The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bleedin' treble bleed

3 posters

Go down

Bleedin' treble bleed Empty Bleedin' treble bleed

Post by IanO Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi all,

Hope you a great Christmas and are not suffering from all the excessive food and drink consumption.

Being the only Bod in the office today, I spent much time on T'internet, as I've been feeling the itch to once again attack my strat with tools!
I have therefore purchased the advised capacitor and resistor to do a treble bleed mod (cheap, easy and apparently miraculous) and will try to avoid melting the wrong bits later on.
This got me thinking as to my trusted Thunder and would the same job be good for it. Has anyone done this before as the website I got the info from dealt mainly with single coils and advised that different values would probably be needed for Humbuckers. Does anyone have any advice as to the capacitor and resistor values for the MMK45s I assume are in it. Is it worth it at all?

As usual your words of wisdom will be gratefully received.

I wish you all a happy new year

Cheers

Ian
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Bleedin' treble bleed Empty Re: Bleedin' treble bleed

Post by Westbone Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:03 pm

.022 works well with mmk 45's. on it's own.

Don't expect anything remarkable, just retains the highs as you roll down the volume.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:53 am

Cheers Westbone, Will try that when the shops open again tomorrow.
The strat has worked really well, although I could only try it at low volume. Will try it louder later.

Thanks

Ian
IanO
IanO

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:26 pm

I've done the treble bleed with just the cap and no resistor on several guitars - non-Westone - with great success.

My goal was to get that great ping/high end sparkle that Adam Jones from Tool gets when he rolls his volume down on his LP custom. And the treble bleed does it pretty well. But that's not what he does. He uses a cheap graphic EQ pedal and turns it on when he turns down. So he reshapes the tone of the rolled-back volume with the graph instead of the treble bleed.

I have considered removing the treble bleed from my guitars, but have not done so yet. It's a fun mod to test out. If you like it, keep it!

Speaking of wiring mods - I've wired my strat so that the front tone controls the neck and middle pups and the back tone controls the bridge. Standard strat wiring has no tone for the bridge pickup - the one that needs it MOST! This seems crazy to me. Seriously, do you really want to roll the tone back on that neck pickup very often? I also added a push/pull on the back tone pot so that I can turn the bridge pickup on regardless of switch position. So I can get 2 settings that a standard strat can't - neck and bridge together, and all 3 pups on.

$0.02
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Colt,

I found this website with an intriguing idea that I think would do what you're after. I may well try it myself at a later date. My next strat mod is a second S/C next to the bridge S/C to be switched humbucker with the second coil Series/Off/Parallel.....My strat has a Duncan APS1 at the bridge so have had to find the original strat P/up. Am now waiting for my head to stop after tying to work out the wiring( not my forte). Also thinking of destroying a cheap s/Plate as opposed to the original but that means even more soldering etc. Seems quite appealing to me though...a switchable HB. Might look cool too. I had thouht about mounting it under the s/plate to see if I could get the effect (albeit tgo a lesser degree) thus maintaining th original S/C look.
IanO
IanO

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 pm

That's a neat idea but I'm not looking for a humbucker sound in the bridge of my strat. I have super strats for that. But for someone who wants to do it all with one guitar, your proposal is a good one.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:03 am

Sorry Colt,

I neglected to put the link in for the mod I was suggesting for you:- http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/active_strat.pdf

I think this would be relevant to what you were hoping to achieve not the additional S/C that I went on to describe . The above site has some great hints 'n' mods.

I hope this makes things a little clearer and sorry for my mistake

Cheers

Ian
IanO
IanO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down