The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Please- 2nd fret problem

2 posters

Go down

Help Please- 2nd fret problem Empty Help Please- 2nd fret problem

Post by bren1508 Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:21 pm

my recent acquisition of a spectrum ST which i love by the way,has chucked a problem my way! In both look and feel the 2nd fret does not look worn or any different to any of the other frets yet i am getting BUZZ /RINGING ? ? Its only on the 2nd and no other and its most but not all the strings !? Why is this people? Is my fret done for? Do i need another and if so what will this cost ? Please advise Neutral
bren1508
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Back to top Go down

Help Please- 2nd fret problem Empty Re: Help Please- 2nd fret problem

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi Bren, Smile

It sounds like that fret might be slightly higher than the rest of them and you have two choices: (A) You could file that one down or: (B) Raise the action slightly to compensate for it, this would be the easiest option.

I hope this helps and that it will solve the problem for you.
Very Happy

I'm glad that overall though, you are happy with your guitar and please put some photos up soon!
Smile

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 pm

G'day, Bren - yeah, mate - you just need to raise the saddle an incy-wincy bit; try that first. You'll need an extremely fine Allen (hex) key (wrench?!) and then adjust the two little grubb screws in the saddle! Easy peasy!
If that doesn't cure it, and I'm 99.9% sure it will!, then a fret level and crown may be in order and this is something I leave to a luthier 'cause it's reall easy to screw it up!! it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, at least from my go-to guy, and can mean the difference between night and day in terms of playability...
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Help Please- 2nd fret problem Empty 2nd fret problem solved

Post by bren1508 Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks to polyanna and corsair . Took my spectrum to a luthier who suggested a fret dress and set up which i considered but after raising the action slightly the problem has lessened considerably. And it STILL has one of the smoothest easiest actions ever. thanks again. I love this guitar !
bren1508
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:12 pm

No worries, bud - glad it's worked out! You may want to consider the fret dressing, too as it IS a 20+ year old guitar and could very likely do with one, eh!! Very Happy
As for the lovely neck, well, you're preaching to the choir, my friend - the Spectrum/Phoenix line would be the easiest electric guitars I've ever played - I have 4 of the breed now and plan on gigging them to death!! Cool
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Hello again Bren, Smile

Glad to be of help and I'm happy to hear that you have sorted the problem without pulling out loads of dosh! Well done mate!
cheers

Did you happen to take your guitar to the guy in Richmond? He's a first rate Luthier and if you do need to get the frets re-dressed, I can personally recommend him as his work is first class! (He's also owned a few Westone's in his time so he's extra cool!
Cool )

My husband took an electro-acoustic to him a while ago which had a broken bridge, (something I wouldn't touch), and he did a fantastic job on it!
Smile

Put some pictures up if you ever get around to stop playing your guitar long enough to photograph it!
Laughing

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down