The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spectrum DX Electrics and Cosmetics

4 posters

Go down

spectrum - Spectrum DX Electrics and Cosmetics Empty Spectrum DX Electrics and Cosmetics

Post by Sycosyd Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Hello Guys.

As I said in my intro post the other day I have a couple of issues with my spectrum.

There is no sound coming from the jack, removing the plastic covers on the back show that there are a few loose wires, this may be the only issue and I MAY solve it by an easy re-solder, BUT while I have it on the work bench is it worth either Replacing the pickups with a set of new DiMarzio humbuckers, OR, taking off the pickups and getting them re-wound at House Of Pickups? 

The other is cosmetic, and I fear a more involved fix.  There are a number of chips and scratches, some quite large, if I have the spectrum on the bench to sort the wiring/pickups I may re spray and laceur the body as it will require pretty much full strip down.

The question is, What is the paint code for the Cherry Red so that I can match its colour.

TIA

Syd
Sycosyd
Sycosyd
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2018-07-30

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Spectrum DX Electrics and Cosmetics Empty Re: Spectrum DX Electrics and Cosmetics

Post by corsair Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:09 pm

Just take the body along to a paint shop and get it colour matched.
Be aware that the catalysed polyester finish on these things is very hard indeed and requires much elbow grease to remove!!

Replacing the pickups is a good idea if you're not keen on the current sound, and the world is your oyster with many choices out there, not all of which are as expensive as DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan!! I've had great success with Toneriders and others with Entwistles and GFS kit, so shop around... what pickups are in there now: MMK45s or the UBCs?
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Spectrum DX Electrics and Cosmetics Empty Re: Spectrum DX Electrics and Cosmetics

Post by Sycosyd Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks. 

Its the original Magnaflux UBC's.

I was not thinking of stripping all the polymer, more just stripping the colour, priming and getting some paint as I have a compressor.
Sycosyd
Sycosyd
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Those UBCs are pretty much universally reviled as being weak and tonally bland so a p'up change will only improve the tones available.

Ah, rightio... my suggestion stands; take it along to a paint shop and get it colour matched. The original codes are probably not going to help as the guitar will have faded over the last 30 years, eh, and the paint shop will match it exactly...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sycosyd Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:20 pm

corsair wrote:Those UBCs are pretty much universally reviled as being weak and tonally bland so a p'up change will only improve the tones available.
Ahh so I AM better getting some new ones, great stuff.
Ah, rightio... my suggestion stands; take it along to a paint shop and get it colour matched. The original codes are probably not going to help as the guitar will have faded over the last 30 years, eh, and the paint shop will match it exactly...
"Paint SHop" as in a shop that sells paint?
Sycosyd
Sycosyd
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:05 pm

Yep.

And yep, again.

:-)
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sycosyd Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:39 pm

corsair wrote:Yep.

And yep, again.

:-)
Yeah, I realised that you might not be an american telling me to take it to somewhere that does the work.
Sycosyd
Sycosyd
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Um, the New Zealand flag under the avatar might have tipped you off too! Laughing

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Laughing ah, rightio; yeah, sorry! Yes, I meant take it to a purveyor of fine pigments, rather than an actual painter bloke!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sycosyd Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Barry wrote:Um, the New Zealand flag under the avatar might have tipped you off too! Laughing
Yeah, I am at times a little slow

Laughing ah, rightio; yeah, sorry! Yes, I meant take it to a purveyor of fine pigments, rather than an actual painter bloke!! 
Great stuff

While I have you Corsair, Odd one - But how much does your MX weight, Just grabbed one from Ebay but need to book a parcell collection
Sycosyd
Sycosyd
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:17 pm

I'll have to drag it out and weigh it, Syd - it's in storage but not much more than about 4kg, from memory.

corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sycosyd Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:21 pm

corsair wrote:I'll have to drag it out and weigh it, Syd - it's in storage but not much more than about 4kg, from memory.

It was to sort the shipping of the ebay win, but I gave UPS 4Kg but if its any more I'll get charged, though the vendor said its No More than 4Kg.

BTW, It was £44 plus £20.61 carrage, £65 for a westie Colour me chuffed!
Sycosyd
Sycosyd
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Thumb Up

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:50 pm

"BTW, It was £44 plus £20.61 carrage, £65 for a westie Colour me chuffed!"

You,ve been robbed!... affraid
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sycosyd Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:10 am

Any idea how you'd recreate the clear blue finish if I have too?
Sycosyd
Sycosyd
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:21 pm

I had my Trans blue SX completely resprayed by a friend who happens to be a pro, and there is a green in there as well as blue! I thought originally that the blue was a tint in the clear, and that may well have the case originally, but that's not the way my bloke did mine...
So, to answer your question... no; I have no idea how to patch up a trans finish! Taking the body down to a spray painter or airbrush pro and asking for advise might be a start?? I've never been shy when asking advice and I've never been disappointed... in fact, Damian may have something...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down