The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guitar Collecting

+7
Iceman
Westbone
DimensionIV-addict
Barry
gittarasaurus
Sgt. Vimes
hoax
11 posters

Go down

Guitar Collecting Empty Guitar Collecting

Post by hoax Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Well I think that I am just about finished now. There is really nothing more that I want. The other day I bought a seventies Les Paul Junior DC. It is due to arrive on Friday. I will restore it over the weekend and I think that I will just be about done.

It is highly likely that I will continue to buy guitars locally and punt them on Ebay as a hobby and I may take on the occasional lost soul if it is cheap and has some minor historical interest i.e. Seventies/Eighties Japanese high quality.

But it is now getting to the stage where I have 2,3,4 - even half a dozen of the same model ( the vast majority are Matsumoku) and its beginning to get plain stupid.

It has taken me 4 years from just about nothing to get to this stage. Over the piece, it has cost me less than nothing and I do really enjoy my guitars.

When I took early retirement from my job 4 years ago. I bought a beat up Thunder 1, then stumbled upon the Rathole.org (Crusty's precurser to Matsumoku.org) and I was hooked.

I have some guitars on the bay right now to recoup some of last weeks spending but the rest of them are staying right where they are.

So if I ever tell you that I have spotted something, remind me of this post.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Guitar Collecting Empty Re: Guitar Collecting

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:41 pm

if one of them is a concordII bass........
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Not a bass amongst them and, as I say, I'm keeping what I have, Sarge.

One day I may retire from being retired and I will start to sell but that is many years away.

I think that the two Prestiges I bought last week have made me think,"Where do I go from here?" I am not fussed on Panteras or Sessions so I reckon that I will just stick.

Hoax

Last edited by hoax on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 pm

so time to kick back and enjoy them eh, great idea. Metal Head
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 pm

hoax wrote:Well I think that I am just about finished now.
Hoax

Roll on Floor Laff
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Hey Mike

Are you thinking that the statement is actually the "hoax". I don't know, I have never got to this place before. I have always been driven by the next find, particularly, the next restoration, but now, there is really nothing else I want.

I do not know if any of the rest of you have arrived at the same place and would be interested to know.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Cripes!
First Johnny loses his muse, now this!? Suspect

Is this one of the signs of the apocalypse? Piper

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm also not so much into the collecting mode as I used to be. I think primarily because I have been spending my money on tools for making guitars and am really looking forward to the list that I would like to build. It is not cheap to go from no wood working tools to having a pretty complete setup. Heck even all the tools for fretting cost a lot. That being said I'm still looking for:
390CB - reasonably priced - they got up pretty high last year.
Rickenbacker 4001
Schon guitar - dang the only one on ebay is asking over 4000
Signature Aurora flat top - haven't seen one for sale in 3 years
BC Rich Bich doubleneck USA made - they go between 6000 and 10,000
and a few others that are not high on the list but would grab if the deal is right. I'll still be looking, but I think I'll be spending much more time building.
But my guess is I'll still be buying them and expect Hoax to do the same in due time Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DimensionIV-addict Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Hoax, I think I know the feeling of where you're at.

I gotta say, I'm almost there. For me it's one more to go then I'm done.
I'll have all the guitars I want and all that I can play, without having an 'over abundance' yet 'have time to treat them right' so to speak.

D-IV Addict
DimensionIV-addict
DimensionIV-addict
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Not at all, Barry.

I will stick around and continue to add nonsense, particularly post derailment, to this forum. I know that there are some who simply asking questions and giving answers. For me, this site is also about blowing off and having a joke and I think that it brings a great added dimension to this site.

I am fairly heavily into my 70's Les Pauls and I visit but have never joined Mylespaulforum. Members here should have a look. There are some nice, gifted, helpful guys, but...... I simply cannot believe, the number of nasty egotistical. pompous, opinionated, aggressive, and frankly nutters blokes who post there!! We are blessed with a fantastic community of nice guys who get along fine.

So I am not, for an instant, signing off. I just think that I have more than enough guitars to murder "Scuttle Buttin', Hideaway, Crossroads" etc

Sarc - With that list, you have long way to go.

Dim - Your reasons are pretty much the same as mine, I guess. I would say to anyone though, Invest in "our kind of guitars" and it is way better than money in the bank, and I can actually prove it to anyone's good lady if needed!!

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:20 pm

collecting guitars is like collecting anything i suppose. your purpose or interest may change over time.
i have found that there are differing aspects of it that hold my interest for a while and then i move on to something else. some things i'll always enjoy doing.
when you've satisfied all the curiosities you had when you started, i guess you have to figure out where that leaves you.

i suppose if i had opportunities to play music with other people, i would spend more time playing and less time collecting and tinkering. but there is little chance of that happening. i have less time to do guitar stuff than i used to. these days i spend most of my time chasing after my 7yr old son for one thing or another.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Yeah, get a life.. Twisted Evil
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:16 pm

gittarasaurus wrote:...these days i spend most of my time chasing after my 7yr old son for one thing or another.
Enjoy it while ya can Mike. Soon enough he'll be 17, and you'll be wondering where he is and what the 'ell he's up to! Suspect

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:20 pm

hoax wrote:Well I think that I am just about finished now. There is really nothing more that I want. The other day I bought a seventies Les Paul Junior DC. It is due to arrive on Friday. I will restore it over the weekend and I think that I will just be about done.

It is highly likely that I will continue to buy guitars locally and punt them on Ebay as a hobby and I may take on the occasional lost soul if it is cheap and has some minor historical interest i.e. Seventies/Eighties Japanese high quality.

But it is now getting to the stage where I have 2,3,4 - even half a dozen of the same model ( the vast majority are Matsumoku) and its beginning to get plain stupid.

It has taken me 4 years from just about nothing to get to this stage. Over the piece, it has cost me less than nothing and I do really enjoy my guitars.

When I took early retirement from my job 4 years ago. I bought a beat up Thunder 1, then stumbled upon the Rathole.org (Crusty's precurser to Matsumoku.org) and I was hooked.

I have some guitars on the bay right now to recoup some of last weeks spending but the rest of them are staying right where they are.

So if I ever tell you that I have spotted something, remind me of this post.
Hoax

...links?...
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:14 am

I've almost stopped even looking, to be honest; I certainly don't have the bug gnawing way at me the way I used to!

Happy with what I have, and even then, most may go because I'm not a collector, per se; I am - or rather was - a player and I don't like to see instruments sitting in a case gathering dust, or worse, in a vault because they're so bloody valuable!

My half formulated plan at the moment is to let Don have the lions' share of what I have on a permanent loan type of thing as he likes to look at 'em; I'll keep one or two back; Electra X195, Vantage Avenger 310 and my acoustic.... anyway, like I say, toying with the idea!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by eyebulger Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 am

corsair wrote:I've almost stopped even looking, to be honest; I certainly don't have the bug gnawing way at me the way I used to!

Happy with what I have, and even then, most may go because I'm not a collector, per se; I am - or rather was - a player and I don't like to see instruments sitting in a case gathering dust, or worse, in a vault because they're so bloody valuable!

My half formulated plan at the moment is to let Don have the lions' share of what I have on a permanent loan type of thing as he likes to look at 'em; I'll keep one or two back; Electra X195, Vantage Avenger 310 and my acoustic.... anyway, like I say, toying with the idea!
And what a fine idea it is John cheers
Sad to say I'm getting a bit like everyone else.
It would need to be a very special guitar to get me to stick my hand in the pocket these days.
I'm not saying it wont happen, just that it would need to be very special indeed.
I'm looking forward to next year when we will have a spare room to store and display them it.
Once I get them all out I might just decide to lighten the load a bit and get back to a manageable number.
Honest truth is, I don't know how many I have and that is a bit frightening affraid

Still looking and having fun with it all though and enjoy the banter that happens around here (helps keep me sane) Guitar Collecting 2480835402 Guitar Collecting 4023321212 Guitar Collecting 4154827492
eyebulger
eyebulger

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:49 am

Surely your collection is not complete without one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130876232161?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eyebulger Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:18 am

Westbone wrote:Surely your collection is not complete without one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130876232161?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Funny you mention this one.
I almost had my hand in the pocket to get one when my wife slapped me under the ear and brought me back to my senses Guitar Collecting 3356915118
eyebulger
eyebulger

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 am

Westbone wrote:Surely your collection is not complete without one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130876232161?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

lol!

The ultimate in bad taste which is only surpassed by their Welsh Dragon version!!

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 am

I can understand, the collection bug will come and go. If collecting grows dull, why not take the challenge to become a great player? Or look to gig every now and again with some guys. If you've got the music in you, do what you need to do to keep it burning. Guitar Collecting 4053770264
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Remember the fine balance between collecting and egas get rid of one and buy 10 more then get rid of another one and buy 20 more etc......Guitar Collecting 3262125054
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down