The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please

5 posters

Go down

rainbow - Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please Empty Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please

Post by Meadows Sat May 09, 2015 2:48 am

Hey Guys, got a feeling these might be like hen's teeth but having just acquired an old 1981 Rainbow I it is apparent the bridge and tail piece have been replaced at some stage. The new bridge bobbins protrude to the point of annoyance when playing and the tail piece has (how can I put this nicely) been adapted to kind of fit Mad 

What would be great in the first instance is a decent close up image of the bridge and tail piece. If you are also a proud owner and have the time, then some dimensions would be a real bonus too.

Many thanks as always Smile

One last thing, if you are using a non original hard case, were you able to buy a generic 335 style case that does the job or was it a special order, made to measure?

Here is what is there at the moment

https://s1016.photobucket.com/user/Meadows61/library/Westone%20Rainbow%20bridge%20and%20tail%20piece?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Meadows on Sat May 09, 2015 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : memory failure)
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2013-01-19

Back to top Go down

rainbow - Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please Empty Re: Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat May 09, 2015 6:46 am

While I've got my prestige in bits I guess I can send you the bridge and tailpiece so you can take all the measurements you need, do you plan on having the bits made?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

rainbow - Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please Empty Re: Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please

Post by Meadows Sat May 09, 2015 7:57 am

Hey Pete that is very kind of you, do you know if they are compatible then?

Maybe nievely I was hoping a good close up shot of the original would help my search on the net for a functional replacement. I hadn't considered having them made at this stage but with that seed planted I do know a man who might be able to.

I will get back to you thanks if I need to borrow them for a day, cheers Bud Smile
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat May 09, 2015 9:13 am

Oh mercy me, what a stupid post design on that bridge!
That top flat washer "feature" has no business being on there, it serves no purpose other than to stop the assembly from coming off during string change. You can do the same thing with a piece of masking tape!

It also works against the bottom adjuster. No wonder everything is sticking up too high.
Seems to me if you replace the bolt with a straight one you should be OK. Or if you have access to a suitable grinder just remove the bloody thing and adjust the length.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat May 09, 2015 10:15 am

I think they're compatible, but only because they look the same, maybe different sizes...best wait till someone who actually knows what they're talking about to come along eh..

ignore me...
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Sat May 09, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks Barry, I know what you mean about the washer feature, a complete pain.

Just been to see a tool maker that said the same as you, either replace the bolts or grind the top off these. Given that one of them has been cross threaded it will be the first option I think.

Just need to find a suitable tail piece replacement which I will try and source on Monday, feeling optimistic given in the first instance I'm not looking for an original replacement, just one that gets the guitar up and running.
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Sat May 09, 2015 10:19 am

No worries Pete and many thanks, I think we are making tracks Smile
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat May 09, 2015 10:26 am

what's the post spacing?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 am

Post spacing centre to centre of post is 72 mm. Outside of post to post is 82mm
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Wed May 20, 2015 10:08 am

here is my Rainbow, ser#2064502
i'll take more pics and measurements if you still need details
rainbow - Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please Ry%3D400
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalyst Wed May 20, 2015 10:24 am

Drool!
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Wed May 20, 2015 11:39 am

Many thanks for the image, if you get a chance and can take a close up of the tail piece and bridge that would be most appreciated. Scanned the net but can not as yet find a close image for reference.

After this weekends gigs I am going to strip her down and order in a tune o'matic style bridge and new tail piece if I can get one narrow enough with suitable pins.

Still can't believe the build quality and sound of the pickups. The larger body on the strap is still taking some getting used to live but at least now my first and second guitars for gigging are both Westone's, feels good and they are getting alot of very positive remarks Smile
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Wed May 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Schaller do a tailpiece that will fit, don't think theres any others out there to be honest, Westbone has a link but I can't find it just now.

Here's a thread of his
http://forum.westoneguitars.net/t5061-swiftlock-tailpiece?highlight=tailpiece
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Wed May 20, 2015 12:48 pm

rainbow - Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please Ry%3D400rainbow - Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please Ry%3D400rainbow - Rainbow I tail piece and bridge image please Ry%3D400
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Wed May 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Thank you kindly for those close ups, they give me an idea now what I'm missing Mad, and also Pete for that great link. I will have a look at the Schaller tail piece stock and see what is available.

Thank you Gents Smile

(Please excuse me gittarasaurus but I don't know you Christian name)
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun May 31, 2015 5:51 pm

Just stumbled upon this Si,  courtesy of westboner
http://guitar-parts.biz/hp14658/STM-CH-12080200.htm?ITServ=C362c19bdX148407058feX3fb2

Smile
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:22 am

Cheers Pete, many thanks, will check it out.
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down