The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what will be the next collectible guitar brand?

+4
gittarasaurus
Barry
bowenjaybee
Sgt. Vimes
8 posters

Go down

what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Empty what will be the next collectible guitar brand?

Post by Sgt. Vimes Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:37 pm

So, as the title says, what will be the "westone" of the future from todays guitars?
every Vintage (brand) guitar I have played has impressed me in build quality and feel....not so much the pickups
my vote will be Vintage
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Empty Re: what will be the next collectible guitar brand?

Post by Sgt. Vimes Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:49 pm

Addendum:

not that I'm trying to hitch up prices or start hoarding for future profit or anything!
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Empty Re: what will be the next collectible guitar brand?

Post by bowenjaybee Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Squier classic vibe series. Guitars don't come much better for the price.
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:56 pm

bowenjaybee wrote:Squier classic vibe series. Guitars don't come much better for the price.

good call, but they are already collectable, are they not?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:01 pm

I would second the Vintage brand Sarge (but cautiously).
I have 3 of them I enjoy them all. For the most they are good players and good value but do not come anywhere near the quality build of a Mats.

The quality can be somewhat inconsistent. Largely I believe it's because of being built in a high humidity climate (Vietnam mostly) by relatively inexperienced builders. For example, the fret ends on my Telecaster needed major filing

Electronics are sometimes, how you say, um, inexpensive, particularly the dime sized pots and switches which seem prone to quickly corroding and crackling. But, the pickups and the tone they put out are usually very good. Excellent in fact. Both the "Tele" and "Lemon Drop" sound first rate.

I'm not sure this brand will ever reach the coveted status of the Mats output, but they are certainly worthy of collecting and enjoying. Way better than most offerings out there. Wink

The Classic Vibe series has been mentioned several times in these Forums by both me and others, and has always received high praise. Definitely also worth collecting.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:
bowenjaybee wrote:Squier classic vibe series. Guitars don't come much better for the price.

good call, but they are already collectable, are they not?

I don't know... I just know they are great guitars. The Stratocaster's I've played really impressed me. I can't really think of any other brands that could stand up next to a Westone. Most guitar shops I visit have either cheap Fender / Gibson copied junk or very pricey high end branded instruments. I've tried a couple of Vintage basses, they sounded good but I wasn't all that impressed with the necks to be honest.
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:06 pm

one brand i have found to make excellent guitars is Deltatone
this one is getting new pickups, so not all together now, but nice quitled top on this one, mahogany back and neck.
what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Ry%3D400
or maybe this one, a semi hollow with a set neck
what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Ry%3D400what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Ry%3D400
or maybe this really nice shredder with a nicely carved set neck, sharkfin inlays, SSH/5-way and very good sounding pickups
i got the tele about 4yrs ago and i love the way it plays. but typical for no-name brand guitars, the pickups are just plain sounding. i thought the guitar deserved better, so i am changing them out.
the semi hollow is about the same, great build on the body, average sounding pickups.
the shredder though, that one sounds great as it is. you can see the plastic covers on the pickups still, because i have only had it a short time.

i got all of these from ebay. and very cheap. it turns out the owner/distributer of the brand lives here in the SF bay area. i exchanged a few emails with him about the guitars. these are close outs and are the last guitars of these designs. he told me that a new line of designs with upgraded hardware and pickups should be coming out around July this year.
he said they are built in the same factory in china as some well known brands, so they have high quality machinery and experienced workers.
this SG style guitar is amazing. set neck, grover tuners, smokin humbuckers. i have read some trolls give reviews of this guitar on Harmony Central, but they obviously never touched the guitar. it is an excellent guitar. especially for the ridiculous low price
what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Ry%3D400what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Ry%3D400what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Ry%3D400what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Ry%3D400
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:16 pm

gittarasaurus wrote:one brand i have found to make excellent guitars is Deltatone
this one is getting new pickups, so not all together now, but nice quitled top on this one, mahogany back and neck...
We're finding in the shop that a lot of the inexpensive brands that come in, including I'veBinHad um, Ibanez, and Michael Kelly's etc, made in China, are very nicely presented, but under the veneer is total rubbish. It's a real crap shoot.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:17 am

Have a gork at these. All solid timbers. The SX brand. Have a Tele Thinline style, not bad at all.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

These look ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SX-ISIS-1-CUS-24-NA-Guitar-Natural-Maple-Flame-Top-/221034426330?pt=Guitar&hash=item3376adafda

Used to be a dealer in the UK. Not anymore,pity.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by G.A.S. man Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:45 am

Think you can't look past the Squire classic vibe range, There great quality an very well put together...
Vintage are good but i have a Vrs 100c which i liked untill the neck or truss rod went ping one night..
Was sitting in stand an now on the to do list so be very careful as its bowed back near the neck joint...

Gordon Smith make some great guitars which are hand built in the UK based on Gibson's, though the new prices are starting to get steep i think there great secondhand buys right now...

The Danelectro an Hagstrom reissues look very good an get great reviews ...

I have 3 Dearmond guitars which i'll say are fantastic retro guitars which out punched there price group when new..
But then Fender messed about with them an re-branded them as Squires without the USA goldtone an Y2K pickups..
Stay clear as the quality dropped off them too...

Though it depends on the person or people buying them really as to will it be a classic or not i think..

I Think the new Sigma acoustics might be the next future classic as long as build quality an pricing don't have the company struggling...

Electric wise Sterling by Music man, G&l tribute range an Squire Classic vibe are probably the ones to look out for myself....

Then again i could be wrong Don\'t Know
G.A.S. man
G.A.S. man

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Squire Classic Vibe for sure, excellent guitars with Tonerider Safari pups on the 50's Start.

These are pretty good. Dimarzio evalaution/neck, tonezone at the bridge. Pull/push coil taps.

2nd. reissue, wish I'd bought some of the first. Washburn A20. Mahogany body and neck, maple top.

what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Dscf4848d

what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Dscf4849w

what will be the next collectible guitar brand? Dscf4851s

Richwood Les Pauls are a very decent guitar. So's their Tele copies. Good base for an upgrade.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:50 am

I'm gonna say any quality company that almost makes it to the "A list" in the public eye, but goes out of business. These will maintain an underdog appeal, and add to the mystique of the line.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by midhilis Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 pm

I've got 7 Vintage guitars and basses, with another on the way, they're going to outnumber the Westones I'm keeping. Got into them after getting 2 VE2000GG (Gordon Giltrap signature model) electro acoustics, a 6 and a 12 string. For the price they go for the quality is extremely good.
midhilis
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:03 pm

midhilis wrote:I've got 7 Vintage guitars and basses, with another on the way...For the price they go for the quality is extremely good.
what will be the next collectible guitar brand? 1247806006Sounds like GAS is still percolating at your house David!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by midhilis Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks to the curry and draught Bass I had last night, yes.
midhilis
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down