. The cool thing is matarndt agreed to sell me the pieces and will ship in a few days. You can check the pics in Silence's thread to see what I have to work with, but I think I can get this one together and save a pretty rare guitar. It's been sitting a long time so there may be some small pieces missing that I will have to deal with, and I will of course have to do a refinish. I'm so looking forward to it, that I already reproduced the logo for the headstock since I know it all will need to be sanded down and refinsihed. The only problem is all the other projects I have going on, so I may not get to this one for awhile.
I'll post some pics when I get it to show the before shots, and as usual, show the work, and hopefully the final project.
Question, I think it had a Kahler, but does anyone know what model? I'll have to find a replacement - and not sure if current Kahlers (which cost 250+) will fit.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper Empty Re: Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper

Post by TVill25 Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Good luck let us know if some of us can help. Or at least me.
TVill25
TVill25

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper Empty Re: Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:21 pm

TVill25 wrote:Good luck let us know if some of us can help. Or at least me.
Even though the Wetone Rabin had the generic knobs, I may hit ya up for more of the traditional ones eh!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TVill25 Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Just let me know.
TVill25
TVill25

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:09 am

Hats off to you Sarc, hope you enjoy this massive project! Look forward to seeing your excellent step by step process.
It'll be nice to see something so rare given a new lease of life.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:13 am

Looks very much like a Kahler 2300...I guess the new ones won't fit as the ground plates are shaped in another way.
silence86
silence86

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://first-daze.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:26 am

If it is the same one that was put into the x390's it is a Model 2300, although I've not seen that number in any location on it that is visible when in place. As far as a current Kahler fitting into that existing cavity, well... that's what routers are for and I suspect they have not made one yet that could scare Sarc.

And since the possibility of a routing may become real down the road I wonder if an Edge trem might work as well?

Regardless, get lots of pics of that busted bayonet join, Sarc. All we really know of it's anatomy save catalog scans is from looking at an x350 and any pics you might have taken when refinishing your Greenie.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by matarndt Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:47 pm

It was a 1985/6 Kahler 2300 with a brass cam and brass rollers. I used it to replace another 2300 that had a steel cam (I believe) and steel rollers that was on a 1986 Carvin V220, and put the latter one on another guitar. There are usually several 1980s 2300s on ebay at a time, and parts are easy to get at wammiworld. The newer Kahlers have a longer footprint and would not fit into the existing recessed route and neither would any knife-edge trems I've seen. There is no rear body route, just a top route. You can see it in this pic.

westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper Broken trs pantera

Pat, when you are nearing completion on the TRS, email me. By that time, I may not need the steel/steel Kahler 2300.
matarndt
matarndt
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-04-10

http://miseryremains.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Yup! Right there is the beauty of the Kahler design... less body material removal is necessary hence my reason for defining the area as a cavity.

If a small additional amount of body would need removal to fit a current Kahler or other modern trem it would not take too much effort to accommodate one... as stripping and refinishing of the wood is looking to be almost a given with this rescue.

And we all know how much Pat lub, lub, lubs his sander.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:46 pm

I thought it might be the 2300. I've never used a Kahler before so curious to see how they feel. Really looking forward to working on this one, but I think I may be diluting myself with projects. The next one I was to start would have been the Genesis bass, but that will take a back seat to this one.
Ice - I can take pics of of the neck join - it looks like some of the neck is still in the pocket, and some of the body is still one the neck. Also the greenie as you mention is set for it's new paint job. I haven't posted all that work as I figured you all have seen it before, but I will post the finished pics after it is painted. Only difference will be metallic dark green, and possibly different color logos (havent decided yet)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Sarc... a Kahler 2300 will do just about everything except cook your eggs for breakfast.

The setup manual that came as case candy with my wife's x390 requires 4 different allen wrenches and is capable of a total of 10 separate adjustments for anything you could think a guitar string might need adjustment for.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 pm

The Kahler's flexibility in adjustment is one of its selling points. Unlike any other bridge I am aware of, you can adjust the string spacing, or the space between strings, on a Kahler.

I 'think' a flyer will drop in a 'Pro' rout, but the screw holes won't all line up.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Good lord. I think I passed out when I saw the picture. It's a dream come true! Perhaps I'm being a bit forward here, but, does the current owner want it back or is it yours now?
J.a.c.aranda87
J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:08 am

Should be on it's way to me as we speak
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:33 am

Well. If it's yours would you be interested in...uh...working out an arrangement? Smile Seriously. I would give almost anything to have one. Or at least play it. I'm sure you will, but please post detailed notes on it!
J.a.c.aranda87
J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:15 pm

J.a.c.aranda87 wrote:Well. If it's yours would you be interested in...uh...working out an arrangement? Smile Seriously. I would give almost anything to have one. Or at least play it. I'm sure you will, but please post detailed notes on it!

A bit to soon to be thinking like that - will be a while before I can fix it (assuming I can Smile )

And I whill be sure to post pics of the process.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:48 pm

When your favorite guitar player's ultra rare signature model shows up, it's never too soon. haha

I'm sure you'll be able to fix it up! You're the man, from what I've seen here. I'll be following this project too!
J.a.c.aranda87
J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:32 pm

westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 113westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 211westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 414westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 515westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 615westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 713westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 813westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 913westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 1011westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 1110westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 1210westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 1311

Got it today and it looks a bit more difficult than I had hoped. The headstock is missing some small pieces that I'll have to work out, but I'm oppstomistic that I can get it all in one piece. We'll see how good as time passes eh.
So here's what I see:
- The three headstock pieces do not fit together tight - little bits are missing - that's a challenge
- The bit of headstock over the low E is missing - that's a challenge
- It's not made in Korea but Japan
- the trauma to the neck bubbled the finish on the ends of the frets - check how the clear coat is protruding - Hopefully the truss rod works.
- not sure what the round bit is at the point where the neck meets the body - possibly something needed during construction?
- A few dings on the body - no big deal
- The Bayonette joint looks like a typical set neck with no complex tenon or anything odd, but with a nicely carved heel.
- not sure if the PUPS are original , but cool that Matt included them. I'll check my AER300 to see if they are similar at some point.
- I think I can fix it. Smile gonna be awhile though - got a lot of projects going on and need to start finishing some before starting new ones, although I really want to dig into this one.

Thanks again to matarndt for making this available - I'll do my best to bring er back to life eh!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:12 am

Interesting bonding cut between neck and body glued together there. Checked back with the Sign of the Times catalog and it is actually described as a "through body neck design" and not a bayonet...

http://www.westoneguitars.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/0213.jpg?9d7bd4

Obviously no tenon there, wonder why Westone abandoned that design? And if it was MIJ then where exactly? Mats was well gone by then of course.

Finish thickness appears quite thin in areas as well. Does the paint seem as substantial as the Pantera you stripped and re-sprayed green, Sarc?
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 am

Iceman wrote:Interesting bonding cut between neck and body glued together there. Checked back with the Sign of the Times catalog and it is actually described as a "through body neck design" and not a bayonet...

http://www.westoneguitars.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/0213.jpg?9d7bd4

Obviously no tenon there, wonder why Westone abandoned that design? And if it was MIJ then where exactly? Mats was well gone by then of course.

Finish thickness appears quite thin in areas as well. Does the paint seem as substantial as the Pantera you stripped and re-sprayed green, Sarc?
TP says they were all bayonette joints. I think tis was an early WER so maybe FugiGen? who knows - it was the last days of Westone that had these logos.
Paint - thick? they are all thick - give me a sander and I'll get through it eh
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:31 am

Can see a tub of body filler (bondo) being used here.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:07 am

Isn't that a stacked heel with a long tenon? It looks that way and the lower half of the stacked heel is still with the body?

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:47 am

Here's a few Thunder II's with the so called bayonet joint.
westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper PA311229_zps1ffac7d7
westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper PA311228_zps4bdb7d31
Agreed hoax it does appear to have a few layers glued together.
On the other hand a 350 is all one piece for the neck

westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper SANY0291_zps5103819c

westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper SANY0288_zps18daaa75

You can clearly see all 4 'body parts' meeting with the neck on this shot.

westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper SANY0294_zps2b6c719d
On this 390 they didn't bother with the screws, quality control going out the window. Not that they really need them.
Seems the Rabin signature was made at a different plant.
westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper SANY0296_zps71ff3ca6

Last edited by Westbone on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:49 am

- not sure what the round bit is at the point where the neck meets the body - possibly something needed during construction?

maybe a dowel hole to centre the guitar during the routing process (together with that hole in the bridge cavity). You can see what I'm thinking of in this vid: LINK
silence86
silence86

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 am

Those CNC's are something else eh!
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:26 am

westone - Westone Trevor Rabin Signature I /WER100WH fixer upper 2862383783
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 pm

hoax wrote:Isn't that a stacked heel with a long tenon?

Hoax

Getting your shoe collection mixed up with your guitar collection Graham?
westcoaster
westcoaster

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:14 am

Not sure if it stacked, but I'll know more once the finish is gone. And yes - a lot of bondo and wood filler and anything to hold it together - kinda like my first car
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 am

What do you reckon, Made in Korea.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Westbone wrote:
On this 390 they didn't bother with the screws, quality control going out the window. Not that they really need them.

To me it looks like they removed the screws after the glue hardened but before they painted it. Good enough I think.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Nope, never been any screws in that timber.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:38 am

There's an old guitar body with a Kahler 2300 on ebay Germany at the moment. Perhaps worth a look?...LINK
silence86
silence86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:18 am

wish it was black...and closer Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 am

well, they pop up in the USA quite regularly, but you have to be quick to get them I guess...the last one was sold in the USA about 3 days ago (LINK)
silence86
silence86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:39 am

ya - I missed that one - I was camping on an island and some good fishing in
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down