The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reverse pointy headstock??

+3
Barry
Administrator
rjimu56
7 posters

Go down

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Empty reverse pointy headstock??

Post by rjimu56 Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:34 am

i've been told that the pointy headstock sas only used on the korean models...not the mij. the only marking on the guitar are on the back of the headstock...33039 it is a reverse, pointy headstock with W WESTONE can anyone help? it has 3 knobs and a 5-way switch. kind of a blueish fade

Last edited by rjimu56 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
rjimu56
Registered Member

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Empty Re: reverse pointy headstock??

Post by Administrator Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 am

Hi,
There are a couple of reverse headstock Spectrum III's in the 1988 Westone Limited Editions catalogue which would put it firmly into Korean SLM territory.
Administrator

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by rjimu56 Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:54 am

thanks, i hope to get a pic up to identify this guitar. its got 3 knobs, a 5 - switch, its blue burst. no neckplate, h-s-s, bendmaster deluxe i believe. and the reverse pointy headstock. the body looks very much like the genesis 2. any ideas?
rjimu56
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:01 pm

We'll look forward to the pictures, which will probably get to the bottom of it, but in the meantime...

Does the body have the same distictive cutaway 'step' section just below the pickups like a Genesis series?
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Empty headstock

Post by rjimu56 Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:22 am

no, the body does not have that cutaway "step". i'm new to all this , how do i upload my pics? lol this guitar is being sold for $100 and i'm hoping its a matsumoku model!! thanks again
rjimu56
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:17 am

Hi,
When you write a new post, look at the top for the little icon that looks like a photo and a disk together - it's 12 icons in from the right, and if you hover over it it will pop up a message saying "host an image" Follow the instructions from there.
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by rjimu56 Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:16 am

here are a few pics. thanks
rjimu56
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:26 am

Or perhaps not! :-)
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Empty pics

Post by rjimu56 Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:48 am

i uploaded 5 pics onto here. nothing now? lol
rjimu56
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:27 am

Yup, looks like you have a Spectrum III. Take a look here: http://www.westone.info/xa1330.html

Westone.info states that this was made by Matsumoku for SLM, but the dates don't seem right to me as it first appeared in the 1987 catalogues which was the year that production switched to Korea. Perhaps someone else knows for definite. Either way, it's very unusual with the reverse headstock, which only appeared in Yellow and Pink originally. Humbucker is not original though which is a shame. US list price was $399 in 1987. Nice axe.

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Dsc09914

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Dsc09910

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Dsc09911

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Dsc09912

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Dsc09913
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by rjimu56 Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:38 am

thanks so much for getting these posted. i was curious as to why there is no neck plate. the former owner/boy switched out the knobs and humbucker and now cant find either for me to bring it back to its original state. lol thanks again
rjimu56
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:51 am

Don't know about the neck plate - although I would have to say that Westone was in a state of flux around that period, and it's entirely possible that they were transitioning joint styles - or perhaps using up parts or paint or anything else during that transition year. In theory they could have had a Limited Edition body blank, but no more yellow or pink paint! As there are currently no pictures of the rear of the Limited edition version we don't know how the neck was joined to the body.

But either way.... damn, get some new knobs for that guitar!!
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by rjimu56 Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:57 am

hahahaha thanks. and i will get something more appropriate! lol my only concern was matsumoku or korea. thanks for answering my questions, with a smile no doubt! any idea what the ballpark value of this is? thanks again
rjimu56
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:25 am

Well, I would go with Matsumoku. Price-wise, it depends where you are in the World and who wants to buy one that week! Certainly the non standard pickups(s), missing trem bits, and knobs will affect the value, but then the reverse headstock makes it more interesting. There is a near mint Spectrum III on ebay US for $349 but that has the anniversary logos on the rear covers etc. If you picked it up for $100 then you got a very good deal. Anywhere from $100 to $300 I guess, depending on who is looking. That probably doesn't help much!

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_biggrin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by rjimu56 Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 pm

no problem!! $100 for any good instrument is a great value to me. i enjoy the history more than anything, thats why i wanted the mij versus mik. thanks again for all your help and especially with the pic!! lol i hope others out there have a comment or two about this particular model they can add. the reverse neck my always remain a mystery!
rjimu56
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:29 pm

For $100 you had better grab it! Beautiful burst finish and it looks like it has that neck!
You can always look around on eBay and the like, and, of course, grovel here to get an original pup. Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_razz

But in the meantime, buy it...and replace those f&*^%$g knobs!! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_clown

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:46 pm

While the Bendmaster points at Matt, the neck bolts to me say Korean, but as Neil says, who the hell knows!!? What is for sure, 100 bux for that is a steal - run to the seller and buy ...NOW!! There's absolutely nothing wrong with the early Koreans; their build quality was second to none; in short they are a very very good guitar!!

Knobs gotta go.... Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_lol
corsair

Number of posts : 6321

Back to top Go down

Post by oldad70 Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Hey, I have one of the Chrome Yellow 1988 XA1330 Spectrum III guitars. They made them in the other-than-yellow or pink-colors in 1987 and 1988. As far as I can tell, and i feel confident, they were made in Japan. There were guitars being made in both Japan, and Korea...these were the last of the japanese-made?

I LOVE THE NECK!!! on this guitar.
oldad70
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-08-13

http://www.myspace.com/faithfolkproject

Back to top Go down

Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Empty mij/mik?

Post by rjimu56 Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:33 pm

i have seen a few like mine this week on cl, musicgoaround,etc. i'm hoping japan but the way the neck joint and plate looks leads me and others to think korea. i wish there was a way to determine for sure but i guess it was that in between period. and by the way, yellow ooks awesome! there's one on ebay i believe.
rjimu56
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:21 pm

rjimu56 wrote: yellow looks awesome!

Yeah; I like it too; I particularly like the Metallic Pink that Westone had!! In a Corsair 1440, no less!!

They made them in the other-than-yellow or pink-colors in 1987 and
1988. As far as I can tell, and i feel confident, they were made in
Japan

Maybe, but not by Matsumoku; the factory burned down in '88, after it had been taken over by the Singer Sewing machine Company which had ceased guitar manufacturing in late 1987... and the trouble is, no-one knows for sure about the last of the Westones, particularly the 'transition' ones; the likes of Vantage and Westbury went belly up almost immediately, but Westone made the move to Korea, albeit briefly, as did Aria Pro II. There were initial QC problems with the production which is often reflected in the prices of MIK guitars at auction, compared to the MIJ ones.
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by oldad70 Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Now, this is exactly why I joined this forum...Sir, I bow to your expertise. The quality of the XA1330 that I have is very good.
oldad70
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-08-13

http://www.myspace.com/faithfolkproject

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:49 pm

corsair wrote:Maybe, but not by Matsumoku; the factory burned down in '88, after it had been taken over by the Singer Sewing machine Company which had ceased guitar manufacturing in late 1987... and the trouble is, no-one knows for sure about the last of the Westones, particularly the 'transition' ones; the likes of Vantage and Westbury went belly up almost immediately, but Westone made the move to Korea, albeit briefly, as did Aria Pro II. There were initial QC problems with the production which is often reflected in the prices of MIK guitars at auction, compared to the MIJ ones.
Where does everyone get this information? Singer owned Matsumoku for a long time, and they made sewing machines alongside the guitars until 1987, when Singer was having financial trouble and sold off the factory. Where does this silly fire story come from? I've never seen anything official that says the place burned down, just that Singer owned them and was at risk of going under.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Warrn wrote:Where does this silly fire story come from? I've never seen anything official that says the place burned down, just that Singer owned them and was at risk of going under.

Hi Kevin, Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_smile

I wouldn't go so far as to say this is a 'silly' story because I don't think anybody really knows the true story. I personally have read a few conflicting stories on the web about the demise of Westone and Singer and the whole Matsumoku thing! I recall reading up about Washburns once and it was stated that a lot of their records were destroyed, (I can't remember whether it was in a fire or not) so, based upon this information, some of the details of early Washburns are quite sketchy.

Who knows, and does it really matter? The important thing is that these guitars have withstood the test of time and will be going strong for many years to come!

Polly
Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_queen Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:05 am

I suppose it doesn't matter, but I've only ever seen the fire story on eBay auctions. When I was originally trying to figure out what Westones were when my Spectrum bass appeared on craigslist, I just found that Singer had sold the factory. Maybe it did burn after they sold it, I don't know, but that was the end of whatever article I was reading.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:51 am

I've put it together from what I've found out from much more knowledgeable chaps than me at the Matt forums, and from an interview I read with Shiro Arai, and whilst some of the details may be incorrect, I believe that the basic bones are right; Singer owned the factory and shut down the guitar making side of things in '87, the fire which may or may not have completely destroyed the building, occurred in '88 and Singer probably just pulled the plug then.

Yay; Polly's back!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:28 am

corsair wrote:...the fire which may or may not have completely destroyed the building...
Yeah, it's a tragic if not confusing as hell history, no matter how you slice it. I've even seen an account which says the Mats plant was levelled by earthquake!
And of course, if in doubt, they always say, "It was made by Ibanez"!?Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Lol

Yay; Polly's back!!
About bloomin' time too! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_sunny

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:40 pm

Barry wrote:. I've even seen an account which says the Mats plant was levelled by earthquake!

That may also be true; the Kobe shake springs to mind...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:32 pm

[quote="Barry"]
corsair wrote:

Yay; Polly's back!!
About bloomin' time too! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_sunny

Aw thanks guys! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Herz

You have no idea what it has been like not to have my laptop for two weeks... the term 'stir crazy' springs to mind and I was driven to reading all my old James Herriot books again!
Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_study I was able to use my husbands' mac now and then, just to check my emails etc., Yeegads, but I was boggled eyed... Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_cyclops the screen is soooo tiny! I think if I'd had to use that for any length of time, I would have ended up with a permanent squint! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_wink

Anyhow, it's good to be back in the driving seat again!

Polly
Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_queen Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:02 am

Great guitar! I got its brother. Bought new sometime around 1989....I think.Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? 020508010Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? 020508014Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Guitarstuff052908006
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Nice! You're a bit of a dark horse - didn't know you liked Ovations!! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_lol
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:20 pm

corsair wrote:Nice! You're a bit of a dark horse - didn't know you liked Ovations!! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_lol
The man's got class! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_king
Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Ovation1983-front
Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? OvationElite-FullFront_view

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:56 pm

...I couldn't get shot of the one I had quick enough!!! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_razz Takes all kinds, eh!! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_lol
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Lots of mileage on the 1983 Collector's (black one), and still sounds great!
The Elite's also a great player, if not a tad neck heavy from the 5 piece maple/walnut (sound familiar?). I "Christened" her on my recent house gig so it's now officially road tested. Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_razz

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:30 am

corsair wrote:Nice! You're a bit of a dark horse - didn't know you liked Ovations!! Pointy - reverse pointy headstock?? Icon_lol
Who me? lol Yeah I like 'em.....I have a Legend 1767 as well that is one of the best acoustics I have ever played. I also have a Alvarez PD90S that is sweet. The Ibanez in the pic is nice as well though not my favorite. And I had a Godin A6 that I have regretted selling for the last 4 years! Sad
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down