The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modifying my X750. HELP!

2 posters

Go down

Modifying my X750. HELP! Empty Modifying my X750. HELP!

Post by SirBulletMan Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:42 pm

I recently recovered my Pantera X750 from my attic. It had been just sitting there since about 1990 when I retired it in favor of my custom Carvin. Get this... it was almost in tune still. (about 1/2 step flat). XD. However, the neck pup is bad. I'm thinking about replacing it with a music man. What do you guys think? I would also like to upgrade the 473 tone caps. Any suggestions there? I'm looking for a nice round, fat, and funky bottom. Kinda like my ol lady. LOL.
Here's the other thing... the pearl white finish is now more of a yeller... not yellow, YELLER. What would it look like if I stripped it to the bare wood and put a stain/clear coat finish on it? or is that a no-no. I am not really interested in selling it right now, but if I change my mind later, would this affect the value?
Oh yeah, does anyone know of a good, cheap bridge with the same footprint?

Thanks in advance guys. really glad i found this forum.
SirBulletMan
SirBulletMan

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-02-19

Back to top Go down

Modifying my X750. HELP! Empty Re: Modifying my X750. HELP!

Post by Iceman Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Not certain of anything on this but stripping that finish and paint will most likely gain you a wicked case of tennis elbow with little gained in grain. The paint used on Pantera models was Dupont product called Imron and it wears like iron.

Most all of the Matsumoku builds I've seen which were painted and stripped had grain that was worth a repainting only. Those whose grain was nice to begin with were given a natural or transparent finish at the factory from the start.

Good luck with the resurrection and document your progress for us with pics if you can.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBulletMan Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:31 am

Thanks Iceman. Yeah, I can tell it has a really thick, durable looking finish. I think i'll leave that as is. I'm waiting on parts in the mail right now, but I'll definitely document with pics. this will be my first upgrade ever. I will also be rebuilding an old Lotus (Steinberger copy) headless, P/J pup config.
SirBulletMan
SirBulletMan

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down