The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK)

+4
Warrn
corsair
anaerobe
DuoFuzz
8 posters

Go down

series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Empty '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK)

Post by DuoFuzz Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:58 pm

I know nothing about THIS model but I really like it. Looks great in the clear red over flame maple with the white pickups and binding. Cool

Not sure of the going rate for these, but £255 B.I.N. might just be worth it, what do you reckon?

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Empty Re: '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK)

Post by anaerobe Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:09 pm

Yes, its very nice indeed.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Empty Re: '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK)

Post by corsair Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:07 am

Non-OEM stringlock, but god that's nice! Cool The controls are the same as my Clippers; thankfully that individual switching idea didn't catch on as it's a pain in the bum to use onstage, eh!!

Gee, that's pretty....
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 am

Oh man... do want...

Yes, that's right, I'm working on learning the guitar... be afraid.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:27 pm

This didn't go for £255 so it has been re-listed HERE for £189!

I have to say I think that's a lot of guitar for the money, I'd rather have this over a new Ibanez any day! series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_twisted

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Agree with Dan about the value fer the dough.
But, as partial as I am to Spectrums (Spectra?) I don't much care for the enlongated horns of this particular design. Sorry. I much refer the S/ST/GT look. It is a beautiful colour though and trimed out just right!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:25 pm

Damn! someone just got a beauty. This has gone for £125!. Stone cold bargain. series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_sad

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by diddydave Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:48 pm

DuoFuzz wrote:Damn! someone just got a beauty. This has gone for £125!. Stone cold bargain. series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_sad

DAN.

that will be me then
SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
diddydave
diddydave
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:53 pm

Good catch, total bargain at £125.

Err.. be careful with the headstock, you could have someone's eye out with that!!
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:08 pm

diddydave wrote:that will be me then...
Al-l-l-l-l-l-l righty then!
Well done! LOVE the colour!
Thar he wuz just a stummin' on 'is git, singing, "Do wa diddy diddy dum diddy do!"

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Dave.

With all due respect, and in my humble opinion, you sir are a jammy bastard! (Only joking mate! series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_wink )

Seriously, you completely mugged him. It's got to be one of the best deals I've seen in a long time, he first put that up for £255 and it didn't shift!

I can honestly say I'm jealous of this one, gotta see when you get it. (Lucky son of a ........)

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by diddydave Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:00 pm

this was a no brainer as i was on a nostalgia trip back to my metal days and looking for a pointy headstock locking trem guitar.

i did miss out on a couple of explorer type (Jackson and Krammer) as i love the style but it occurred to me that a westy could fit the bill nicely, I have not seen in the flesh let alone played a post Matsumoku Westone so i am intrigued as to its build and feel.

I will let you know how it plays when (if the guy doesn't change his mind) i get it.

my colleague who is a very lucky Burns collector asked if i could exhibit my Westones at an exhibition in Totnes Smile they are going to be next to some of the rarest Burns with others, i cant wait Smile
diddydave
diddydave
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:26 pm

diddydave wrote:my colleague who is a very lucky Burns collector asked if i could exhibit my Westones at an exhibition in Totnes series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_smile they are going to be next to some of the rarest Burns with others, i cant wait series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_smile

You'd better take some bloody pictures for the gang here then matey!! series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_lol series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_lol Well done on that Spectrum man - can't wait to see it and hear what you think to it!! series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_twisted
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:10 pm

Thats a beauty and a snip, if she plays as well she looks, phwoaar.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by diddydave Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:18 pm

I completely agree she is a looker

I never go very far without my camera Smile pics to come
diddydave
diddydave
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by diddydave Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:01 pm

well it arrived yesterday and i put it together unseized the pots (not been used in a long time), restrung it, set up and here it is:
series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) DSCF2273
great action, nice neck profile and feel, trem seems good if a little sticky, good finish with a couple of minor dings, pickups shockingly bad Sad

they lack character and are very thin sounding but also not very hot

What would you guys replace them with?
diddydave
diddydave
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:23 am

You might want to check the wiring or have someone look at it if wiring isn't your thing. If you do end up replacing them, try to keep the cream look. I don't know anything about actual pickups, unfortunately.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:43 am

If the guitar hasn't been used for ages then that bridge could probably do with being taken off and thoroughly cleaned up; if you want to do that give me a yell and I'll talk you through it!! series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) Icon_biggrin

The p'ups are a little thin, I agree - well they are on my Clippers but that's just tele thin - and yes, I reckon to make the most of that beautiful neck, a p'up change would be a good way of doing it, particularly if it's gonna be a player.

BTW, that bridge p'up isn't a true h/b; rather two singles side by side; odd eh!!

Still ad all, it looks the goods and in good enough nick, too; well done!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:21 am

corsair wrote:If the guitar hasn't been used for ages then that bridge could probably do with being taken off and thoroughly cleaned up...
Second that suggestion...
'Hate to have yer go fer the BIG BEND and end up on hands and knees looking for little bits and pieces!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by diddydave Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Well, i took the old Humbucker out of this one, and to be honest, not too impressed.
series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) DSC00107

Resined in so no way to practically replce the cover on to new coils so i went for plan B (or maybe C i'm not sure)
series - '88 Spectrum Series II SP6112 (UK) DSC00110

sounds so much fuller and hotter now Smile

what's involved with servicing the trem? I think the knife edges need a sharpen as it is sticking in 2 positions slightly

its been a while since i set up a floating trem
diddydave
diddydave
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down