The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX

+4
Barry
Stefan 4
corsair
Cortezthekiller
8 posters

Go down

locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX Empty Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX

Post by Cortezthekiller Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi ... I recently purchased my first Westone (!) ... an '85 red Spectrum SX. It is wonderful except it is missing the locking nut. Local guitar shop suggested adding a string tree but I hesitate to modify it in any way. Are there any sources for this part?
Cortezthekiller
Cortezthekiller
Registered Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-01-24

Back to top Go down

locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX Empty Re: Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX

Post by corsair Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 pm

No. However, there is a Kahler behind the nut stringlock that will do the trick, though you'll have to build some sort of base to raise it up to the correct height.
A string tree won't help; it's a stringlock that's needed!

Transparent red or normal red? Pix?
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX Empty Re: Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX

Post by Stefan 4 Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:23 pm

My first and only west one is a spectrum six Smile they are great! I'm sure you'll find something that will fit, or even get a genuine spare. It WILL take some time to source one but that is what makes these guitar so rewarding.
Stefan 4
Stefan 4
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi Cortez and welcome to another Canuck! locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX 1484104633
And congrats on your first Westone! If history tells us anything here, it won't be your last! The Spectrum line is a favourite one of mine and many others here.

We're currently in the process of putting together some definitive info on Westone Tremolo bridges and their corresponding locking nuts/clamps which will soon appear on our web site. Until then about all I can do is reinforce what Corsair has said...I'm afraid there are really no off the shelf replacement parts, especially the locking plates. locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX 3478306455

They could be made I suppose if you are at all handy, Meantime here's at least some useful info: the lock down bolts are 4 mm dia. What a Face

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8697
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:27 am

Welcome Cortez. I do have a spare that works for the later models from 87 forward which would have had used all rectangular clamps. I'm not certain the string spacing is correct for an SX however. Gotta check the archives to see if there is a picture to confirm it.
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-23

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Cortezthekiller Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 am

Thanks for the welcome and the information! Will take a closer look soon but thought it would be helpful as requested to post pictures. I've tried to follow the process outlined in the FAQ ... here goes.

locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX Westonefull_zps1cbe8d90

locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX WestoneHead_zps3043ca91
Cortezthekiller
Cortezthekiller
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cortezthekiller Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:34 am

Iceman ... thanks (!) for checking your spare. In case it helps I've tried to carefully measure from centre (Canadian spelling :-) to centre of the outside holes and it is 28 mm or 1 3/32".

Corsair ... I didn't know there were two kinds of red ... can you tell if I have transparent or normal?

Barry ... yes another Canuck locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX 1484104633 (not too far from you ... Toronto). And yes if I see another Westone I won't hesitate. I'm blown away by the quality from top to bottom.
Cortezthekiller
Cortezthekiller
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:28 am

Ahhh, right; you've got the bit that really matters so that's all good!! Now, our very own beloved SgtVimes has a supply of the locking washers that you need and for the postage he will fire - at a minimum, I suggest you get at least two sets!! - them in your direction! When you get 'em, you put one underneath the strings, and one above...
That'll be 8 of the triangular washers and 4 of the rectangular... The bolts are indeed 4mm and lets just hope that the E/A hole isn't stripped - which might be why you no loger have them; they were taken off and discarded because the holes no longer worked!
If they are stripped, it's not insurmountable; I have here a nifty little gadget to repair just that very thing!

And it's not transparent red, the red ones are both solid - I should engage brain really, eh!! - its just that yours has the red fretboard, like my MX....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 am

Cortezthekiller wrote:... And yes if I see another Westone I won't hesitate. I'm blown away by the quality from top to bottom.
Preaching to the choir brother, preaching to the choir! Razz

Did you see the Spectrum information on our web site? HERE
You've got some collecting to do! Twisted Evil

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:22 am

No kidding there John... Cortez is most of the way there.

I was assuming that the entire housing was missing. Getting the clamps should be a snap with the Sarge in the house.
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-23

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Stefan 4 Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:21 am

Very nice! I want one with the red fingerboard. The guys on here are amazing and as others have said SgtVimes will sort you out Smile
Stefan 4
Stefan 4
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:49 pm

As little off topic, but it never ceases to amaze me that someone would, back in the 80's spend a not insubstantial amount of money on a guitar and then fail to take care of it. I've never understood how you would lose bits of it. Fortunately, I've not had to source missing parts yet, but I can understand how frustrating it must bee

Anyway - welcome onboard Cortez, other than the locking nut issue your speccy looks in pretty good shape. Here's hoping the sarge can sort you out with the bits you need, and remember to clear some space in your house, you're going to end up with lots more westies.
westcoaster
westcoaster

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Sorry Cortez, I completely forgot about Sgt.Vimes and his magical box of beautiful bits!
CLICK HERE
It's your lucky day and you'll be up and dive bombing in no time Wink

westcoaster wrote:..I've never understood how you would lose bits of it...
Yeah same here. Of course, you can easily drop a screw or other small part while doing some maintenance work, but a trem bar? A saddle? Pick guard? Cover plates!?
Sheesh.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Cortezthekiller Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:44 pm

corsair wrote:When you get 'em, you put one underneath the strings, and one above...
That'll be 8 of the triangular washers and 4 of the rectangular... The bolts are indeed 4mm

Thanks. The picture on Sgt. Vimes' post has an option for M4 x 8mm and 12mm bolts. I assume I need 3 bolts ... do you know which I should ask for?
Cortezthekiller
Cortezthekiller
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:26 pm

you'll get both types of bolts Cortez Smile

Last edited by Sgt. Vimes on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Cortezthekiller Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:29 am

Thanks Sgt. (just realized the last post was from you), Corsair and everyone else for their help on this. I hope soon to have a happy Spectrum SX!
Cortezthekiller
Cortezthekiller
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 am

Use the longer of the 4mm bolts on the E/A strings.

Due to the thickness of the E/A strings the longer bolt will have more purchase.

The shorter one's tend to strip out the thread on these strings.

Can't remember off the top of my head but you might have to shorten it a mm or 2, as it could bind on the headstock underneath the locking block.

Last edited by Westbone on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duh!)
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cortezthekiller Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks - makes sense now that you mention it. Saves me some trial and error. I really hope the reason there are parts missing in the first place is NOT related to the threads being stripped. I'll check that out first and be careful to get the correct bolt lengths for each position.
Cortezthekiller
Cortezthekiller
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX Empty Resolved!

Post by Cortezthekiller Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi ... the package of bits from Sgt. Vimes (thanks!) arrived today. For the benefit of those who may come after, here is how it worked out.

First, I was fortunate in nothing was stripped. The bolts threaded in nicely.

I used the "sandwich" technique suggested by corsair. It worked for the outer strings using the 8mm bolt for the E/B strings and the 12mm bolt for the E/A strings. However when I tried to sandwich the D/G strings, I found placing the nut under the strings raised them up too high. This picture tries to show it ... the D/G strings are floating above the "V" grooves.

locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX Middletoohigh_zps5ce0a21b

The combination of eliminating the under nut and using the 8mm bolt for this middle section worked very well.

locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX MiddleJustRight_zpsdb506c9e

The result is nice and tight and keeps the guitar in tune when using the whammy bar.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Cortez
Cortezthekiller
Cortezthekiller
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 pm

OK... it doesn't matter if the strings aren't touching the bottom of the groove in the stringlock; the locking action should still be happening between the 2 plates. The angle of those strings as they exit the nut isn't ideal either...
What you have there is a very efficient guillotine which will cut the string life of the D/G strings quite markedly....

That's the Transparent Red, like my MX.
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Cortezthekiller Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Makes sense ... the best way to lock would be to use the 2 plates. I tried it but was foiled (perhaps temporarily) by the bolt length - 8mm too short and 12mm too long.
Cortezthekiller
Cortezthekiller
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Excellent! Glad you're up and running! locking - Wanted - Locking Nut for Spectum SX 1247806006
We've got a great bunch o' guyz here.

I've recently also picked up an SX (blue) but I was lucky enough to get her completely intact. Have you had a peek "under the hood" yet? How do you like/dislike the tone?

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down