The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gold pin tubes from JJ

2 posters

Go down

gold pin tubes from JJ Empty gold pin tubes from JJ

Post by colt933 Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Product endorsement:

They're pricey, but the gold pin preamp tubes from JJ are worth it. They are so warm and smooth - it's a big difference, bigger than I thought it would be. You owe it to yourself to get at least one to try it.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

gold pin tubes from JJ Empty Re: gold pin tubes from JJ

Post by The Chad Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:49 am

What did you put them into, a Marshall?
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:44 pm

The Chad wrote:What did you put them into, a Marshall?

I have one gold pin ECC83S in channel 2 of the dual rec. I used to like channel 3 the best, but now it's channel 2. I have a high gain JJ in channel 3, but am going to get another gold pin for it. Basically, I used the 'my personal fave' set from eurotubes but with 4 KT77s instead of 2. This includes swapping the stock rectifiers for GZ34s. I liked the boogie before, but now it's truly spectacular. I normally use 'spongy' and switch back and forth between tube and solid state rectifier depending on the song. For Tool, it's spongy and solid state. For basic rock and any soloing, it's spongy and tube. For clean, it's bold and tube. The solid state rectifier, for me, just does not work for soloing.

The Marshall has the stock tubes in it - it's not very old and I bought it used on Craig's list really cheap. I'll probably go with JJ E34L for power (not EL34) and at least one gold pin in the preamp section. But it's got a wicked buzz right now and I want to fix that first. I swapped the preamp tubes, one by one, and the buzz never really sent away. So it's not the tubes. Those amps are notorious for cold solder joints. I'll probably take it apart and heat up each solder joint.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down