The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Say hello...

+323
ZeroTheHero
kster68
Goldengirl
Westtwo
bjjool
Jarek
t4lturner
WestonesAndWashburns
aholt68
MaxFubar
reperon
Rrr1
jorge bass
BQmusic
deanodley
Lubalin
eggore
thunduak-1
ito18
Heliwr
Bucky Toothface
Red Lum
RedCrowBleeding
Rob Gnarly
PhilB
dsmcl77
prestigenut
fcojavi
Honky
Naulen
jcl
DeargDoom
LanceT
williewilkens
Stevieu
Mr_Goat
capnfunky77
FritzKatt
Schmokko
axazeal
Shaky fingers
Ro_S
obsoleteman
togril
gray haze bass
3mmo
Adelscott
Gilles
hyster
dutchie350
jonslock
RustyG
dshield92
rasputin666
BrunoOnBass
JAJones
BriGuy1968
Steveb
BrianP
Dynasty
David_A
The PiB
Guldur
RichTheLimey
BC Witch
Hardcore.Rockr
zen-box
wadeshad
Dan63uk
LightninRick
195db
storme37
DerekWildstar
Spiritinthesky99
HarperBlue
Harmann
shaneg
rideough
enaich
Cloggy
Stickymagician
Hami
nusior
supercharger
beefy thunder1a
AshNathens
jimmydime
andymunro73
JeffHopkins
Lardzeppelin
SIMON BURRETT
Papa Slayer
Raymondo
Grungebob
pulu
SteveD
westcoaster
Brett Randy
Greg P
alcoholocaust
80sChris
Old Man White
motociclor
Newbie1
The Don
sherlockdan
Rifkinn
urban_paranoia
DingDongDen
Rocket1
bigwelly2000
Where is my mind?
musicmutt
Catalyst
pererock
Roger hallard
Spudicus
esseff
Jamman
Autumn319
IronSkillet
pittpunkfo
BlindRubbernecker
carpcutter
punkyjam67
sqWarkbox
DimensionIV-addict
kristotoff
jeff fae scotland
Bone_idle
Kevh
King of the Stuntmen
shanesfords
patto82
fr3t2
KC
Sgt. Vimes
45Bodie
WestoneJon
RehanMahmood
blackstrat
GtrGeorge!
jim
arcelsv
micthetic
roj62
fergybass
deztone
Leon Transaxle
koky
Society
Kremen53
sbendz
Stefan 4
zl1wt
Fragsie
Cov
thegig10
neverwas
Thunder-Chunder
METESKY
Bee#884
xrleroyx
pilotfish
Chappers
DamienAllen
McToot_the_Bat
The Chad
ianrunci
axecollector
Ainsley Stones
mortarman120gang11c
bmoregeorge
Franco
sofa nova
mcbrat
501Spanky
bdmorgan72
SeanFMT
G.A.S. man
tabdog
JoeWalsh
Starrman
geopisano
ScreamingCockatoo
challpa1
xaranzaina
muttley
gittarasaurus
Itayke
DreamRaven
chaypup
the mudshark of desire
Rico_2212
Audile
madmuso
Thallium
Iceman
arcoddath
Philby
fish
The Guitar
Raider
IanO
beeflin
stpetecubby
rebuild
Westbone
OscarM
ChrisRoberts
Pelle64
Pro_Rico
mr mikey
crackle
Lowliver
jorg
xbarnesx
Racing
stuartb
AstroStrat89
Elan I
JoMo
Xavier
Shoegazer
steven1024
Baluski
thunder1
river
Harper1510
dischro
fluffware
richard_senior
THEBARRON
bobmarlex
marktigere1
bactuz
Sonny Griffith
nicholaspaul
untune
Dragondreams
Buddy Teague
bowenjaybee
pfbacon
prosonic
beefystrat
RCSBlues
Barry
GD K9
AndyGoblin
joediq
Thing T. Thing
Qwertyco
scubba.steve
rainbow11
Henning
KNM
diddydave
Ttone
oldad70
BilletGarage
pootyman68
north-west-one
DuoFuzz
kebabage
anaerobe
grogg
Trevor
hendrik
toxbass
fox
Pete James
halo71
Obi Wan Russell
Certif1ed
MagicMikeyB
Crambone
Chris the Caver
pit
VikingFirebeard
norfolkngood
silence86
cnevins
Vikki
GTFPDQA
flynny
Steve777
jinxie_nz
Hyperion
Bunyip
prestigious
Messell
pmac
totnesdave
ppc6mm
The_Avenger
elzorillo
caucajun
danjob
Warrn
mattcadders
Old Gregg
king koeller
clarky
catonine
FarToMany
logicaljohn
hummel
MarkW
TheShaggyDA
Fragile
challpa
colt933
Joseph St. Ides
boutjp97
Confused
WilsonT
kb2nto
Bluesman
wayne weedon
Sfalj
corsair
Administrator
327 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Empty Re: Say hello...

Post by corsair Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:12 am

The short answer is No, they don't, not without major work but Colt knows a lot more about this than I so search around in his posts becasue he's done it and has put his findings on here someplace!

I had a model maker friend make up some fine tuner bolts for me -

http://forum.westoneguitars.net/technical-f3/fine-tuning-screws-for-bendmaster-deluxe-tremolo-t312.htm?highlight=bendmaster+deluxe+fine+tuners

- I used some 4mm (from memory!) allen headed bolts and sent him an OEM tuner and he did the rest! You can just use the allen bolts, of course but they don't quite look as good, eh... x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_lol

corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Empty Paduak owner

Post by fluffware Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:27 am

Hi, my name is John - I live in Brancepeth Castle in County Durham UK.

Some years ago, when I was living down South, I bid on a Paduak II on ebay which some of you guys thankfully emailed me and warned me it was a wrongun (paduak 1 with added pickup, etc). As my way high bid had won it (I badly wanted one) I went to see it anyway - guy new it was a wrongun - no electronics, refret, etc. Anyway he said to make him an offer - I said it wasnt worth more than about £30 in spares to me. He said OK - so deal was done very quickly.
PS I note that ebay doesnt allow bidders to contact each other now - shame - I also used to look at other bidders to see if the seller was kosher (amazing how many bid themselves up - human nature I guess!).

The refret job had pretty sharp edges, so I put the guitar away for a while and only got it out about a year ago - it was actually very well finished and set up, and sounded great through my Sessionette 75. Suffice to say I play it all the time now - rock solid neck and a joy to play - I even like the sharp edged frets - I get a good twangy sound out of it - the added pickup was a Kent Armtrong HPAO+1, quite different to the original bridge p/u, but blends in well for a good twangy sound.

When the guitar was refretted I'm guessing it was also refinished as there is no laquer - its either oiled or a matt finish laquer - quite like it though.

I wouldnt mind swapping out the barrelled bridge for a saddle bridge if anyone has a source of brass parts - I find the barrel rattle/buzzes a bit - and I fancy eventually putting in a tone selector circuit as tone control does get much use - nice to have a guitar that dont have to use a router on for the battery. I may also move the tap switch as I keep knocking it.

I'm still amazed that this little guitar which was listed in the adverts as only £123 new, it holds the best setup of all my guitars. I prefer fixed bridge guitars with solid necks - and this has the least movement ot of them all.

I have been keeping my eyes out for another (sorry Pollyanna I didnt see you sold yours) - but havent seen one for ages.

Or I may go for a thunder 1a (just missed one on ebay in Newcastle). Can anyone tell me if the thunder is heavier than the paduak, and is it as solid a neck?

John
fluffware

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffware Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 am

PS - has anyone local (Durham, UK) got a Thunder 1A I can try?
fluffware

Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi fluffware and welcome.
I wouldnt mind swapping out the barrelled bridge for a saddle bridge if anyone has a source of brass parts - I find the barrel rattle/buzzes a bit -
Oh, don't get me started on these things!! You're right to want to be rid of them. Do a search on these forums for "barrel saddle bridge" and you'll see a lot of discussion and complaints (mostly mine), plus a confirmation from Tom Presley that these were a major design error and should never have seen the production line.

Saddle replacement is not an option since the string hole location is incorrect relative to the saddle centre. You're better off to replace the entire bridge. I have successfully replaced one of my three with a standard surface mount bridge; the other two are waiting patiently for transplants. You'll need 10.5 mm string spacing, not the standard North American Strat spacing. The only "down" side is that you likely won't find solid brass anywhere, but "gold", chrome, or black steel. They work just fine.

Good luck and enjoy playing her!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Empty Concord Bass Stolen! :(

Post by dischro Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi All;
Thanks for such a neat site! Sorry to enter the fray on a down note: I've been playing a good friend's Concord bass for the past several years; it was stolen last weekend at a birthday/record shop closing party in Brooklyn, NY. Usually I'm paranoid about the security of instruments, but I let my guard down the other night, assuming to be in the exclusive company of family and friends. The instrument was in excellent condition, black with white pick guard, original hard case, accessorized with my first guitar strap (bought at age 15.) I've been looking online, searching for a near replacement, but the options are limited.
If anyone knows of a bass that fits this description, I would very much appreciate any info. I will either come up with reward money, or consider buying a substitute.
I've very much appreciated my Westone bass experience, only more so having discovered this community!
Sincerely,
Demian
dischro

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper1510 Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi Everyone

Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself

Name - Andy

Age - 34

Location - York, Yorkshire, England

First guitar - Marlin Sidewinder Bass

First Westone - Spectrum ST (just waiting for it to arrive)

Musical style/favourite bands - Immpossible question!! but i play in a Lynyrd Skynyrd Tribute and also a 70's/80's rock covers band so you get the drift

Other instruments - Fender Telecaster Deluxe, Fender Jazz Bass, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Alden Bluesline Flowertop, Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Head, Peavey Classic 4x12 Cab

Various that I have owned over the years - Tokai Love Rock, Fender 1986 Strat, BC Rich Mockingbird, Epiphone SG, Squire Telecaster, Vintage VRS, Aria ProII SL Bass, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Orange Tiny Terror, Orange Rocker 30, Marshall VS100, Trace Elliot.... the list goes on.

Looking forward to my first Westone, I have a feeling it won't be my last!
Harper1510
Registered Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am

Just a quick welcome to "the new guys" from me; you're all very welcome in here and bear in mind that we love pictures of guitars so if you've got any of your Westones, bang 'em on, fellas!! x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_lol

Andy; you're right - this won't be your last Westone!1 I'm a bit of a Spectrum nut and was lucky enough to pick mine up when they were dirt cheap, and I only wish I had bought more!! I've got an ST and I reckon it's a beauty; I gigged it a couple of times and found it to be a lovely versatile players guitar with the best neck you'll find on a guitar. And being a Tele man, you'll be looking for a Clipper, then? x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_biggrin

Demian, sorry to hear of your troubles, bro, and sorry that I can't help with your search but the Concords do come up occasionally on the auction sites, so keep on plugging away man!!

And it's nice to see that someone else besides Polly likes Padauks, John!!! You certainly don't see many for sale; maybe they weren't made in the same numbers as the Thunders and Spectrums?? Do we get to see this guitar at all?? x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_biggrin
corsair

Back to top Go down

x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Empty Hello

Post by river Fri May 07, 2010 10:36 am

Hi,

Just joined as I was randomly searching the net for various stuff and decided to see if there was anything on Westone.... and found this site.

I got a lefty, full red Westone Thunder I. Serial number is 5043027. Not sure when it was made. I bought it new many years ago because I got tired of looking for something left-handed in the music store (and still do). I saw the Thunder I, liked the look, tried it out and loved the sound and action, so I bought it. I still love it!

She's a good old guitar that's been on quite a few gigs and I never needed a back-up. However, something's wrong with it at the moment and I think I'll have to pull the toggle switch out and clean it up, 'cos in the up position there's no sound. The middle and lower positions are fine.

Tomorrow I'm looking for another guitar.... and no, I won't be getting rid of my Thunder I.

seeyuzz
river
river

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down

x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Empty Greeting From Sunny Sydney

Post by thunder1 Wed May 12, 2010 3:13 am

Howdy all!

I joined the forum a while ago and have been meaning to say hello but hadn't gotten around to it until now.
I first found this forum while researching my lefty Vantage VP820.

During the process I caught the Matsumoku bug and soon found myself the proud owner of a lefty 1984 Thunder 1.
A previous owner had replaced the original knobs with plastic ones, so I wanted to say thanks to those here who contributed all the useful info on replacement brass knobs. (Why is it some folks just have to remove the brass controls from these?)
I'll post some pics when the new knobs arrive and it's back to being "plastic free".

I'm always interested in hearing from players in Sydney, so feel free to PM me if you're located here.

Regards,

Tony C.
thunder1
thunder1
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed May 12, 2010 8:46 am

Hiya Tony, and welcome here!! Nice to see a leftie... oh that's right, we can't see 'cause you haven't posted any pix!! x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_lol

(yes, yes, I can see your avatar...) x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_rolleyes x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_smile

You're right about the knobs but I suppose "in the day" they probably werent seen as being "COOL" so were chopped out; come on now... we;ve all done it!! (Ok I'll go first... '58 telecaster horribly mutilated in about '79 with all the stock bits being thrown over the shoulder ...)

Nice to see a supply of the brass knobs, both from within here and from that Dutch supplier of old Philips gear, but what I'd love to see is a supply of the black plastic tapered Switchmaster knobs!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Baluski Mon May 24, 2010 11:41 am

How goes it everyone?

I have been reading the forums for a bit and finally decided to join. This place is vast chasm of informational goodies that can please the reader for hours!

My first guitar was a Carrera strat style guitar which I later nicknamed the 'Crapocaster'. I ended up tearing that thing apart and throwing the electronics into a lightning bolt body I had laying around that I picked up for $7 and turned it into my senior project for high school. It's now just sitting in a closet, but I look at it every now and then.

Anyways, my buddy turned me onto Westones awhile back and I have just recently acquired some, those being a Dimension IV and a Thunder II-A. If you want to count it, I also grabbed an Electra X-2RD Futura. As for guitars that are not of Matsumoku make, I have a Jackson Kelly, an Ibanez S470DXQM, an Ibanez SR500X bass, a Martin 00CXAE (one of the thin body black ones), and a PRS Limited Edition Budweiser guitar (a real beauty believe it or not). I'll try and get some pictures posted of all my children at some later date, just need to find the time to take them.

~ Mike
Baluski
Baluski
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Mon May 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Welcome, Baluski! Electras absolutely count, in fact they may as well be the same brand, so I don't really get why Westone and Electra have separate fan forums! x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_lol Do please show us your axes!
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by steven1024 Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Hey all

Name: Stevi Very Happy

First Guitar: Westone Spectrum ST \o/

First Westone: ^ That one!

Fav Westone: ^ That one Very Happy not because of the model because its been defined x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_rolleyes

Nyah, i would like a fender though, unluckily i only joined this forum to check out the buzz and eventually (once a fender crosses my path) i shall still log on, but prolly be castrated for blastphemy :L but some lucky bugger will get my westone.....prolly
steven1024
steven1024
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:47 am

Ah, mate - to be young again.... Welcome here, if even only briefly but when you do get your Fender, keep the ST as 1.) a backup, and 2.) for a humbucker sound which you won't get from your average strat!! x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_lol
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by steven1024 Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:51 am

Well im aiming for a jaguar or a mustang Razz

but yeah, i think i might keep my ST as a reminder that i once couldnt afford jack xD

(i got the ST from my mate for £10 Very Happy)
steven1024
steven1024
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoegazer Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Greetings to all, this is Chris

I'm a dedicated bassist and I've been lurking for a few weeks now gleaning info. on Westone basses. Some years ago a friend made me envious of his Thunder I and after seeing a reasonably priced x775, I decided to jump in the pool with all you great people.

I've swapped so much gear over the years, starting out on an ibanez gsr200 (my parents did right) and after all my experiments I find 1980's MIJ instruments to my liking the most. My Pantera fits the mold perfectly and rests brilliantly alongside my main 4 string; a Yamaha bb1200s, the same model Peter Hook has used on countless New Order recordings.

Looking forward to enjoyable chats, will post pics soon

- C
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Registration date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:47 am

Hey up, Chris - good to see you here!! Good score on that Pantera and we look forward to having a good look at it!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Empty New Westone owner

Post by Guest Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:22 am

Hello all just got my first Westone and found this forum. Found a nice Pantera 300 in pretty good shape on ebay and decided to give it a try. I look forward to learning some intersting stuff from the forum

My current guitar list is as follows
1984 Fender Stratocaster (my baby)
2006 Fender Telecaster
2009 PRS CE 24
1991 PRS Swamp Ash Special
2006 Spector Bass
2009 Godin A12
1986 Westone Pantera X300 - The newbie, and so far a pretty cool little addition.

Next on the wish list is the X390 and a Signature Odyssey or Aurora; neither which are easy to come by.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Xavier Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:28 am

Hey this is Xavier from Spain........... I have found this forum while hopelessly trying to locate (guess what)....another X390CB.

I used to have a Prestige 250 back in the day and I traded it for an Ibanez RG550.........we are talking 1990 x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_rolleyes

I love Matsumoku guitars in general...........used to have also an almost unknown Kawai Aquarius AQ500, another jewel from those times, although someone broke into our rehearsal space and stole it. I was devastated...............
Xavier
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JoMo Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello there – here goes

Name: Jon

Location: South Wales Valleys – Where men are men and sheep are frightened.

Age When Started Playing Guitar: 6

First Guitar: Kay Les Paul Copy (The one with the built in effects that never worked)

First Westone: Spectrum ST (1985) – sold in 1989

Other Westones: Corsair (Late 90s model – bought 2001, sold 2003), Thunder II (Version 1) – Acquired June 2010

Musical Tastes: Just about anything apart from (c)rap. Not too keen on C&W either.

Favourite Book:Jazz Chords for Stupid People

Other Guitars: Electrics: 1987 Charvel Model 6, 1989 Fender Stratocaster Plus; 1989 Fender Telecaster Plus Deluxe, 1989 PRS CE Bolt On, 1990 Hamer Californian Elite, 1990 PRS CE Bolt On, 1990 Yamaha RGZ611M, 1999 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe, 2000 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS, 2002 Burns Brian May. Acoustics: 1989 Yamaha APX-12, 1996 Ovation Elite

Yes I know most of them are 20+ years old but what can I say – I’ve grown very attached to them over the years and they are the business - especially the PRSs. They all have maple fingerboards (which I prefer) with the exception of the Charvel, Hamer and Burns, which I didn’t buy (they were an 18th birthday, 21st birthday and Christmas present respectively). I’ve also had various others over the years including some weird and wonderful ones (Monroe Mamba, Alvarez Scoop, Royal Electra) but I found that I just kept going back to the ‘old faithfuls’. I did have the misfortune of having 3 guitars stolen after a gig one night (USA Strat, Ibanez JEM777SK and a Yamaha APX-6) which is why I bought the 1999/2000 Strats and the Ovation - I figured I could live without the JEM!

Also there’s ‘Thing’ which I’ve had since February 2010 and is an experiment/prototype for my ideal ‘stage’ guitar – It’s a Warmoth body &
neck (Telecaster body shape, 22 fret neck with Jackson style reverse headstock) & Wilkinson trem. If I decide that I like it then I’ll get a proper version built – probably as a 24 fret thru-neck beastie with maple fingerboard, arched quilted maple top finished in a PRS Blue Matteo colour, humbucker at the bridge, stacked humbucker at the neck, Wilkinson trem & locking tuners in gold. It should look the part if nothing else!

Amps & Effects:2 x Shure SLX1 Bodypacks, 2 x Shure SLX4 Wireless Receivers, Rackmount A/B Switchbox, Marshall JMP-1 Midi Pre-Amp, Radius FX Mixer, ART SGX2000, Alesis Quadraverb, Digitech DSP256, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Marshall MGP9005 Stereo Valve Power Amp, 2 x Marshall 4x12 Cabinets, ART X15 Midi Foot Controller

Yes – again – most of it is old(ish) – and probably a bit over the top but it was put together in 1994 when I was gigging with three different bands at the same time – I needed to be able to play anything from Abba to ZZ Top so the idea of switching from a clean U2 chorus + delay sound to a full on thrash metal noise with one stomp of a button on the foot controller seemed very attractive – not to mention avoiding the tap-dancing routine with a load of different pedals. The wireless stuff used to be Nady until 2008 when one of the receivers gave up the ghost and it just seemed sensible to change both receivers rather than just one. It’s had a hard working life but has been looked after and is still going strong and, as you would imagine, I’ve become very familiar and comfortable with this set-up over the years but I have been thinking about changing it for something more up to date (not to mention smaller) – money is not a problem so suggestions for a replacement rig would be very welcome.

Most Valuable Tip For Playing Live: Take a colouring book & crayons for the drummer

Second Most Valuable Tip For Playing Live: Don’t sleep with the drummer’s girlfriend!
JoMo
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:31 pm

G'day, Jon - good to have you here!! Nice story and I'm gratified to see another Spectrum ST owner - yes, I know... ex-owner!! - on the boards... (Barry and I are both very keen Spectrum proselytizers ) x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_twisted x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_rolleyes

As for all the old gear, well, I used a Watkins Copicat - that I bought new-ish an epoch or two ago!! - up until a couple of years ago, and still have it; my main stage amp was made in late 70's and my main stage guitar up till I stopped playing out is a 1980 vintage... what I'm getting at is that you are among friends here!! x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_lol

And I'm sorry, but you cannot use the "men and nervous sheep" thing in here; I'm a kiwi and that's my 'thing'.... ask our Aussies!! x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_wink
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Hello Jon and welcome to the Wonderful World O' Westies! Or in your case more like ex-Westies. Laughing
Yep, I love my Spectrums. I also love my Ovations, and I see you have an Elite. Mine is a 1990 Elite 1868, great player and nice lookin' too.

Now, about those sheep...you and Corsair are making me n-n-nervous.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:38 pm

Nice one Jon, some very nice gear mentioned. Whilst Barry and John will wax lyrical about "Septum's", of all my Westone's my Thunder 2, and 2a stand out as great all rounders. The neck join is a joy to behold. Most of the time I play off the neck Pup with some gain to get a thick blues tone.

Both my Thunders are in OE pearl white which over the years has mellowed to a muted pearl yellow. Both are totally original and still have their brass knobs.

Cheers Steve
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by JoMo Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for your kind words - as I type this it's 12:45am - just got back from a gig - very tired so please excuse any mistakes/errors

From memory I remember my Spectrum having the mother, father, sister and brother of neck joints - it's been 22 years since I've played one but for some reason that sticks in the mind as being very uncomfortable (sorry) - to be honest it's probably no worse than the neck joint on a strat but it sticks in the mind for some reason.

I haven't played my Thunder II yet as it's in need of a little TLC and - it was given to me by a friend of a friend who had kept it in a case under a bed for the last 10 years or so - with the exception of a couple of the bridge screws it's all there and original - just needs reassembling. If I'm brutally honest it's probably got two strikes against it for not having a maple fingerboard or a trem (see my list of guitars) but I'm hoping to be surprised when I do play it.

The Thunder II appears to be either a thru-neck jobbie or a very bizarre attempt at a glued in neck - the laminate of the neck seems to match the laminate running through the body but if it is a thru-neck for some reason they've made it look like a set neck - I'm more than happy to accept my ignorance on this and be put right.

The type of music that my current band (Undercover Elephant - don't laugh) plays is mostly 80's rock (Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Whitesnake, etc etc etc) so I don't think the Westie would really be suitable on stage - more the image than anything else although when it's up and running I'm sure the sound will be fantastic - might be worth doing an A/B test against one of my PRSs so see.

...and about those sheep - you know what they call a sheep tied to a gate in Wales? - A leisure centre! - And Corsair - I'm pretty sure that if someone would flatten out Wales it would be bigger than New Zealand. Promise me you won't send the All Blacks?

Take care guys

J
JoMo
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:43 pm

"SEPTUM"?! Shocked I'm not that deviated.
Um, I also have a Thunder and a Concord in the Westone line... Neutral

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Elan I Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Y'hello,
I am new here, although I am fairly sure I registered and posted here before, but for some reason I can't find my log in details or my posts from 2, 3 years ago..

Anyway, I am a big Westone fan, and currently own 4 of them..
I also like Heartfields, Japanese Fenders and I have built a lot of Warmoths.
As you can see there is a bit of a Japan Theme.. not sure why, I guess I got turned off by the high prices of American Guitars..

I have already spent a lot of time drooling over some of the guitars posted here.. The Prestige 250, Pantera 350 and 390 are some of the guitars on my Wish list!

I will go ahead and post my latest purchases in the member guitars section! Smile
Elan I
Registered Member

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by AstroStrat89 Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Everybody!

(Hi, Dr. Nick!)

Anyway, just stumbled upon this forum searching for some info about my X-120. It's the 1st guitar I bought back in 1986 (may have been 87). I've kept it all these years and getting ready to try and get it back up to being playable. It's not in too bad of shape, Need to cut a nut some re-soldering, a few bits and pieces here and there. I considered dropping a Floyd Rose in it, but thinking I want to keep it stock.

Was nice to see an active community around Westone, pretty decent guitars especially when the market was flooded with real crap at the time.
AstroStrat89
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Welcome AstroStrat89 - bit of a mouthful, that!! - you are with kindred souls here, mate!! Now; an X120... this one

http://www.westone.info/x120.html

...right?? Let's all have a look at it, man... x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_lol
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by AstroStrat89 Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:58 pm

corsair wrote:Welcome AstroStrat89 - bit of a mouthful, that!! - you are with kindred souls here, mate!! Now; an X120... this one

http://www.westone.info/x120.html

...right?? Let's all have a look at it, man... x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_lol

Yep, except mine is not butchered, lol

I posted pics in the "Members Westones"
AstroStrat89
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:34 pm

Welcome Astrostrat89 - and congratulations on being our 500th member! x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_biggrin x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_biggrin x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Icon_biggrin
Administrator

Number of posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:59 pm

yippee does he get a prize? a free Westone guitar maybe?
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by AstroStrat89 Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:55 pm

bowenjaybee wrote:yippee does he get a prize? a free Westone guitar maybe?

A pick? pack of strings? anything? Laughing
AstroStrat89
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Empty Quick hello to all those in Westone Land

Post by stuartb Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:23 am

Hi all,
New user to the forums - been playing for, what? about almost 30 years now (locked up in my room!) bought a Westone Prestige 150 back in about 1983 because it looked so good and had a beautiful tone.
After an injury to my left had little finger (pinky to our transatlatic cousins) I left off playing for the last three years or so and have recently revisited the strings to make it all work again. The going is painful at times but I'm determined to make it all work again.
Wish me luck ('cos at the moment it sounds awful!)
Stu [img]x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 1004691

Last edited by stuartb on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : picture)
stuartb
stuartb
Registered Member

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:49 pm

No-one likes you, Stuart, because we all want your guitar... Laughing Welcome here, my friend, and if we can help, then we will, but only if you post more pictures of your guitar... Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Guess it´s about time?
Never occured to me,but i´ve never properly said hello.
Neither here or on the Mat forum.

Hi there the lot of you,my name i Jesper and i live over in Sweden in scandinavia since way way way back.
(Scandinavian countries are Sweden,Denmark,Norway,Finland and Iceland FWIW)
I live in a southern port town by the name of gothenburg.(second largest city in the country with a pop of approx a million)

Raised in the vincinity of Chic Ill tho and moved over here at the age of 14 via germany.
As such,hence why my written english isn´t exactly on par with my spoken...
...and..to you englishmen..sorry,but that brings that my accent in english is VERY american.Still Shocked Laughing

Living together with ma old lady Cecilia,who´s an absolute gem,since 6yrs and counting.
No kids of yet tho,while we do keep a couple of dogs-that absolutely hate me playing the guitar.
They howl along to the best of their ability... Laughing

Been playing like most of you since my teens,and was about to go pro at one time in my very early 20s.
(We recorded a couple of vinyls at the time)
Faith wanted it otherwise though,racing became my life instead and as such i,again in liason with many many others,put the guitars on the shelf for the better part of 20yrs.
I´m not being full of it one yota if i state that during those 20+ yrs i´ve pulled less than a 1000 chords total.

Now,at age 45,i´m at it all over, albeit this time as a part timer and as a hobby ONLY.
Yes.In contrast to most with my background i do play in a band and we do gig. Lots.
From what it seems not without merit as we´ve been asked to play all over the place really.

If you ask me if i´m a lead or rythm kind of guy i´d reply neither. I´ll run either way.
Me and the other guitarist in the band share and share alike when it comes to that,and as we´re both close to 50 we´ve kind of lost that competitive bit that many younger fellas can carry around.

To tell the truth i´m just as happy as can be to have rediscovered the guitar a mere couple of yrs ago-when i got an old gibby in my lap all over.
At first i was full of myself,basicaly having been completely out of touch-to the letter-with guitars for about 25yrs,but the truth of the matter was that at the time...i was like a human harddisc crash as far as playing the guitar goes. I remembered....squat. Laughing
Recollection was like....zero.
Of course that made me pissed off...so...
Having the personality of an old goat...one thing kind of led to another and i´d state that i´ve recap-ed most of it by now,as i´m sure some of you that have heard me play "for real" can attest to.
Laughing

Uncle Mat;s then.
Back in the day i bought a couple of highends PEs new(this was like -79 or -80)
As i got into guitars again i remembered them being good,and as such put adverts up to buy localy.
One thing led to another and....yeah well...it´s been like kind of an avalanche(sp?) since.
So..today i all in all own 22 of them and the collection is growing still.

Westones is kind of fresh turf to me however and over here Westones never really got the rep.
Don´t know why that is.
On the other hand that kind of leaves the field quite open and they ARE relatively VERY inexpensive to pick up localy.

If i´d have to pick one "main" guitar right now...that´d be my Aria Pro II TA70.
That kind of tells both what i´d rather play and where my heart is at i guess.

/Jesper
Racing
Racing

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartb Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:57 am

but only if you post more pictures of your guitar...

Will do my best but don't really understand the simplicities of such complex actions.

Stu
stuartb
stuartb
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:28 am

Ha!! Nicely put!! Well, what most of us do in here is upload our pictures to a photo storage site, such as photobucket, imageshack et al, and then copy + paste the .img codes from there into our posts here; it's really quite easy... if I can do it, then anyone can!! Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartb Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 am

Will do my best.
Stu
stuartb
stuartb
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:34 am

Racing wrote:Guess it´s about time? /Jesper

Everyone say "Hi, Jesper!!" Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Empty Hi Jesper

Post by stuartb Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:40 am

Hi Jesper,
It's ok about the English: it's far better than my Swedish! I can't say 'welcome' because you've been here far longer than me, but the sentiment's meant.

Corsair, I've put some pictures on the 'members pictures' bit and they seem to work: well, at least they link to imageshack which seems to be ok, though why I ended up with the post twice I've no idea.

Stu

stuartb
stuartb
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:14 am

S'all good, Stuart - I can make the duplicate post disappear... actually, so can you !! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by THEBARRON Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:02 am

Hi Jesper,
I am 36 y/o & have always been a hobby guitarist @ home in the living room. I have played a grand total of 4 gigs in my life, 2 of them just recently & we blew the crowd away on 1 of them. so my guitarist expertice may not be as punctual as some... however I do love to play. To have the BANG that you must have had when you were younger & be good enough to cut an album is something to be really proud of mate! I was blown away buy a guitarist on the weekend. He would be pushing the best side of 48-50y/o,(i was on my hands & knees saying "im not worthy, im not worthy over & over)lol!... so its never too late to "singe your frets off brother".

And Hello to you to,
From your Thunder Down Under,
Richie..
THEBARRON
THEBARRON
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by xbarnesx Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 am

hi there I'm Tony, 34 y/o threatening to gig again after a 5 year break
learnt to play on my dads tobacco sunburst prestige 250 which I now 'look after' for him while his main guitar is a gibson es335
my other guitars are an '82 Ibanez AR105 (only guitar that beats the wetone - sorry), gibson SG special, jackson fusion, jackson dinky, jackson performer, columbus crest (335 copy), epiphone les paul jnr. my other mats is an aria pro II SB series bass
listen to most stuff, play postpunk, hardcore, postrock stuff
played in a few bands in my teens and twenties, even released a couple of 7"s on a DIY label in the early 2000's
now I'm working again on a dark brooding masterpiece
xbarnesx

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jorg Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Hello all.
I've yet to own a Westone but it doesn't stop me from trying. I do own 5 Matsumoku guitars but they're all AP2.
I'm a member at Matsumoku.org and recognize a few of you. I won't call names so nobody needs to admit it. lol!
I answer to most anything but you can call me Jorg (George).
jorg
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:17 pm

'Bout time Jorg! Welcome to the Wonderful World O' Westies.
There's a comfy chair over there in the corner...somewhere...oh, there it is...under Corsair. Just poke him in the ribs. He's been sittin' and playing his new red Spectrum at full volume and won't shut the hell up.
Sorry, we seem to be out of cookies. clown

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by jorg Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Somehow, I knew it was under Corsair. Maybe if I poke him, he'll drop his Spectrum and I can take it from him???
Shhh, be vewy quiet. I'm hunting Spectwums. . . Twisted Evil
jorg
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:34 am

Well well well; look what the cat dragged in?! Jeez, they'll let anyone in here these days... must talk to the admin 'bout that! Twisted Evil Nice to see you here, man... the home of "proper" Matsumokus!

Nope... sorry; you cain't have my nice comfy chair or my nice red Spectrum, but I may even let you touch it - with gloves on, of course! - when we come to the US!!

And it's Barry who won't shut the hell up with his 2 new guitars... MUMMY.... TELL HIM TO STOP!!!! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowliver Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:32 am

Hello there.
I'm Oliver, 29 years of age and hailing from the North West dump of Blackburn in the UK. Been playing bass for about 15 years now. First ever "real" bass was a Cream Spectrum Series II SPB311 bought for 80 quid in a second hand shop. Still got it and recently bust it our again for some gigs. I just today ( this morning) managed to get hold of a Thunder II, 81 model I think it is, so am pretty chuffed. i love amps and am always trawling online for any new additions to the always growing arsenal.
Been playing in bands since I was about 17. Toured quite lot and released a fair few records. Its the best thing ever.
Lowliver
Lowliver
Registered Member

Registration date : 2010-09-22

http://www.gonnamaketheponytrot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:29 pm

G'day Oliver - welcome here, and thank you for taking the time to "introduce" yourself!! Nice to hear of Westones being used in anger, I've got say, as many of us don't play out any more and sit around at home jealously guarding our ever-growing hoards of guitars! Laughing

Now.... best you rustle up some pix for the lads, bro - they get a bit antsy if no-one posts pix... Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Hooray, I'm not the only gigging bassist here! Welcome! Very Happy
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

x390 - Say hello... - Page 7 Empty Hello

Post by crackle Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm new to this forum,I got interested in westone guitar's last month. I was at work, I work with some younger guy's (I'm 55 but still play show's with my band) and my son, one day he noticed this co-worker tossing this old guitar in the dumpster he told the guy to ask if i wanted this guitar he didn't know what he had. He was about to throw away a 1990-88 westone spretrum GT with complete Kahler tremleo system, No pickups. this is my first westone it's a white crackle finish,neck and body are in awesome shape. I plan to restore and play this Bad boy!
crackle
crackle
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum