The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Spectrum DX string clamp

2 posters

Go down

spec* - Looking for Spectrum DX string clamp Empty Looking for Spectrum DX string clamp

Post by nmycon Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:34 pm

Picked up a Spectrum DX at a pawn shop last week. Among several modifications the previous owner made was replacing the string clamp with string trees. Of course this means that any use of the trem system brings the strings out of tune.

Overall the guitar is missing the string clamp and the back control cavity and trem covers. I will try making the covers myself, but I've been unable to locate a replacement string clamp, so I though I'd try here.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
nmycon
nmycon

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-01-17

Back to top Go down

spec* - Looking for Spectrum DX string clamp Empty Re: Looking for Spectrum DX string clamp

Post by corsair Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:38 pm

The OEM stringlocks are an exercise in futility to try and source these days; they were a proprietary item only used on Westone and were not particularly well cast, being a pot metal casting with steel bolts... many have been stripped by ham-handed guitarists!!

Your options are locking tuners, a behind-the-nut Kahler stringlock available from Kahler or Wammi world etc. or have a locking nut installed. In the meantime, make sure that the contact points are lubed - nut & saddles - and that the strings are tied off on the machine head a la a capstan, i.e. string through the hole, first turn above the end poking through, and second & consecutive turns underneath.

Unless you're doing wild-arse dives and up bends, this should be enough to keep some semblance of tuning until you decide which way to jump.
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down