The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spectrum LX String Lock shim things..

5 posters

Go down

string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Empty Spectrum LX String Lock shim things..

Post by DistillaTruant Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had the string lock part to sell or even give (;p)?? I somehow lost my whole thing but part of it was missing anyway. Cant seem to find parts for the guitar anywhere so anyone that can help I'd really appreciate it! Thanks, Danielle
DistillaTruant
Registered Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Empty Re: Spectrum LX String Lock shim things..

Post by corsair Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Oh dear. This is a problem. Your best bet - probably - is to go to the Kahler site and order one of their behind the nut stringlocks as the Westone Bendmaster FT bits and pieces are about as common as chickens lips due to their being out of production for about 30 years!! string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_smile If you're a masochist, you can keep your eyes peeled on eBay as derelict instruments with the Bendmaster gear do occasionally turn up... (laughs hysterically...)

Incidentally, how DO you
somehow lost my whole thing
...?! string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_eek

Welcome here, though, Danielle, and bear in mind we do so like to see other peoples instruments... my own LX is in here quite recently and oddly enough, I bought it from a lass in Wales.... string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_lol
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Empty Re: Spectrum LX String Lock shim things..

Post by DistillaTruant Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:48 pm

corsair wrote:Oh dear. This is a problem. Your best bet - probably - is to go to the Kahler site and order one of their behind the nut stringlocks as the Westone Bendmaster FT bits and pieces are about as common as chickens lips due to their being out of production for about 30 years!! string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_smile If you're a masochist, you can keep your eyes peeled on eBay as derelict instruments with the Bendmaster gear do occasionally turn up... (laughs hysterically...)

Incidentally, how DO you
somehow lost my whole thing
...?! string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_eek

Welcome here, though, Danielle, and bear in mind we do so like to see other peoples instruments... my own LX is in here quite recently and oddly enough, I bought it from a lass in Wales.... string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_lol

Thanks for your reply, Yeah.. It had one part of it missing when I got it and think a screw was missing too so I took it off then forgot where I put it (this was some years ago now) And now I want to do the thing up and no idea where its gone Sad

I was given the guitar about 4-5 years ago from a friend and its in a bit of a mess really so Ill be sure to post some pics of it 'before and after' shots if/when I have done it up! Im missing the original pick ups the nut string lock and volume/tone pots etc.. So I have my work cut out for me! I saw your LX by the way when browsing.. Its so nice Sad
DistillaTruant
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:53 am

Welcome Danielle. Sorry you're missing so many original parts, that's what happens to a lot our babies over time, especially if they change hands a lot.
But, I'm glad to hear you're up for restoring her! cheers

Many of us here have been down that road (some more than once Rolling Eyes) and we'll be happy to help out if you need it, just shout.
Meantime, there's already a lot of restoration and repair information in many posts so do have a search and a read.

Meantime, let's have a look at her, eh? string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Wewantpix

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8687
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DistillaTruant Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Hello Barry and thanks for the welcome, I don't know what it is about this guitar.. Even though its a complete mess and someone decided to paint a dragon on it..then someone else made a not very good attempt of taking it off! There is just something about 'her' that I love and just want to take the time (and money string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_eek ) To do it up!

I will definitely have a look around the forum for more info and help on the restoration. Ok I got some pics and be warned.. The guitar looks like a car crash!
string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Dscf3810
string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Dscf3811
string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Dscf3812
string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Dscf3813
DistillaTruant
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:22 pm

That poor, poor guitar... string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_sad
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 pm

DistillaTruant wrote:I don't know what it is about this guitar...Even though its a complete mess and someone decided to paint a dragon on it...There is just something about 'her' that I love
Congratulations. You've been bitten by the Spectrum bug! Twisted Evil
Many of us including me, are huge fans of these guitars. They were apparently supposed to be the bottom of the line, but they are just fantastic players, beautifully designed, and built to last. Even through all that mess you can tell that there's a quality instrument there and that's what you're responding to.

There's actually a lot of good news here. The neck and fretboard look to be in fine shape, the pick up cavities are intact, the control holes are still in place, and the bridge looks to be complete (a real plus!). Very good news that nobody attemped to fill in the the "holes"!
Removing the um, "artwork" from the top shouldn't be difficult, and the dings and scratches can be repaired or reduced with some patience and care. We have seen worse, believe me. A word of caution though, these finishes are catalyzed polyester which is tough as nails. I would strongly suggest that you not try to strip it! It will bring you to tears. Rather, fill the dings and polish out the scratches and bring her back to her original shiny black self.

It's a shame you don't have the original pickups, the Humbuckers in particular were quite unique (Unbalanced Coils). But you will find Matsumoku pickups on eBay from time to time so keep looking. Matsumoku MMK45's would be a good replacement if you cannot find the original type. As for rewiring her, have a look here for a schematic to help you: http://www.westone.info/wiring/dynasty/index.html

As a start I suggest you completely strip her and dismantle all hardware, including the bridge and those tuners, all of which will likely need a good scrubbing. And pull out the pick up and knob too. You're best to start over.

You should also remove the neck to make the re finishing easier. Don't be nervous, take your time, take lots of pictures in case you forget where everything goes, and stick all the bits and pieces into a zip lock bag. Use a toothbrush and warm soapy water to clean off all the cr@p then go from there. A little squirt of WD40 or light oil where needed for the moving parts, and some #0000 steel wool and good quality fretboard oil for the neck.
Too much to cram into one post, but that will get you started. And do check out the refinishing projects documented here, especially those from Racing, Trevor, Corsair, and Frenchy (and even mine).

Best of luck Danielle! You will end up with a great instrument when you're done!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8687
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Baluski Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:07 pm

It's to bad the dragon is all messed up, that would of made it quite unique among the many in pure black. <.<
Baluski
Baluski
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:26 pm

It doesn't look like it was a very well drawn dragon anyway.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Hmmm.. needs a lot of TLC though; as Barry has mentioned it needs quite a few bits and bobs like pickups, pots, switch, knobs, stringlocks, trem arm which are going to be awkward to find although Kahler do a stringlock, Thorn is doing knobs, Stewmac do Switchmaster pots and switches.. and trem arms so chin up!! string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_lol
The good point is that the bridge seems complete with all of the string claws present and correct; look after these they are literally worth their weight in gold!! Even the wang bar collar is there....

My call on the front paint work - from this remove - would be to strip it back even though it's a hellish, biggish job - the current finish looks to be shot, really and Barry's comments about disassembly are ones I heartily agree with; be orderly and careful and you cannot go wrong...
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Baluski Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:54 am

Warrn wrote:It doesn't look like it was a very well drawn dragon anyway.

Yeah, I'm not into the whole serpent-esque dragon, it would be better if it was something to this degree.

string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Dragon-tail
Baluski
Baluski
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:13 pm

It would be best as a solid color, or perhaps with racing stripes. No dragons. string - Spectrum LX String Lock shim things.. Icon_lol
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by Baluski Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Racing stripes! Evil or Very Mad
Baluski
Baluski
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down