The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder III wiring oddity.

+5
bowenjaybee
Iceman
DreamRaven
colt933
chaypup
9 posters

Go down

thunder - Thunder III wiring oddity. Empty Thunder III wiring oddity.

Post by chaypup Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:49 am

Hey all. My newly aquired Thunder III is a bit weird. The passive tone pot is acting as a volume control which certainly isn't what I've found on other Thunders (and superheadlesses)
Heres a diagram of what is different on mine compared to the wiring diagram on the .info site (which I can't copy to paste in here unfortunately)

Is this whats causing the problem? How can I fix the capacitor problem?

Cheers for any help!
thunder - Thunder III wiring oddity. Thunde10

And heres a pic of the actual circuit. You can just about see the black wire coming from the bottom connector of the pot - there's no capacitor, - unless it's inside the sleeve?
thunder - Thunder III wiring oddity. Dscn0011
chaypup
chaypup

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder III wiring oddity. Empty Re: Thunder III wiring oddity.

Post by colt933 Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:06 am

Without a capacitor, you have another volume pot.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by chaypup Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks Colt. Does anyone have a photo of the wiring inside their Thunder II or III so I can see how it's wired in?

EDIT: Just looked inside my superheadless after seeing on .info that they have the same wiring and it looks like the capacitor was just replaced with the black wire and the brown wire sent straight from the pot to the pcb - whether this was done in error at Matsumoku (surely not!) or later on for some reason I don't know. I would still appreciate a pic of some Thunder III wiring though just to confirm that I'm right before I go messing around in the gizzards!
chaypup
chaypup

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:53 am

Chaypup, you can save the image from the .info site to your machine and then upload to the forums, I have just stopped hotlinking because it sucks bandwidth, and that is what is expensive!

I have a thunder III, but it is passive. My wiring is around here somewhere, but I am not sure it will be of any use...
DreamRaven
DreamRaven
Administrator

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by chaypup Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:58 am

I tried that DreamRaven, but my Mac says it doesn't recognise the file format (but won't say what it is) I tried copying the pic into another program but only a small section copied. Thanks for the offer, but I think the passive one would be different! Cheers!
chaypup
chaypup

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:03 pm

My luck as well chaypup.

It is only downloading a smaller 200x200 .jpg file of the picture and not the entire diagram. I tried with all 3 of them.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Looking through a small fragment of Thorn's pages, I found that quite a lot of the imagery is sliced up and presented in sections. This used to be de riguer when broadband was less available. It meant that you got many bits slowly coming in, giving you something to look at whilst waiting. It may also have been done for exactly the reason that you are experiencing, if it is in bits it is more difficult to take off the site.

Give me the address of the page, as a link and I can take a look, it will also serve a better purpose for anyone else viewing this thread, they can click directly through to that diagram from here without having to search through the .info site, and maybe end up in the wrong place. That is what hypertext links were designed for! Smile
DreamRaven
DreamRaven
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Just get a snipping tool. Naughty Twisted Evil ..... but nice

thunder - Thunder III wiring oddity. Thunde10
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:48 pm

You are right, my wiring photo would have been useless! Mine is a 6 string, not a bass

Deplorable behaviour mr bjb
DreamRaven
DreamRaven
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:12 pm

A snipping tool...?? Is that sort-of what I used to use on the lambs and calves come tailing/docking? Or is that like a programme I have called "Grab" which takes screen shots?

Naughty because?? Copyright thing? Thinking on that; is watermarking the pix a good idea or not?? I'm not real big on people grabbing anything on the info site to use on eBay if they haven't asked or otherwise cleared it with the site admin... But I suppose with a site like this we have no option to let that happen?
corsair

Number of posts : 6321

Back to top Go down

Post by chaypup Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks Bowenjaybee! So, when I wire the capacitor from nubbin no.3 on the passive tone pot, can I solder the other end to anywhere on the underside of the pot like the black wire is at the moment or is there a connector I can't see?

chaypup
chaypup

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:43 pm

chaypup wrote:So, when I wire the capacitor from nubbin no.3 on the passive tone pot, can I solder the other end to anywhere on the underside of the pot like the black wire is at the moment or is there a connector I can't see?

Yep just solder one end of the cap to the pots third tab and the other end anywhere on the back of the pot.
bowenjaybee

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:16 pm

corsair wrote:A snipping tool...?? Is that sort-of what I used to use on the lambs and calves come tailing/docking? Or is that like a programme I have called "Grab" which takes screen shots?

Naughty because?? Copyright thing? Thinking on that; is watermarking the pix a good idea or not?? I'm not real big on people grabbing anything on the info site to use on eBay if they haven't asked or otherwise cleared it with the site admin... But I suppose with a site like this we have no option to let that happen?

When it comes to internet material I’m not too concerned about copyright. “Grab” was created by Apple, and Windows 7 has “Snipping tool” built in, an invitation from the big boys for anybody to copy what they want.

One of the reasons Thorn closed the Westone info site was because he was pissed at people copying his work. I respected that and that’s why I’ve never posted any images from his site on these forums before. He worked bloody hard to get the information available to the world, but did he own the rights to the Westone logo? The magazine scans? or the catalogues? No.

The floodgates are now open and the Westone info material now belongs to anybody who has the knowledge to grab it to a hard drive.
bowenjaybee

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:15 pm

This is where those dragons are...

Because Mr smith and Mr Wesson invented the colt 45, does that mean you have free reign to shoot someone in cold blood?

I am guessing you have not had something you have created taken and used without permission and then used for profit.

Yes, some of the things on Thorn's site he didn't own, but most of the time he did credit his sources...

As I have said, this argument echos around the internet 24hr a day, and no one has the answer
DreamRaven
DreamRaven
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:58 pm

corsair wrote:Naughty because?? Copyright thing? Thinking on that; is watermarking the pix a good idea or not?? I'm not real big on people grabbing anything on the info site to use on eBay if they haven't asked or otherwise cleared it with the site admin... But I suppose with a site like this we have no option to let that happen?

Yes, there is a 'right to copy' issue, because a possibly unauthorised copy has been produced, and once a work has had that happen to it, it is difficult to gain that control back. Yes, the point of 'if you dint want that to happen, you should have kept it off the tinterweb'. Following that argument takes you to a country populated by dragons, so I am keeping away from it.

On the watermarking issue, again, it tells people where the image came from and makes people think twice. When I make more amends to the site I will place a statement saying, if you want watermark free images to just get in contact and ask...
DreamRaven
DreamRaven
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Too late now. Very Happy
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:02 pm

DreamRaven wrote:

Because Mr smith and Mr Wesson invented the colt 45, does that mean you have free reign to shoot someone in cold blood?

I'm pretty sure it was Mr. Colt. (Samuel).
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder III wiring oddity. Empty More on Hot Linking of Westone Images

Post by Barry Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:06 am

If anyone else runs into this problem of "clipping", "snipping" an image from the old Info site in order to display it in a post here, please note that we have an archived copy of David Blair's original site located on this server at: Archive
You may "hot link" to these images without creating bandwidth problems since everything is located in one place.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder III wiring oddity. Empty I feel like a man!

Post by chaypup Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 pm

.....and fixed! Have now soldered in a new capacitor, passive tone now works as it should - woot!
chaypup
chaypup

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Barry wrote:If anyone else runs into this problem of "clipping", "snipping" an image from the old Info site in order to display it in a post here, please note that we have an archived copy of David Blair's original site located on this server at: Archive
You may "hot link" to these images without creating bandwidth problems since everything is located in one place.
tongue
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down