The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cutlass Classic - pickup position 2

2 posters

Go down

pickup - Cutlass Classic -  pickup position 2 Empty Cutlass Classic - pickup position 2

Post by Meadows Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi there, new to the forum and would appreciate some help and advice regarding my Cutlass classic which I purchased last year and is now my favourite guitar playability and almost sound wise.

Position 3 (neck) is what I use most for funk, jazz, reggae, blues

Position 1 (bridge) is also good....but

Position 2 (neck plus first single coil from bridge) is almost no different from the neck

I have checked both pickups are working by tapping them with a screw driver. I have adjusted pickup heights also but no real difference.

Has anyone else experienced this or do I need to check the wiring has not been changed?

If this is just due to the pickup strength of the humbucker would I be causing any hum problems by wiring the complete bucker to position two?

Lastly, has anyone changed the pups on these before and if so how successful were your results..clean tone wise?

Many thanks for your time
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2013-01-19

Back to top Go down

pickup - Cutlass Classic -  pickup position 2 Empty Re: Cutlass Classic - pickup position 2

Post by Westbone Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 am

There is a difference but not hugely different.

A little more 'glassy' in the middle position.

My bridge pup is 3mm and the neck 4mm from the strings.

You won't hear a big difference at bedroom volume.

Crank it a bit!!

As for changing the pickups, never needed too, they're just fine.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

pickup - Cutlass Classic -  pickup position 2 Empty Re: Cutlass Classic - pickup position 2

Post by Meadows Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:47 am

Hi Westbone

Many thanks for getting back to me. Your spot on, it is just a little more 'glassy'. I wasn't sure if it was just this particular guitar or this is how they were intended to sound/blend. Pup heights to strings 1mm different on each to yours. Thanks for clearing that up.

I always try and keep my guitars original and will as you suggest, Crank it a bit. It has yet to played out live by me, mainly studio work to date but I am tempted to wire the full bucker into the second position with the neck single coil just to see how it sounds if when cranked the difference is not that noticeable. I really want this to be my main gigging guitar, the neck is amazing and just wants to be played.

Just out of interest how different sound and playability wise is the Classic Corsair?, would love to try one at some stage.

Thanks again
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2013-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down