The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howdy, all. "New Guy" needs Bendmaster Deluxe Trem parts!!

5 posters

Go down

Corsair - Howdy, all. "New Guy" needs Bendmaster Deluxe Trem parts!! Empty Howdy, all. "New Guy" needs Bendmaster Deluxe Trem parts!!

Post by Erich0316 Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:32 pm

Great forum, by the way. I need to surprise a good friend with some small parts for his Westone. I need the locking blocks for the locking nut (all three) in chrome and 3 fine tuners for the Bendmaster Deluxe. Anyone know where I can get them? Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Erich0316
Erich0316

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-02-14

Back to top Go down

Corsair - Howdy, all. "New Guy" needs Bendmaster Deluxe Trem parts!! Empty Re: Howdy, all. "New Guy" needs Bendmaster Deluxe Trem parts!!

Post by corsair Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:53 pm

G'day there...

The locking blocks were only ever in black OEM and the ones that you can get by PM'ing  Sgt Vimes are bare metal. You will also need 1mm shims under the strings to stop the stringlock base acting as a guillotine! We tend to make our own out of 1mm steel strapping or similar; not hard, just fiddly.

Fine tuners are an orphan and nothing else readily available will fit; 6mm Allen headed bolts will serve until you can get some from eBay or any of the other auction sites! I had a modelkler friend make up some personalised caps out of hand cast pewter for the Allen bolts which look really good!
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

psafloyd likes this post

Back to top Go down

Corsair - Howdy, all. "New Guy" needs Bendmaster Deluxe Trem parts!! Empty Thanks, Corsair

Post by Erich0316 Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:37 am

After a couple of hours searching for "stuff" I understand. Thanks so much for the reply and I will work on fabricating the fine tuners. I have a machine shop I can use (and I actually know how, a little haha), My friend is a Westone fan (big time) and I think I'm going to have to get used to the fabrication part if I keep tinkering with his guitars. I appreciate the guidance and I'll see you back on the "boards".....

Erich
Erich0316
Erich0316

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-02-14

Back to top Go down

Corsair - Howdy, all. "New Guy" needs Bendmaster Deluxe Trem parts!! Empty Re: Howdy, all. "New Guy" needs Bendmaster Deluxe Trem parts!!

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:21 pm

The fine tuner screws are M4 (4mm) thread and the head can be no bigger tham 9mm dia. 

As corsair says above,  I have the reproduction clamp bits,  send a pm and we'll sort you out,  no probs. 
Welcome aboard!
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by psafloyd Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:22 pm

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I'll try and wake it up. 

I'm looking for the following for a Bendmaster deluxe bridge that's on a Clipper:

thumb wheel fine tuners;

nut clamps; 

bar – I remember seeing someone suggesting an alternative somewhere. 

Also interested in discovering what the colour is as it is a fairly lurid green.
psafloyd
psafloyd
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2016-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:20 pm

zombie mask Boo! (Zombie thread alert)

Well now, a lot has happened in the 6 years that his thread was active but the hardware info above is still valid.

Forum member Corsair pops in occasionally so he may have something to add if he does.

Forum member Sgt Vimes has not been around for a long time so I would consider him inaccessible but you could try contacting him just in case he's still monitoring things (I would recommend emailing rather that PM'ing as a member does not see forum messages unless logged in).

In the meantime, a 6 mm ("import size") tremolo bar should fit nicely and you can get them many places online.

If you haven't seen it already here's the link to the Clipper entry on our website: CLIPPER SERIES

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8687
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by psafloyd Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:59 am

Thank for the response, Barry – it's much appreciated. I was about to ask how one goes about making blocks from steel strapping, but saw your answer. Am already looking on the internet for likely replacements. I've also got a couple of Floyd Roses on an Aria Pro II JX-3 and a Palm Bay Typhoon II, so may compare with what I find. I shall try an 'import' 6mm trem. May already have on in my treasure chest. I had seen a thread – I thought on here –  that discussed replacing the insert in the bendmaster for a Floyd Rose one so a FR arm could be used. Have seen the Clipper link, thanks. I was told it was probably an early Matsumoku Clipper, though I didn't believe it could be. Its a 4112 and I think it Must be sky blue that has either faded, or the clearcoat has yellowed, as it is definitely a lurid greeny/blue. May have to give it a buff and see if that improves matters. Don't know if you know anything about the headstocks. It appears to have been made out of multiple pieces of wood.  Many thanks, once again. Barry wrote:zombie mask Boo! (Zombie thread alert)

Well now, a lot has happened in the 6 years that his thread was active but the hardware info above is still valid.

Forum member Corsair pops in occasionally so he may have something to add if he does.

Forum member Sgt Vimes has not been around for a long time so I would consider him inaccessible but you could try contacting him just in case he's still monitoring things (I would recommend emailing rather that PM'ing as a member does not see forum messages unless logged in).

In the meantime, a 6 mm ("import size") tremolo bar should fit nicely and you can get them many places online.

If you haven't seen it already here's the link to the Clipper entry on our website: CLIPPER SERIES
psafloyd
psafloyd
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:47 pm

The Floyd Rose should be a 10-32 thread, quite a bit smaller. Not worth the headache to adapt it. Much simpler to just buy the correct diameter in the first place, nice and solid.

I think you're right about the colour change, UV exposure does that to a number of colours. 
Buffing probably will not make much of a difference except to make it nice and shiny!

I'm not certain about the Clippers in particular but Matsumoku typically added the colour to the catalyzed poly finish (rather than to the wood and then sealing it with clear). The colour change will therefore be all the way through the thickness.

As matter of practicality and economy, yes head stocks on almost all guitars are made of several pieces of wood, especially all the "pointy" models. There's no way that any manufacturer is going to waste a huge amount of expensive wood just to make the neck one-piece top to bottom. It's actually stronger that way too.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by psafloyd Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:05 am

Is that the Floyd Rose trem arm you're referring to as 10/32\", Barry? Or. the fine tuners or locking nut bolts? I'd have thought Westone would have been metric and have checked that a 6mm import arm fits like a dream. So, just the locking nut and fine tuners. Fine tuners are a bit tricky as I couldn't get the tuners out of my JX-3 FR to test on the Clipper. They have 9mm heads and need to check if the thread is 4mm. Then I should be able to find some.  Barry wrote:The Floyd Rose should be a 10-32 thread, quite a bit smaller. Not worth the headache to adapt it. Much simpler to just buy the correct diameter in the first place, nice and solid.

I think you're right about the colour change, UV exposure does that to a number of colours. 
Buffing probably will not make much of a difference except to make it nice and shiny!

I'm not certain about the Clippers in particular but Matsumoku typically added the colour to the catalyzed poly finish (rather than to the wood and then sealing it with clear). The colour change will therefore be all the way through the thickness.

As matter of practicality and economy, yes head stocks on almost all guitars are made of several pieces of wood, especially all the "pointy" models. There's no way that any manufacturer is going to waste a huge amount of expensive wood just to make the neck one-piece top to bottom. It's actually stronger that way too.
psafloyd
psafloyd
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:36 am

The 10-32 was in reference to the FR tremolo arm that you brought up in post #7 as a possible replacement.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:33 am

Make sure your stringlock base is not stripped out; they are repairable quite easily if you’re handy, but otherwise they can be a veil of tears! Just run a bolt into the block and see if it’s OK.
The shims are easily made from any 1mm thick material; I used steel because it was free… just be sure to drill the holes before you cut them inti the requisite shapes!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:40 am

Corsair - Howdy, all. "New Guy" needs Bendmaster Deluxe Trem parts!! Img_0610

…I don’t have a photo of my 4112 as it it a case queen; to my shame I haven’t used it for years, but there it is at the back in faded Sky Blue, with replacement stringlock clamps, shims and bar.
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:46 am

Nice group shot there Johnny, good to see ya mate! Hello Wave

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by psafloyd Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:03 am

Barry wrote:The 10-32 was in reference to the FR tremolo arm that you brought up in post #7 as a possible replacement.

Gotcha, thanks mate.
psafloyd
psafloyd
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down