The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder 1 guitar and bass pickups: Modern equivalents?

2 posters

Go down

BASS - Thunder 1 guitar and bass pickups: Modern equivalents? Empty Thunder 1 guitar and bass pickups: Modern equivalents?

Post by Obi Wan Russell Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:36 pm

I'd like to ask for the opinions of the members of this forum as to which pickups they'd recommend as substitutes for the pickups in Thunder 1s, both guitar and bass versions. Let me explain...

Over the years I have thrown together three 'Frankenstein' stratocasters from various spare parts aquired by fair means and, well fair means. My first guitar was/is a 1984 vintage Thunder 1 in light oak and I still play it Live. I also have a Thunder 1 Bass from around 1983 (originally black, spent fifteen years repainted gold and is now cream to match my 72 strat). Along with a couple of my friends, we aquired some of the necessary skills and knowledge needed to modify and construct guitars over the years, and for my/our next project I've decided the next guitars we build will be more than just off the shelf spare parts, we are planning to scratch build one or more guitars and basses 'inspired by the Thunder 1 body shape. As I have one of each already patterning the body shapes will be 'doable'. Necks are a bit more problematic, as unless anyone here can suggest somewhere that produces replacement necks that at least vaguely resemble the Thunder shape we'll probably be going with a strat/P Bass neck respectively as they are easy to come by at least. I am aware of the scale length issues with the Thunder 1 guitar being 24.75" and the strat being 25.5", but as these guitars will be built from scratch bodywise adjustments shouldn't be a problem
There are many pickups on the market though, and I was wondering which ones the members here would recommend? I'd like something reasonably similar in sound to the originals. They have given a lot of faithful service over the years and can still hold their own against more modern and more expensive instruments. So please, feel free to suggets away!
Obi Wan Russell
Obi Wan Russell
Registered Member

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

BASS - Thunder 1 guitar and bass pickups: Modern equivalents? Empty Re: Thunder 1 guitar and bass pickups: Modern equivalents?

Post by Iceman Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Obi Wan Russell wrote:……Necks are a bit more problematic, as unless anyone here can suggest somewhere that produces replacement necks that at least vaguely resemble the Thunder shape we'll probably be going with a strat/P Bass neck respectively as they are easy to come by at least. I am aware of the scale length issues with the Thunder 1 guitar being 24.75" and the strat being 25.5", but as these guitars will be built from scratch bodywise adjustments shouldn't be a problem.

Probably a red herring but I see Westone necks on E(vil) bay all the time. Thunder necks not so much but still Westone at least.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

BASS - Thunder 1 guitar and bass pickups: Modern equivalents? Empty Re: Thunder 1 guitar and bass pickups: Modern equivalents?

Post by Obi Wan Russell Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Thanks for that. The Fleabay route has been considered, but we are looking for something more reliable in terms of supply. We could spend years waiting for a suitable neck to come on the market, then lose it because it sells for an unreasonable amount. The Thunder 1 has a shallow C profile neck, as do most Strats and as that is what I am used to a strat neck is the fallback plan. I'd just prefer something six-a-side but not Les Paul shaped, dot markers instead of blocks. You get the picture. Primarily though, I was looking for opinions about pickups, which would most closely replicate the sound of a Thunder 1. I'm not in a rush though, my Frankensteins, usually take a few years to complete as I am cursed with a full time job and bills to pay. Crying or Very sad

So please, consider your responses well before posting. May your chins be well rubbed! affraid
Obi Wan Russell
Obi Wan Russell
Registered Member

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down