The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is my nut made of?

3 posters

Go down

What is my nut made of? Empty What is my nut made of?

Post by Confused Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Hello all,
Any idea what material the nut on a 1986 Pantera X275 is? Mine is missing and I will have to either buy a pre-made nut and fit it or fabricate one myself. Thanks.
Confused
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

What is my nut made of? Empty Re: What is my nut made of?

Post by Sfalj Thu May 15, 2008 2:18 pm

These pages might be helpful:

http://westone.info/indexpantera.html
http://westone.info/panterax275.html

It might also help the people on the board if you posted pictures of your guitar to get a sense of what your situation is.
Sfalj
Sfalj

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Confused Thu May 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Jeepers you folks are quick....Thanks Sfalj. I have looked at the pages you listed and I missed the "Graphite Nut" reference-sorry...don't ever get old...I'm a technology ludite and don't have access to a digital camera.
Generally, the instrument's "head" (I don't know if this is the proper term, but the part the tuning pegs go on) and all associated bits had been taken apart. The only think I have found missing so far is the nut and the cover plate for the neck tensioning allen key which I will probably fabricate myself although I will not be able to emboss X275 on it. That's about it with a few thumb screws and wood screws MIA as well. Overall, the body is ding free and still has the nice perlescent ivory finish.....oh, the neck appears straight as well. I have no idea what shape the electrics are in but that will come.
Confused
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sfalj Thu May 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Personaly, I've no experience with that kind of nut as I have never had a guitar with a vibrato like that. Though, I am quite sure that some of the other members will be able to help.

Oh, and it's headstock, you were close enough.
Sfalj
Sfalj

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Confused Thu May 15, 2008 7:42 pm

Hiya,
Aw crap, headstock...of course...jeepeers, the dendrons were MIA years ago...thanks to Timothy Leary (I think) . I seem to recall a Jimi Hendicks concert in 1968-awsome....not a Westone but a heck of a guitarist (sp?) I'm getting old....
Confused
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu May 15, 2008 11:31 pm

Mate, borrow a camera and get some pix up... even I can do that and I am the original Luddite - I have to use a Mac 'cause I don't understand Windows!! Laughing - run your cursor along the symbols above the text box and you will come to one that says when you pause the cursor over it, Host an image; click it and follow the instructions. When it has done its' thing there will be 3 lines of odd looking URLs; I copy and paste the middle one into my post... job done!

We'd all like to see the guitar, eh!! Smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Confused Fri May 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Hello all,
The story thus far....I was quite successful at the local music store, they had 3 tremelo springs (already installed this evening), and graphite bridges listed as for a Martin guitar same fingerboard radius but different base (I'll have to file or Dremel that down). I have carefully removed the neck and am proceeding to fit the nut. Any hints as to how much "clearance" betweeen bottom of the nut grooves and the fingerboard or rather the top of the frets (keeping in mind the 1.2mm fret height). From what I observe, the string height can be adjusted from the tailstock (somewhat) but I suspect overall string parallelity (jeepers new word?) is dependant on the height at which the string exits the headstock nut. The base of the nut I bought is on an angle but that can be adjusted (I bought 2, just in case-they have 3 more in stock and I told them to hold on to them). Is there any way to determine the "best" height of the exit groove without stringing up the instrument?
The more I fiddle with this thing, the more I appreciate the finesse in construction...it's a wonder to behold...
Thanks in advance....I'll work on the pictures....
Still Confused....
Confused
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri May 16, 2008 5:39 pm

Polly might have to measure the distance from the fretboard surface to the bottom of the slots for you; I don't have a Pantera, sadly, or I would do it for you!! Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down