The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Modern x390 Construction

3 posters

Go down

The Modern x390 Construction Empty The Modern x390 Construction

Post by ar8284 Fri May 29, 2015 8:50 pm

Hello Westone enthusiasts

If the x390 was being made today, what upgrades if any, would you like to have seen? Perhaps a genuine Floyd Rose but recessed? Perhaps a bit more of a cavity on the shoulders of the body for easier access to the 24th fret, like you see on ESP Horizons?

Regarding the construction of the x390 I did a number of searches on as many sites that popped up when using keywords "x390 neck width", "nut width", "headstock angle", and "neck join" for the construction of the x390, and anything else related to it. I am looking for some confirmation from enthusiasts.

Although I didn't find everything regarding the x390 as such I found the following in forums:
The Pantera X300 has a nut length 1 11/16", width 3/16", height 5/16". I believe I can assume the x390 is the same in dimensions. True?
It has a 350mm (rounded up to 14") fretboard ebony radius, so consistent and not compounded.
It has a 'set-neck' join and not a 'neck-through' join. On an article it states a bayonet join.

What I cannot find are the following:
If the set-neck join has a short or long tenon?
The width of the neck at the 12th and 24th frets?
Width of the neck profile along the neck, and the shape, is it close to rounded C, or a strat D (probably not), etc ... ?
The headstock angle??
The body shape and top profile is exactly the same dimensions as the x300?
The curvature profile of the back is the same as the top or less curved?

I would love some assistance or ideas to work out this information. It is possible that from strategic pictures I could outline the curvatures ... possibly.

Last edited by ar8284 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:34 am; edited 3 times in total
ar8284
ar8284
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2013-12-15

Back to top Go down

The Modern x390 Construction Empty Re: The Modern x390 Construction

Post by gittarasaurus Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 pm

are you going to try to make a replica?
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ar8284 Sat May 30, 2015 12:01 am

Yes. In construction and shape. I'd probably do some modern modifications to the construction to strengthen the neck and headstock.

Last edited by ar8284 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
ar8284
ar8284
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by ar8284 Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:52 am

It would be awesome to get some guidance from an x390 owner.
ar8284
ar8284
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by ar8284 Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:56 am

Trying a different approach Thinking   Idea

If the x390 was being made today, what upgrades or changes, if any, would you like to see on it? For example, perhaps a genuine Floyd Rose. Perhaps a recessed FR? Perhaps a bit more of a cavity on the shoulders of the body for easier access to the 24th fret, like you see on ESP Horizons? I guess modernising the specs.
ar8284
ar8284
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 am

Well.... the neck on my Genesis II is possibly the best neck I've played on; it's smooth, has something of a compound radius but is very, very fast. If the X390 is even remotely close to the Gen, then you're on a winner. 

Possible improvements; yeah, a properly recessed floating bridge with a locking nut would be nice.... but other than that, I can't see much that needs improvement, eh!!

And I've never, even seen one in tbe flesh!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by ar8284 Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:44 am

Ah there's life in this thread ... well a slight pulse Very Happy

Thanks Corsair. I decided that I would not repaint the x300 I have and instead polish it up as best as I can, including the parts, to focus on a personal build that resembles the x390. I like the body shape and the convex back is taking my interest.

Yes I would likely do a recessed FR.

I was too young when I played the x390 for a half hour in a music store. Can't remember much about except for the heel access feeling good but looking strange!
ar8284
ar8284
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:06 am

if the X390 was being made today, i'd bet it would sell for at least twice the original selling price.
The Modern x390 Construction Ry%3D400
for me, one of the nicest features is the curved back and front of the body which makes it so comfortable to play. that, and the well rounded edges makes the guitar feel so natural when in playing position. i also like the ebony fretboard.

my X390 has a recessed Kahler trem on it. i have found that an authentic Floyd Rose isn't really any different or better, than a well made licensed copy, only just two or three times as expensive.

for upgrades, not much to improve on these. i think this is a highly evolved guitar design, using some of the very best design details on any guitar model.

the only changes to be made would be more personal preference, rather than improvement on the original.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:16 pm

here are some details i just measured…

neck width; nut - 43mm, 12th fret - 53mm, 24th fret - 57.65mm
neck thickness at 12th fret - 24mm
headstock angle ~12 degrees
string space @ bridge - 50.5mm

i don't have anything to measure fretboard radius…
it is a consistent radius, not compounded
it has jumbo-sized frets
i don't have a scale to give you a weight, Don\'t Know  .

i don't believe the front and back of the body have the identical radius. that is part of the artistic beauty of this design.
at the neck joint, the back is arched and carved smooth up to the neck. the body is quite thin in this area. it seems to be thicker in the area through the bridge down to the lower strap button, which makes the body and the neck alignment flat, rather than angled.
along with the arch of the front of the body, it also tapers slightly thinner toward the outer edges at the widest parts. it gives you a smoother feel than the typical forearm cut, and it keeps the guitar to a comfortable weight.

The Modern x390 Construction Ry%3D400
everywhere that one would touch the guitar is just as smooth as silk. it almost feels like the guitar hugs you when you play it.Embarassed
once you pick it up, it is hard to put down. great feeling guitar, easy to play for long periods of time.
there are many good reasons that these guitars are sought after.

Last edited by gittarasaurus on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : detail)
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by ar8284 Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:31 am

That's a fantastic insight into the guitar ... "as smooth as silk" ... great.

The fretboard radius is a personal preference anyway and it can be to personal liking but I think I read somewhere on another forum that an owner believes it to be closer to 14" than 12".

Weight is not an issue, the timber selected will decide that but it is interesting. I assume the weight of the x390 is lesser than that of an x300 due to the carved back, but how noticeable ... I wouldn't know.

Today's shredders have a 'flat' area on the cutaway profile to encourage easier access. How do you find the 24th fret access?

The top view and length/width of the x300 and x390 look to be identical. If the arch/curvature of the top of the body is exactly like that of the x300 I can profile the top of the x300 at least.

Cheers for that.
ar8284
ar8284
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by ar8284 Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:48 am

I think the only remaining info I require and would be very grateful to obtain for a build project are:

The length from the back of the body to the 20th fret on an x390?

Confirmation that the top carve of an x390 is identical to the top carve of an x300.

What the body thickness is along the centreline of the body at these points of interest: the centre, the back end, and the neck end just before the carve of the heel begins.
ar8284
ar8284
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down