The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge?

4 posters

Go down

bridge - Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge? Empty Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge?

Post by ririraa Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi All

I have an old MIJ Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass with a very basic old bridge, my restoration is not about making it look original but more functional, but I was wondering about using wood filler or dowels to fill up the old bridge screw holes so I can re-drill for the new bridge, does anyone here have any good advice?

Regards

Last edited by ririraa on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed post title to suit content)
ririraa
ririraa
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

bridge - Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge? Empty Re: Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge?

Post by DuoFuzz Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi ririraa,

Your best off using wood dowel to fill the holes up. Find dowel the same diameter or slightly bigger that fits the holes well, you might have to drill out the old holes to match the dowel. Bridge screws have a lot of pressure on them, wood filler doesn't have the strength of wooden dowel and filler tends to fail if there is a screw threaded into it.

It's also worth cutting some slots or sanding a small flat along the length of your dowels, this stops the holes becoming airtight and pushing the dowels back out when the glue has been applied.

For smaller pickguard screw holes, I've started using bamboo skewers from the supermarket, they're great for this sort of repair!

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

bridge - Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge? Empty Re: Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge?

Post by ririraa Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks for the advice Dan.
I'm off to find some dowel and some wood glue, any thoughts on some good wood glue.

Cheers

ririraa
ririraa
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm using Cascamite to glue veneer to the front of a guitar and it works really well, but for gluing dowel into holes, good old PVA is as good as anything.....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by ririraa Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Cheers Corsair, I'm finally getting around to fixing up my project instruments.

Also sourcing a bridge for 17.5mm string spacing for this short scale beasty.
Found this very study expensive black Schaller bridge.

Allparts UK Schaller Bridge

Schaller site

I already have 2 EMG humbuckers ready to go
EMG SEHB

Last edited by ririraa on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More Info)
ririraa
ririraa
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

bridge - Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge? Empty Applying copper tape to the cavities

Post by ririraa Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 pm

1) Before the copper tape
bridge - Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge? FrontFull

2) After
bridge - Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge? FrontFullCopper

3) After
bridge - Shaftesbury Les Paul Bass: Replacing an old bass bridge? RearElectricCav
ririraa
ririraa
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 pm

You'll have a bridge + pick ups worth twice as much as the guitar. Good luck. Laughing
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ririraa Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:36 pm

It's been very difficult sourcing the right sized parts for this shortscaler, I'm revising my bridge decision and I'm going with the original for now.

Should be finished this weekend, will post more pics when I'm done.
ririraa
ririraa
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by ririraa Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Finally finished ish!

Headstock
https://2img.net/h/i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff391/ririraa/1HeadstockCloseupComplete.jpg

Body
https://2img.net/h/i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff391/ririraa/2BodyGuitarCompleteAlt.jpg

Full Guitar
https://2img.net/h/i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff391/ririraa/3FullGuitarComplete.jpg
ririraa
ririraa
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Looking good....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down