The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

custom Rainbow pickguard

4 posters

Go down

Rainbow - custom Rainbow pickguard  Empty custom Rainbow pickguard

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:05 pm

i just finished making a custom pickguard for a Rainbow guitar.
made with cocobolo wood, hand cut and shaped abalone shell for the inlay, black CA glue from stew-mac, finished with several coats of lacquer
Rainbow - custom Rainbow pickguard  Ry%3D400Rainbow - custom Rainbow pickguard  Ry%3D400Rainbow - custom Rainbow pickguard  Ry%3D400Rainbow - custom Rainbow pickguard  Ry%3D400Rainbow - custom Rainbow pickguard  Ry%3D400
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Rainbow - custom Rainbow pickguard  Empty Re: custom Rainbow pickguard

Post by Meadows Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Really like the logo, particularly with the black surround, great work Smile
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2013-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Nice!! Thumb Up
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:17 pm

this is the first time i have tried something like this. i would give it about an 8 out of 10 for success.

the cocobolo was a piece of scrap from the waste bin at the exotic wood store. a relative of rosewood, it was quite easy to shape and finish. cocobolo looks great even with no finish. sanding to 600gt gives the surface a very nice natural shine. i used a dremel tool to make the cavity for the inlay, and a small chisel to flatten the bottom and edges.

the abalone was relatively easy to work with needle files. i purchased a 1oz. package of scrap pieces of shell, all different sizes and shapes, most pieces no bigger than 1 inch across at largest dimension. it polishes up nicely with some wet sanding at 600 grit.

the CA glue is difficult to work with. easy to put in place with a 'whip tip', but it shrinks a lot. i added many layers to try to fill in the gaps but it always shrunk up and was not level with the top of the abalone. that is why i chose to finish it off with lacquer. that filled up the last bit of the outline and it feels mostly pretty smooth now.

with some practice i could do better with the accuracy of the cut-out in the wood. i need to find something better to fill in the edges to a level surface. i would like to be able to make an inlay without a finish over the top, like on a typical rosewood fingerboard.

i liked this project because it was a no-risk experiment.
more inlay experiments to come. Smile
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:54 pm

Great work Mike. I admire your ability to jump in and do this sort of work. You and Steve (DimIV Addict) should go into the custom inlay business together, you both have the passion and talent. Coffee Drinker

We once had a limited edition Taylor at the shop made of cocobolo. It was spectacular. Sounded good too!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down