The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I definitively age my Prestige 250?

5 posters

Go down

prestige - How do I definitively age my Prestige 250? Empty How do I definitively age my Prestige 250?

Post by woodgnome Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm

I have a Sunrise Sunburst Prestige 250 and I have read that if it has Westone in script on the headstock, it is 1982/83. I also read somewhere that it should have a serial number, but can't remember where I saw it Rolling Eyes and Google hasn't been any help retracing my steps.

Any ideas where the serial number is or how else I could find out the age? Apologies if it's a dumb question, but it's not only my guitar which is getting on a bit  tongue
woodgnome
woodgnome
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2018-12-10

Back to top Go down

prestige - How do I definitively age my Prestige 250? Empty Re: How do I definitively age my Prestige 250?

Post by Westbone Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Nice guitar.. Smile

Should be able to find it on the rear of the headstock at the top.

Some are hard to see due to the paint/lacquer but it should be there.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

prestige - How do I definitively age my Prestige 250? Empty Re: How do I definitively age my Prestige 250?

Post by gittarasaurus Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:07 pm

the serial number should be on the back of the headstock, right at the top edge
like this one;
prestige - How do I definitively age my Prestige 250? Enhanceprestige - How do I definitively age my Prestige 250? Enhanceprestige - How do I definitively age my Prestige 250? Enhance
the first digit indicates the year of production, the next two digits indicate the month of production, the final four digits are the production numbers
this one would be; 2=1982, 05=May, product 1743
my speculation is that production numbers include all westone models built each month

so, how about some pics of your guitar?
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by woodgnome Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:57 am

Wow, no wonder I couldn't find the serial number, talk about indistinct! Thanks for that, turns out it's September 1982, 2425. Pic below. The sharp-eyed may notice an extra mini toggle switch. It was put in to give more switching options for the pickups, but I wasn't convinced it did anything for the sound, so disconnected it. Was thinking maybe use it to create a single coil sound on one of the pickups, but never got around to it  tongue

prestige - How do I definitively age my Prestige 250? 2018-110
woodgnome
woodgnome
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Pity about the mini switch could have just put a pull/push switch at one of the volume controls would have done whatever you were trying to achieve without drilling a hole in a fine guitar.

Does it still have the stock wiring?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by woodgnome Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Not really my idea. But this was back in 1982 and I'll admit I was a bit naive and the guitar technician didn't say how he was going to achieve it. Something to do with the phasing of the pickups I think but it only interrupted the wiring on one pickup as far as I can see.

Is it the stock wiring? I have no clue, but as I said there only seems to be the wires from one pickup which were wired into the switch. Would I have gone through with it now knowing what I do now? Nope, just another dropped stitch in life's rich tapestry.....
woodgnome
woodgnome
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 am

Wiring diagram is HERE

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Great machine there... top quality on those 250's.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down