The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

+15
westcoaster
gittarasaurus
mortarman120gang11c
Sgt. Vimes
jim
TVill25
J.a.c.aranda87
grogg
The Chad
Warrn
midhilis
colt933
Westbone
Barry
corsair
19 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Empty Re: Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 am

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 3_110string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 411

So only about an hour and I have the rough shape of the neck. lots of fine tuning around the heel and headstock to do.

Back to top Go down

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Empty Re: Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

Post by Sgt. Vimes Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 pm

awesome!
are you copying a particular neck profile or shaping it to your needs?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:awesome!
are you copying a particular neck profile or shaping it to your needs?

I'm just going by feel, but making sure it is thicker than the previous neck - kinda like the "baseball bat" strat necks of old. I don't want to make it too thin because of the extra tension. I think I will go a bit thinner than it sits currently, we'll see.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 pm

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 811

Neck is carved, and no I did not use the sander - all hand carved, feels good, neck is straight.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:02 pm

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 911

I did however use the spindle sander to do the little Westone curves at the top of the headstock - I think its close to the Westone look.
Gotta order up some tuners so I can drill the tuner holes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:36 pm

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 1314892585 string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 413889333
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Very tricky stuff Pat! I'm amazed you're doing it by feel alone.
"We don need no steenkin' CNC routers!"

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Barry wrote:Very tricky stuff Pat! I'm amazed you're doing it by feel alone.
"We don need no steenkin' CNC routers!"

CNC??? is that short for Candian National Copyaguitarmachine? Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:43 am

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Laugh4

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:11 pm

We stand impressed yet again Sarc!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:19 pm

how did you shape and smooth the back of the neck.
i saw 2 large rasp files...
did you use anything else for fine tuning the shape? scrapers or something?
then just sandpaper for finish
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 pm

gittarasaurus wrote:how did you shape and smooth the back of the neck.
i saw 2 large rasp files...
did you use anything else for fine tuning the shape? scrapers or something?
then just sandpaper for finish

I started with a coarse rasp and fine tuned with the fine rasp. Then for the detail areas around the headstock I used sandpaper from a spindle sander that I glue over a wood dowel so that I can do it by hand and still have control. I did also use a scraper after most of it was done which has a straight edge, a semi circle edge and concave edge which was helpful in finding some small high spots. I ended up using the scraper on another project for removing the finish off of the guitar - a lot faster than sanding and suprisingly controlable - no scarping the wood - just the paint.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:17 pm

That looks fantastic, good stuff sarc
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Empty Getting close

Post by Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:37 am

Ok so I got my tuners finally and did my preinstall to see how it would look. One issue when using a drill press on a neck with an angle is I could not do the lower (closer to the nut) tuners with the guitar flat without a block underneath. So it slipped a bit on the second to last tuner on the treble side (the first high E) and that is just a bit out of line with the rest. Nothing that will affect it's purpose, but is noticable at a close look - maybe 2-3 mm off from the rest. I'll have to find a better solution than what I did so in the future it is perfect, but once this neck is painted, it will be barely noticeably if at all unless you already knew it happened. Also cool to see the original Westone/Electra neck that I used to make a template for this neck - didn't notice when I took the pic that it was there - but what a difference eh? You can also see on that neck, that I pulled some frets for practice prior to doing my first refret. If anyone wants that Westone/Electra neck - it goes for shipping cost only - it has served me well.

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 812

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 912

And in the background ya can see my strat build body which is going very nicely from some great alder I got. A shame it isn;t going to be mine, but instead my son has plans for that one. I really wanted a classic sunburst, but he wants to paint it - either way, theat is going to be a great strat.

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 1310

Next up - fret markers, and the frets, truss rod cover, and then back to the wonderful world of sanding, painting, sanding, logo, clear, sanding, electronics and hopefully this bird flys.
Still haven't decided on PUPS for this. TP says the PUPS were custome for Rabin so I gotta go with what I want as I will never match the original.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:23 am

Another thing - There is not much room for the logo - I think I may just go with the bird logo. But I'll print both the bird and the bird with Westone underneath and see what it looks like
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:44 am

Exciting, eh!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Why not do your own logo with a bit of a Westone edge? Looking great by the way.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 am

grogg wrote:Why not do your own logo with a bit of a Westone edge? Looking great by the way.

Thanks! I'm going to try to get it to look as original as possible - a lot of it is still going to be guesswork since I can't get trever to let me borrow his to compare Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Coming along very nice sarc

What do you reckon it says on the truss cover, 'Trevor Rabin'
twelve
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm

Westbone wrote:Coming along very nice sarc

What do you reckon it says on the truss cover, 'Trevor Rabin'
twelve

I do believe it says Trevor Rabin, but not sure what I want it to say on mine. Maybe my name, maybe sarcaster (although that really is meant for my strat), maybe Poser Rabin? Maybe nothing? Actually hadn't thought of what to put there yet.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 am

No, no. What do you think it says on the original...twelve or custom ???

We know it says TR but the smaller writing on the cover.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 am

It's hard to tell. I have a copy of the magazine with it on the cover, I'll see if I can tell
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:09 am

Installed the Abolone inlays. I used a small forstner bit which made the cirlces perfect and left them protrude just a bit above the fretboard rather than take the chance of drilling too deep. A filed off the bit extra with a nut file.

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 112

StewMac makes this cool fret bending tool. I can't imagine doing this by hand with any consistency

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 210

I cut the ends of the fret that go into the slot so when they are installed, the fret will not be seen on the side of the fretboard. Later I will fill the empty slots on the side of the fretboard with ebony dust and glue and it should match up pretty well.

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 311string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 412

Clipping the ends off:

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 512

And there ya go. It really looks like a neck now. I still need to level them off and then do all the little detail work.

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 613

Looks like it it almost done, but still lots of work to do. Side dots, slotting the nut, drill the set screws for the back of the headstock, fill the side of the fret slots, make a truss rod coverfinal sand, paint, make logo, clear coat and then off to sanding and painting the body, install hardware (find the right PUPS) and anything else I've forgotten - yikes, still a lot to go
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 am

Excellent work!
did you go with stainless steel wire in the end?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:42 am

Sgt. Vimes wrote:Excellent work!
did you go with stainless steel wire in the end?

thanks !

I wanted to, but did not. All I read is that it tears up the tools and at this point I think its ok to go with the standard stuff. Maybe I'll try it on one of my builds that I'm working on
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:42 am

This is the neck after using a sanding block to take the outside edges off, and then beveled a bit. Used a sharpie to mark the top of the frets before I level them so I can see if anything is too low. It was all pretty close, but did need more work then the strat I just refretted.

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 614string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 712
Then after leveling the frets, I speant a lot of time crowning and shaping the ends. Sanding with a few grits then polished up. Looking nice and shiny. This came out much better than my strat - which was ok, but I'm getting a new bridge for the strat at which point I'll put more time into the sanding/polishing part. Gotta say the fretwork takes a lot of patience, but the more you put into it, the better the results. I'm pretty happy with it.

Hopefully tomorrow I can drill the holes for the tuner set screws, then finish sand the neck and get ready for paint!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am

I find fret work really rewarding, and you're right, it takes lots of patience!
I found using a black ink really hard to see the hair-thin crown line, I use red now and it's so much clearer on the nickel.
Also I love using the micro mesh sanding cloths, it might be a little bit OCD, but I give each fret 10 strokes back and forth right the way through the 9 grit grades for a uniform finish.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:16 pm

I can imagine Trevor Rabin having fun himself following the progress on your project. What a beautiful neck and how entertaining to watch this topic! Can we have a slideshow when it is finished?
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:56 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:Also I love using the micro mesh sanding cloths

I had some of those that I use for finishing the clear coats, so I used them as well on the frets just to get a bit more smoothness to them - works great!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 pm

jim wrote:I can imagine Trevor Rabin having fun himself following the progress on your project. What a beautiful neck and how entertaining to watch this topic! Can we have a slideshow when it is finished?
I wish Trevor would follow it, maybe he would send me his so I can do a proper replica. Not sure about a slideshow - but maybe a video of how it sounds when I'm done?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 pm

So I sent a message to TR on his facebook page:

"Any chance you could send me a clear picture of your Westone 12 string guitar? I'm attempting to replicate it, and can't quite find a clear picture of the headstock."

And I got a reply. Not sure if it is him or an assistant or something but got this back:

"sure, real busy right now, but i'll get to it soon."

How cool would that be?

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TVill25 Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:03 am

Very Very Cool Indeed.
TVill25
TVill25

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Glad you reached out to him.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:02 pm

during your correspondence with Trevor (or his representative), perhaps you could solicit his comments on the guitar you are emulating.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:15 pm

I did reply with a thank you and sent a pic of the guitar as it is currently and maybe he'll like it enough to trade for his Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Very cool - Trevor Rabin sent these pics back to me with the caption "not the best quality"

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Tr_12_11string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Tr_12_10

So it may still be someone else doing this for him but cool either way, but that is definatley the current studio he has as seen in his new video.

Not the best quality as he says, but I'm not going to bug him for better pictures. Pictures were reversed as shown. I think the truss rod cover says Trevor Rabin Model. Very cool - made my day
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Fixed.
string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Tr_12_11_zpse4153f5d
string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Tr_12_10_zpsbfb60e58

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks Barry!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Dyslexicor of the Borg uses his mighty inverto-ray, and, zooooop! Smile
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 pm

So you think the small word on the headstock is Model?
His headstock is a bit wider towards the neck than mine - damn I feel like starting over. I did send him a pic of mine, but no comment - no news is good news?

Last edited by sarcaster on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:33 pm

So looking closely, the truss rod cover mimics the shape of the headstock.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Westbone wrote:No, no. What do you think it says on the original...twelve or custom ???

We know it says TR but the smaller writing on the cover.
Weird, when I upload these pics they are not as clear, but the pics I got I think I can confidentally say its Trevor Rabin Model
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 am

I want that SO badly it hurts....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:45 am

If you need a tr cover..TR model. Give me a shout.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:21 am

Westbone wrote:If you need a tr cover..TR model. Give me a shout.

What's your method? I was thinking of making it myself, but not sure how I want to do the text. Paint pen maybe, or maybe dremmel out the text and paint it so it is recessed a bit?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Yes, please Arthur tell us how it's done! I always assumed a sign shop could do a perfect engraved piece, they do it on nameplates all the time after all. e.g. http://www.signsationstrc.com/name-plates-header/ but I never got to checking it with them since I have no urgent need for one.

They probably wouldn't cut or saw it in the right custom shape and bevelled edge but that shouldn't be a problem for Pat to deal with I reckon. What material are they made of anyway, acrylic? Same as pickguards? (some one some two ply). Sorry to high jack this thread btw. but It intrigues me and since it's brought up...
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm

There is a guy put there that can do TRC and has done several for my fellow Electra forum members. I will search the forums there and see if I can find the link.
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 pm

TRC suitable plastic comes as a 2 layer laminate in any color combination you might imagine. Then it is only a matter of what size, shape and what you want written in it to be.

A CNC VMC or computer engraving machine can crank them out at a rate of a couple hundred an hour once the code is written.
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Your on the right track jim.
My buddies a jeweller, he engraves them and I finish them off.
string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Dscf5002z

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Dscf5004p

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Dscf4958x

string - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  - Page 3 Dscf4995

Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by METESKY Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Now that is nice work...
METESKY
METESKY
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

So I think think I will try using the dremmel as my engraver and give it a shot. I have a few sheets of pickguard material so I have plenty of material to make mistakes on Smile

Those TRC's look very good West
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next