The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imperial or Metric

3 posters

Go down

Imperial or Metric Empty Imperial or Metric

Post by PaulHCantillon Thu May 07, 2015 8:56 am

First of all, Hello - this is my first time on the forum - looks like a useful and friendly place so far.

I have a Westone Thunder IIa (S/N: 1112247).  It has been sat untouched for decades after the active electrics went, it lost a bridge saddle and finally had it's plastic pickup holder smashed after something heavy fell on it!

Yesterday I opened the case and it dawned on me I pretty much learned to play guitar on it many years ago and for nothing other than sentimental reasons want to start playing it again.

So, finally this brings me to the questions - as I am about to buy a replacement bridge, pickups & electrics, 

1. Are the screw threads for posts etc imperial or metric?
  2. Is there a "one stop" simple solution for buying parts (I am guessing not and thinking of using AxesRUs) ?
  3. Are there any detailed specs anywhere for measurements etc

I have had a look around the scans & googled for an hour or so - but I am hoping someone here has completed a similar task?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
PaulHCantillon
PaulHCantillon

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-05-07

Back to top Go down

Imperial or Metric Empty Re: Imperial or Metric

Post by corsair Thu May 07, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi there, Paul...

1. Metric
2. Yes, for screws and the like. No, for Westone specific    kit.
3. Probably not, but if you want measurements, one of the blokes would most likely oblige, eh!

What happened to the active circuit?
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulHCantillon Fri May 08, 2015 4:49 am

Thanks, Corsair.

I assumed Metric - being Japanese and all, but I thought I would double check.

I have no idea what happened to the circuit - it stopped working once & I had it fixed by a local Electronics man.  It then stopped working again some years later (before the internet) and the bloke had lost the wiring diagram!

So I just gave up.  Once I get into it, I will of course check the wires & simple stuff before just replacing it - not sure what with yet, so I am open to suggestions.  Something with a coil tap  - I remember being blown away that a guitar could have such a thing.  Ahhh - the Naivety of youth Laughing
PaulHCantillon
PaulHCantillon

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri May 08, 2015 5:04 am

I'm sure that there are replacement pre-amp PCBs available now that will do the job that the original no longer does, eh?! Damian will know.... :-)

I have a pre amp on my Matsumoku made Vantage VA900 which I've had since new and do you know, I never, ever used that loud switch onstage in 25 years of gigging; I always used an overdrive or EQ boost stompbox. YMMV, as always!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri May 08, 2015 2:27 pm

corsair wrote:...I never, ever used that loud switch...
Pity. It's great at scaring the crap out of my cats and should work similarly on critters bent on raiding your garbage bin, or annoying little children on tricycles.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: