The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420

4 posters

Go down

Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Empty Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420

Post by Crambone Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Hello,

Greetings to all, it's been a while for me...

I wondered if anyone can tell me what the color code wires are for the active pickups on a Corsair WA1420TBU. The bridge pickup had been replaced with an Emg when I got it. The neck pickup is original and has four wires total; a red going to the positive of the 9v battery, a brown going to the 3 way selector switch, and a black and orange which are cut short and not wired to anything. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Cheers,
Brother John
Crambone
Crambone
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-07-18

http://www.myspace.com/cramboneindy

Back to top Go down

Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Empty Re: Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420

Post by corsair Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:57 pm

You'd best send it to me so that I can "investigate' it for you..... Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Icon_lol You gonna show us what you've got there?! Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Icon_cool
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Empty Re: Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420

Post by Crambone Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:08 pm

It's the same one that's in my Westone collection pictures. The neck pickup really sounds good, I wish they'd left the bridge one alone, but you've got to take whatever you can get. 20 years ago I butchered several guitars with the best of intentions, looking back now I wish i'd left them alone. Live and learn I guess.
Crambone
Crambone
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:16 am

Crambone wrote: 20 years ago I butchered several guitars with the best of intentions,

We've all done it... 30 years ago i butchered a 58 Telecaster.....

Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Guitarsjpg001

... it was a beautiful butterscotch one... *sigh*

...that's not me, I hasten to add, but one of my nephews... Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Icon_lol

And sorry, but I can't help with your pick-up problem either!! Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Icon_rolleyes
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:10 am

Hi Crambone.

I'm not really up on the Magnaflux 6 pickups but I wanted to ask, does the pickup still coil tap?

Also, are the black and orange wires joined to each other, these sound like they might be a joint between the coils which when connected together make a complete humbucker. Connect these to a switch and you could cut out one of the coils.

You could try and put a multimeter on the different wires including joining the black and orange wires, and take notes on the outputs you get. I don't know how these output figures will look because the pickups are active but obviously the humbucking output should be twice that of either coil on it's own.

I'm guessing that the brown wire has a screened earth wire in it? the pickup has to have an earth of some sort or it shouldn't work!

This is all just a big fat guess on my part, hopefully someone on this forum with more experience on these pickups will be along in a bit.

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:09 am

corsair wrote:...We've all done it... 30 years ago i butchered a 58 Telecaster...it was a beautiful butterscotch one... *sigh*
It is to weep.
My band playing buddy had one of those for years...then sold it in a rash moment many years ago. He was recently lamenting that decision. The pain lives on.
But at least he didn't "burst" it! Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Icon_clown

And sorry, but I can't help with your pick-up problem either!! Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Icon_rolleyes
Me neither.
Best I can do is offer some links to general pickup wiring. You may find a clue there:
Guitar Wiring Site
Pickup Colour Codes
Guitar Pickup Colour Codes

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crambone Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:26 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the pickup links, they were good.

I took out the meter and checked the wires: red to shield 1.41 megohms, brown to shield 16.71 kohms. the orange and black read open to everything, each other included.

On the emg it read: red to shield 1.39 megohms, white to shield 16.84 kohms, red to white open.

After all this testing, I pluged in to an amp and tried hooking the black and orange together, black to shield, orange to shield, and it made no tonal difference.

If the Westone pickup is good, then those wires aren't used. It has a good sound though. I didn't know if anyone had one that they could open up and look at. I don't really know anything about active pickups. I was surprized in how close the readings are between the Westone and the emg 85. Maybe you can't really check them with a meter like you can with the normal passive humbuckers?

Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Icon_question Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Icon_question Corsair - Magnaflux 6 active pickup wires from a Corsair XA1420 Icon_question
Crambone
Crambone
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down