The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup

3 posters

Go down

electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup Empty Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup

Post by Guest Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Hello, My Girlfriend got me a 1984 Electra Phoenix X110 VW.
It was to replace one like I once owned.

I swapped out the off wall generic Pickup someone stuck in it
with a Aria Pro Model MMK 45 Gold Post Humbucker and it's
a 4 Conductor Red White Green Ground Wire model.

Of course this is the Single Humbucker Model Phoenix Single Tone / Vol
with a DPDT. The DPDT switch was busted so I've replaced it with a
All Parts Gold Post/Shaft on to match the Black / Gold Hardware.

I've looked for days to find a Wiring Schematic for proper wiring
the 4 conductor MMK 45 and can't find one anywhere on the web
showing which wires goes to which post I know one of the
middle lugs / post goes to the vol input after
that I'm lost. I also do know the Bare is Ground. 

Can anyone please help me with proper connecting the 3 Wires
to the dpdt switch.

Last edited by Electra 110VW Owner on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting my post description.)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup Empty Re: Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup

Post by Westbone Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:35 am

White is hot
Red for coil tap
Disregard the green it's for phase reversal with a two pickup guitar.
And ground is your bare wire.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup Empty Re: Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup

Post by gittarasaurus Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:53 pm

i believe you will need to connect the green wire to ground as well. the coils must have a grounded connection too.

at the pickup, the bare wire is connected only to the baseplate, which allows for shielding even when using a reverse-phase output setting

on a 2 pup guitar, the phase reverse switch would swap the connections of the green and white wires to ground or output while leaving the shield connection unchanged
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:04 am

gittarasaurus is correct the green will need to be connected to ground.

electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup Sany0110
electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup Sany0111
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

I have her all wired with the Aria II MMK 45 with Gold post and here is what I did in addition to using Seymour Duncan / Bourns Smooth 500k Pots and a Vintage Style Emerson Oil and Paper .047uf Cap and a Gold Switch Craft Jack, All Parts On / On / On Gold DPDT shes got tons of Tone.

electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup 7xuxpp10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Ok few other Minor changes I went with the Notched Vintage Gibson Knobs, Black Tip 6mm  Floyd Arm an Black Chromer Metal Humbucker Mounting Ring using Gold Screws, Gold Tuner Screws on Neck Rod Cover yet Stock/Classic/Updated look with the Gold Post MMK45 Aria Pro II Humbucker... electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup Vcjo8310
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 pm

The String Alignment is so close to perfect with the Pickup Post. That 4 Conductor MMK45 with the Emerson .047 Red Oil and Paper Cap better Pots , Jack and Switch makes this a more versatile sleeper that can go from Jazz, Blues, Country to Metal Shredder.

The tone characters range is so amazing what the hard part was using my Left hand to do the Mods since I'm right handed and had a massive stroke on Feb 1st.

However it was therapeutic as well to try to get my right hand working again hopefully shredding again soon. Looking at her like the first one I bought in 84 as my first Electric Guitar I've fell back in love with this Model Guitar, Slick, Sexy, and built with high quality standards.

Hope I can find the Dual Humbucker 125 I think it was in same color now. OBTW she's getting Dunlop Stainless 6150 Frets Soon and Graphite Nut.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Beautiful job, really nice.
I'm a big fan of both single pup guitars and the Spectrum/Electra lineup. When you put them both together, it's gotta be magic time!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8683
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup Empty The Wiring and updated componets usedin the X110 VW

Post by Guest Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 am

This is about $40.00 in Parts including Shipping, The Pros of this the Stock appearance stays with just a Touch of Trim Color update matching.

Sound Wise you go beyond a mere Coil Tap/ Coil Cut to adding a Series / Parallel Output from the Single Humbucker.

The Sound / Tone is improved with a Fender Strat Vintage,Gibson PAF Vintage / Seymour Duncan JB style Humbucking Tone Range out of a Single Aria Pro ZZ Gold Post MMK45 Pickup. Basically sounding lik Three different Guitars.

That Oil Cap is so much more Tone Warming, the Pots are smoother responding for quick changes.
electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup Dscn3210
Electra 110VW Owner wrote:The String Alignment is so close to perfect with the Pickup Post. That 4 Conductor MMK45 with the Emerson .047 Red Oil and Paper Cap better Pots , Jack and Switch makes this a more versatile sleeper that can go from Jazz, Blues, Country to Metal Shredder.

The tone characters range is so amazing what the hard part was using my Left hand to do the Mods since I'm right handed and had a massive stroke on Feb 1st.

However it was therapeutic as well to try to get my right hand working again hopefully shredding again soon. Looking at her like the first one I bought in 84 as my first Electric Guitar I've fell back in love with this Model Guitar, Slick, Sexy, and built with high quality standards.

Hope I can find the Dual Humbucker 125 I think it was in same color now. OBTW she's getting Dunlop Stainless 6150 Frets Soon and Graphite Nut.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Number 2 X110NA Being updated like the Vintage X 110VW How Ever this one is Getting Upgraded with 2 - Modern Vintage Guitar CTS 450GT A500K Pots Low Torque 10%[size=13][size=16]. Sprague Vitamin Q .047uf Vintage Oil & Paper Cap. The 4 Conductor MMK45 as is the 3 Way On / On / On DPDT Chrome DPDt to get Coil Tap, Parallel, and Series Tones and new Switch Craqft 1/4" Jacks.

The MMK45 now Rest in a Black Chrome Humbucker Ring with new Chrome Screws, Chrome Gibson Knob Pointers and MMK Post are now Chrome, a Chrome and Black Tip Tremolo Arm Coming, and Control Plate and Trem Cover from Westbone. Just need a Truss Cover and this Baby will Be Rocking.

[/size][/size]
electra - Help Wiring a 84 Electra Phoneix X110VW with a MMK45 4 Conductor Pickup Zxzds110

Last edited by Electra 110VW Owner on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misstyped)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down