The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

finding the right trem arm for licenced floyd rose on Maison guitar

5 posters

Go down

guitar - finding the right trem arm for licenced floyd rose on Maison guitar Empty finding the right trem arm for licenced floyd rose on Maison guitar

Post by beavis Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:05 am

Hi!

Technical question, but nothing to do with Westone.

I have this Maison guitar (Korean) and want to find the right tremolo stick for it. How do I proceed? I am unfamiliar with floyd systems as all my previous guitars have fixed bridges (well my strat doesn't, but I never use the trem on it anyway, so just the same).

I know this question will seem stupid to many of you, but hey, you got to start somewhere. pig

Thanks a lot!
beavis
beavis

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

guitar - finding the right trem arm for licenced floyd rose on Maison guitar Empty Re: finding the right trem arm for licenced floyd rose on Maison guitar

Post by corsair Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:26 am

No such thing as a stupid question, beavis, though I can get perilously close to asking some!! Laughing OK, a good place to start is here..

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos.html

though being close to Germany you may want to check out Thomanns...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/floyd_rose_spareparts_for_instruments.html

I'll add here too, that your local music store is often a great place to start, and it keeps your money working locally!!

corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

guitar - finding the right trem arm for licenced floyd rose on Maison guitar Empty Re: finding the right trem arm for licenced floyd rose on Maison guitar

Post by beavis Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Wow Corsair, your omnipresence is most appreciated!

My question was less to know where to go to buy trem arms but how to know which arm will fit into my trem hole (hoho). Do I simply measure the diameter of the bar hole in the bridge or is it more complicated than that?

beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Oops... yeah, sorry 'bout that... 6mm!! Cool
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:51 am

6 mm? Nice, but how did you come up with that?
beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 am

beavis wrote:6 mm? Nice, but how did you come up with that?
From many of us who have already used this size replacement!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:05 pm

hee hee hee... thanks Barry!! That's the standard size for most, if not all, Japanese wang bars!

I've got to say that I've never bought one from anywhere than Westone Spares, though, simply because his are exact copies of the OEM bars. (He's closed atm because he's just had surgery...)
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:46 am

Ok thanks!

So I'll try a 6 mm screw-on bar pirat
beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:39 am

Whoops; hang on a minute.... the 6mm size is for Japanese or other imported guitars - the FR should be a standard size; probably Imperial measurements because the Americans haven't caught up with the SI yet!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 am

Well, I tried a standard FR bar, didn't fit at all.. But after some trial and error, I should find something that fits.
beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:28 am

beavis wrote:Well, I tried a standard FR bar, didn't fit at all.. But after some trial and error, I should find something that fits.

An FR bar didn't fit a licensed FR trem?! Shocked That's ...odd...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 am

Maison guitars are made in Korea, your bar will be an 'import' thread. metric.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 am

So a 6mm import screw-in should do the job?

Thanks a lot!
beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Is this what your looking for...... http://shop.ebay.co.uk/papadmusicstore/m.html?_nkw=arm&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313
fish
fish

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 am

Hi Fish,

I think what I need is a screw-in trem arm, not the floyd rose syst. So something like the second picture in your link. However, for having tried a strat bar, I noticed it's still a bit narrow. So I am going to try a 6mm import. I that doesn't work, I guess some plumber's tape on a 5mm should get the job done. Very Happy
beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:24 am

Just take it to a guitar shop, put it out of it's misery. Sad
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:16 am

... or wait for Thorn to open up again!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:31 am

Westbone wrote:Just take it to a guitar shop, put it out of it's misery. Sad

Did that! The guy was high on pot and tried the few (2) wang bars he had and they didn't fit.

And who is Thorn?

But it's no big deal, with time I'll end up finding something that fits.
beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:46 am

Ahahahaha - priceless; wasted guitar shop dude.... Laughing

Thorn is the bloke we all turn to when we really want to know the truth about a Westone matter, and he has a line in Spare parts which is re-opening in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.westone.info/
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

I doubt it'll be any use here though - I've never yet seen a licensed Floyd Rose copy that takes a screw in arm with a 6mm thread, all the ones I've seen either had a screw on collar or dropped in and fixed with an allen bolt from underneath. Some pictures of the trem in question might help.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:31 pm

I should have started with the pics. The guitar is not in my possession at the moment because I am having the wiring redone. Either it's my mistake and it's not a licensed FR, or it is but the license was only used for certain parts of it. I'll have to check to see if there is an allen bolt system. Never heard of that one. Musn't be too pratical if one wants to take the bar out to put the guitar back in the case for instance.

beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down