The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info On Spectrum MX

4 posters

Go down

spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Empty Info On Spectrum MX

Post by Penfold4140 Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:30 am

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the site, and kind of new to guitars aswell, so Hello to everyone.

I picked up a slightly neglected Blue Spectrum MX a couple of years ago, with the intention of fixing it up, and teaching myself to play (with the aid of some books and a dvd). Since then it has sat in a cupboard, and I've finally given in to the fact that I don't have the time or patience learn, so now I just plan on fixing it up and selling it.

I can't seem to find much info or wiring diagrams for the Spectrum MX, and wondered if anyone might be able to help there? Also, I had a look at a wiring diagram for the Spectrum DX, and the Spectrum Dynasty, and they both have 3 way switches, whereas my MX seems to have 5-ways? Is this the original switch? Or has someone replaced it in the past? It doesn't work when switched to what would be the neck pickup, so I need to open it up and find out whether it's a wiring fault, or the pickup is dead.

Any info/help is much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

David.

P.S. Would anyone have an idea of roughly what it's worth? Either in present condition, or fixed up. I can't see any for sale anywhere on the internet.
Penfold4140
Penfold4140
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Empty Re: Info On Spectrum MX

Post by Barry Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:48 am

Penfold4140 wrote:...my MX seems to have 5-ways? Is this the original switch?
Hi Penfold, and welocme. According to the information HERE, yes it is an original switch.
Without pictures though we're only guessing about what's wrong electronically. If you could upload a few we may be able to help.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Penfold4140 Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 am

OOPS spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_redface
Sorry, never noticed that part. I have been on that page aswell, obviously just not paying attention. I'll try and get time tomorrow to open it up and take some pics.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Penfold4140
Penfold4140
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Penfold4140 Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:57 am

Got a couple of pics of the Guitar. Opened up the backplate to have a look at the switch, and it was just needing a bit of a clean. The contacts were a bit grimy, and I checked it with a multimeter - No Contact. Skooshed a bit of electrical cleaner in there and worked the switch for a bit, and it's ok now, so the neck pickup should work. I'll test it when I get home.

spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX 03022013

spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX 03022014

Sorry the pics aren't great, I'll get better ones later. These were taken in a rush. The pics look alot more "Electric Blue" than the real thing.

I'll get some pics of the rough parts, and the damage, If anyone wants to put a rough value on it?

Now that I've got it out again, I can't decide whether to sell it, or keep it and try playing it again. I found my Squire 15 amp in a cupboard, so might have a blast and see. Definitely needs new strings though.

spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Moz-screenshot-4spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Moz-screenshot-5
Penfold4140
Penfold4140
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Penfold4140 wrote:...it was just needing a bit of a clean....Skooshed a bit of electrical cleaner in there and worked the switch for a bit, and it's ok now...
Great! That's generally all it is with these guitars. Looks like all she needs is a thorough cleaning and polishing and she'll be good as new.

I can't decide whether to sell it, or keep it and try playing it again.
Bad question to ask in here! KEEP IT! PLAY IT! spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_razz
spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Moz-screenshot-4spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Moz-screenshot-5

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Penfold4140 Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:58 am

I must admit, I set it up last night for what was meant to be a quick half hour, and ended up playing with it for almost 3 hours. spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_smile

I think if I put new strings on it, and sort the jack on it, I'm definitely going to enjoy learning. I'm not sure what's up with the jack though. If you rotate the cable, or pull it to one side slightly, it can go from working, to buzzing really loud, to totally dead. It's definitely not the cable as I've tried 3 different ones, and one of them is brand new. The wires on the jack socket look OK inside the rear panel, and there's not really much that can go wrong with it, is there? Funny, I seem to have the same issue on the amp aswell though.

They do work, as long as I don't touch the cables once it's working.
Penfold4140
Penfold4140
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:26 am

Hi there Penfold4140.

I was looking through your post and read the problems you are having with your jack socket. There are a couple of things you can try to sort it out.

First off, if you look at the socket from the rear you should see a long contact with a kink in it. The plug on the guitar lead has a notch in the tip of it, and this contact in the socket clicks into that notch. Take some wet & dry or sandpaper and gently clean this contact so you can see some fresh clean metal, it can get dirty if it hasn't been used for a while.

Also check the hole inside the socket for dirt or rust, the plug needs to make a good contact inside here aswell. If you think there is anything inside, just roll some sandpaper into a tight tube and gently push it into the socket and turn it a couple of times. Don't leave any loose sanding grit or dust in the control cavity, blow it out as it can cause grief if it gets caught in the electrics.

Secondly, carefully bend that same contact inward slightly, so it grips the plug better. This should tighten up the feel of the socket when you plug the lead in, and it should have a positive click to it.

If all else fails and you can solder, you can get replacements from MAPLINS for £1.49, just make a note of the wire connections before you change it.

Hope this helps,

DAN.

Last edited by DuoFuzz on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a bit!)
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Penfold4140 Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:41 am

Excellent, Thanks for that. Tried it last night, and it's working perfectly. It won't buzz or crackle even if I pull the cable from side to side.

I also polished the whole thing up, and it has come up really nice. There are a few dings and scuffs, but nothing major.

Thanks for all the help. Just need to pick up the new strings today and I'm all go. Hopefully it'll be easier on the fingers, cause mine are pretty sore now.
Penfold4140
Penfold4140
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:44 am

Hello Penfold and welcome! spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_smile

Penfold... wasn't he the sidekick for Danger Mouse??????
spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_lol spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_lol spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_lol

I digress, it's nice to see that you have decided to clean the old girl up and keep her, well done! Another convert joins the family!
spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_cheers

Keep on rockin'!

Polly
spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_queen spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Penfold4140 wrote:...it's working perfectly. It won't buzz or crackle even if I pull the cable from side to side...and it has come up really nice.
Excellent! spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_cheers
Like I said, it's hard to keep these guitars on the stand, eh!
And don't forget to give us some pix of the "resurrection"!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Penfold4140 Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:36 am

Yep, Penfold was the dangermouse sidekick. Apparently I looked like him with my glasses on when I was younger spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_redface I still don't see the resemblance though, honest.

I picked up the strings at the weekend, so I'll change them tonight hopefully. Is it safe enough to take them all off at the same time? Or should I stick to one at a time? I'd like to have them all off for a bit half hour, so I can get in and clean it properly.

I'll get some pics in daylight this week sometime, as the flash/artificial light seems to bring the colour up wrong.

Thanks for the advice, and the welcomes. spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_smile
Penfold4140
Penfold4140
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:43 am

Yeah, mate - whack 'em all off and get stuck into the fingerboard - and other - cleaning!! What you're not supoosed to do is release the string tension suddenly, ie with sidecutters - just roll them off with the machines!! spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_lol As long as they're not off for too long - weeks, for example - the neck shouldn't move too much at all; conversely when you re-string it, don't be concerned if it seems to go out of tune for a while afterwards: that'll be the strings and the neck settling down.
I use a string lubricant on the contact points as well..... (Go on, Barry - yuk it up!!)

www.bigbends.com/

Also if you're changing string gauges, that's going to have an effect on the floating bridge angles, so be aware of that as well....

Welcome here buddy; I fancy a trans blue MX/SX something wicked and shall have one someday! spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_cool spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_biggrin
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:01 am

corsair wrote:Yeah, mate - whack 'em all off...I use a string lubricant on the contact points as well...
spectrum - Info On Spectrum MX Icon_clown

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down