The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

...raise your hand if you're into birds...

4 posters

Go down

...raise your hand if you're into birds... Empty ...raise your hand if you're into birds...

Post by Iceman Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:25 am

...my hand is up. Found this one on the Tube today and just had to share it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gyxBzdBz5A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Our land sits on a micro ecosystem of the northen prairie technically known as an oak savannah, (yes, Damian... I realize it is nothing like the real thing) which sounds rather strange for Minnesota, but there you have it.

Our property here has the only really sizable stand of old growth oak forest left in the surrounding 5 miles or so. About 18 acres of the stuff and oak wilt has been slowly chewing away at it for awhile now. While the county extension service people have been after me to consider rooting it out, it is actually good news for these winged jackhammers, as well as for the owls (at least 5 species) that we hear nearly every night and some nights several at the same time.

If any of you have had the privilege to see one of these bad boys I'm sure you'll agree they are quite the sight to behold.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

...raise your hand if you're into birds... Empty Re: ...raise your hand if you're into birds...

Post by Westbone Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:33 am

...raise your hand if you're into birds... Gatlinggunoverkill85491
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

...raise your hand if you're into birds... Empty Re: ...raise your hand if you're into birds...

Post by corsair Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:12 am

Yeah, Steve.. I am an avid birder and am enjoying the Australian birds around the house at the moment!!

That's a big bird; the only woodpecker I've ever seen is one on Jersey which was about half that size.
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:54 pm

The pileated's up here can see as much as 21" in length and an 18" wingspan. As their ranges extends north they tend to grow bigger as most all animals do. Added bulk to stretch themselves through the lean winter months.

NZ is quite the paradise for birding isn't it? I am situated smack dab in the middle of the warbler flyway as they move back to Canada in the spring. Recorded sightings of 22 separate species one day last April of warblers alone.

Not sure what sort of deer you have (if any?) in NZ but if so what does an average specimen run for size on the hoof? Up 4 hours north of me where I hunt they can see out to 240 # on occasion. Once you get north of Barry however in the true Great White North that size can become almost commonplace in some areas.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:54 am

Yes, it is and I've been lucky enough to see most of the critically endangered ones with the exception of the kakapo; seen and heard all the others, of which the kokako is my drop dead favourite: google it's song to hear why; I've heard that on a twilight whilst hunting; magical!

However, Australia is not exactly backward in bird species; outrageously blessed with all manner of odd things... parrots by the mile, many many raptors - NZ has two endemic and two native - so I'm having all kinds of fun with the binocs and camera!

Deer in NZ, eh; well, we start with the wapiti in south westland, as well as maybe moose, red deer everywhere, sambar in the middle of the north island, fallow all over the place, 2 herds of whitetail, sika and rusa also up north and chamois and tahr in the southern alps. None of which, I hasten to add, are native; all introduced in the late 19th century by the Poms, who also gave us rabbits, mustelids, cats and the brown rat, which spelled the death knell for many of NZs bird species like the laughing owl.

Weights of the animals aren't huge; I've always managed to carry out what I've killed but a big red will sit you on your arse in a hurry, as will a sambar. Best tasting venison has to be whitetail by a country mile; I've eaten all the rest apart from moose, and there's no contest!

I really enjoyed hunting pigs, to be honest - shooting deer with a .270 is like dropping Elsie the cow in the paddock next door - pigs are clever, sneaky and will do their level best to hurt you, so hunting them with a knife gets the juices flowing big time!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:15 am

Sweet birdy. These north American birds are healthy!

Sorry to intrude in this conversation, the subject-matter of which I sadly know nothing of, but I fear there may be a little surprise in Ice's signature; I have trouble believing "coetaneousness" is latin (but this might be voluntary?).
beavis
beavis

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Good catch, Beavis! A latin equivalent was not really available. I attempted to repair it for the sake of continuity... whadd'ya think?
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:12 am

Iceman wrote:Good catch, Beavis! A latin equivalent was not really available. I attempted to repair it for the sake of continuity... whadd'ya think?

I really don't think anything! My latin was never great and now it's mostly forgotten . Glad to see you're into it though!
beavis
beavis

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down