The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is This a Matsumoku?

2 posters

Go down

matsumoku - Is This a Matsumoku? Empty Is This a Matsumoku?

Post by boutjp97 Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:14 pm

I found this guitar but cannot identify it. It looks like a Concord H-II. When you blow up the picture and look at the headstock I believe it says Concord II but the W in Westone is a black W not the signature westone bird. Also the paintjob looks to be from the H-III but without the sparkle and the hardware is not correct. Is this the SLM version or one of the recent remakes? I am really confused and wnat to buy it but only if it is a Matsumoku. Any help?

matsumoku - Is This a Matsumoku? 40083_10
boutjp97
boutjp97

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-16

https://www.facebook.com/jason.bouton

Back to top Go down

matsumoku - Is This a Matsumoku? Empty Re: Is This a Matsumoku?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi Bout,

It looks to be a reissue but I couldn't say for certain.
scratch

Is there a serial number on it anywhere? That heavy black 'W' looks a bit odd to me. The only thing that I could suggest is that you thoroughly examine it to see if the logo has been replaced or altered in any way. Sometimes there is a shadow of the old one left if it has been replaced.

I suppose you could ask the shop if they do returns; buy it, give it a thorough checking out and if its not a Matsumoku, take it back for a refund!

(Well, it's worth a try!)
Laughing

Maybe some of the other chaps here could enlighten you further.

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:01 am

That's not even close, eh!! The H-II only came in 2 colours according to the catalogue, but the neckplate will say either 'Made in Japan' or 'Product of Matsumoku', and the lettering on the headstock should be in a straight line, not curved around the contours. I reckon there's enough doubt to walk away.... Sad

Last edited by corsair on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

matsumoku - Is This a Matsumoku? Empty I think I'll pass on this one

Post by boutjp97 Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:04 am

If any of you are interested here is a LINK to it. Asking 169.99 + shipping (US ONLY). Located in Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:46 am

I think I'll pass on this one...

...I think you're probably right! Mind you, there's always that sneaking doubt, eh.... Suspect Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

matsumoku - Is This a Matsumoku? Empty I'm going to call the store when they open

Post by boutjp97 Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:15 am

If it has a serial on the back of the headstock and a westone neck plate I may just get it, I don't know, it's a hard one to call. It may be one of those unidentified custom jobs, an H-II with the H-III paint job. But the crazy logo makes me doubt it. We'll see when I talk to the guys when the store opens. Mad
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

matsumoku - Is This a Matsumoku? Empty 99% sure It is matsumoku - so I bought it

Post by boutjp97 Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:37 pm

It has a serial begining in 3 and the neck plate says a Matsumoku product and westone tunning machines. Pickups are not original but all other electronics and bridge appear to be original. It appears to be an H-II with an H-III paintjob and a crazy logo. I will have to inspect the logo and see if it was repainted as Polly sugested and if the body was a repaint for that matter. If you look at the Concord III (I uploaded pictures in my collection of my III) the logo does follow the contour of the headstock, but the logo is way smaller on the concord III. :?: I'll upload closeups when I get the beast.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Well, even if it's a reissue - now looking unlikely! - it sure is pretty!! The blue burst does it for me.... Smile
corsair

Back to top Go down

matsumoku - Is This a Matsumoku? Empty I'll post some pics when I get it

Post by boutjp97 Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:45 pm

I'll take some detail pics and post. I want to get to the bottom of the mystery, is it the H-II with a repaint or some crazy custom job???? We shall see. What a Face
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down