The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spectrum GT Bass - phase reverse

4 posters

Go down

Spectrum GT Bass - phase reverse Empty Spectrum GT Bass - phase reverse

Post by Steve777 Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:09 am

Warrn asked the question what does phase reverse do? I was going to write something technical and bore the crap out of everybody but here is a link to a web page that explains this in laymans terms.

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/phase.html

Looking at the catalogues, the GT has a Master Volume knob nearest the bridge pickup that doubles as Push Pull switch for phase reverse. The other two knobs are tone controls. You will hear a drop in Volume when the PU selector switch is in mid position ( both PU's on ) and phase switch is active. I' m not sure whether the Phase reverse on a GT works on a each individual PU by reversing each coil?

If the neck PU is quieter than the bridge PU, either raise the neck PU, if possible closer to the strings, or if the neck PU is at its optimum level, lower the bridge PU to compensate and equalise the output. Remember though, the closer you bring the PU's to the strings, the more string pull the magnets exert thus dampening sustain.

Although not a bass player, I would equalise the PU output and increase the sustain and use the Vol control on my amp.

This link looked interesting

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/46260_fender-bass-pickup-height.htm
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Spectrum GT Bass - phase reverse Empty Re: Spectrum GT Bass - phase reverse

Post by Warrn Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:33 am

I think my bridge pickup needs rewrapped or something, as it is the quiet one. The neck pickup works fine. However, neither pickup is anywhere near the strings. If there's foam or springs or something that's supposed to be holding them higher up in the pickup cavities, they aren't working anymore. Phase reverse on the GT barely does anything. Now, I have the same electronics in my Dimension bass, and phase reverse on that is ridiculous... like I don't even need a stomp box for distortion kind of crazy. And with phase reverse activated the pickups are as sensitive to light string scraping or flubbed notes as active instruments are. Running the phase reversed Dimension through distortion is absolutely nuts.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 am

I had the same problem with my Genesis II single coils. Neither had any foam to speak of underneath. The Solution ..... I bought a small off cut of foam from a furniture restorer. I'm sure an upholstery hobby shop would have the same.

I'm a bit stumped by the phase problem. Certainly getting the PU heights at their optimum level is a good starting point. You could run a multimeter across each of the pick up wires to measure the Ohms and compare that to the Dimension. Might show if you have a break somewhere in the windings or if all of the coils are working.
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:38 pm

I have zero experience with that sort of thing. Considering the bass saw so much use before I got it, it wouldn't surprise me if the pickup needed some help though. They are definitely far away from the strings compared to any of my other basses (I have 12 total including non-Westones), and they're about twice as far away as the ones on the Dimension.

Is it weird that the Spectrum GT was my choice for my first gig despite all that? Haha.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Hey Bro, head on down to the sponge shop, buy an off cut, cut it to shape with a pair of scissors, take the pickup out and drop the sponge in and replace the pickup. Set the height and job done !

It makes all the difference. If the pickups are that far away in comparison to your Dimension, I'm not surprised that you cant hear the phase difference.

All for piece of foam sponge! let us know how you get on
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:09 pm

The phase reverse on my Spectrum GT is a bit wussy, too - no, let's be honest... it's a waste of time and mine is a mint example with everything in lovely working order, so i don't quite know what to make of this! The tone produced with phase reverse on is not a very usable one, IMO, and I've never used it yet, either onstage or in the studio... the Dim 4 reverse sounds pretty cool, though!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 pm

I actually rather like the phase reverse on both basses, even if the Spectrum's phase reverse is hardly audible. On the DimIV it's one of the most insane passive-produced tones I've ever heard, if not the most insane. I should really write a song for it, just to put it to good use. My Spectrum has seen stage time, now I need to get the other four up there!

And no, I haven't stuffed any sponges in there yet.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by thunduak-1 Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:46 am

[quote="corsair"]The phase reverse on my Spectrum GT is a bit wussy, too - no, let's be honest... it's a waste of timequote]

I also think the dual-tone (series/parallel) switch is a complete waste of time on the Thunder basses. There's a very subtle change, but nothing compared to using a decent suite of pedals!

Anyhow - I flogged my Thunder 1a, as it was just gathering dust. alas my current Rickenbacker fetish is rather expensive! Rolling Eyes

I've still got my gold-hardware-equipped spectum ST bass thogh Cool

Guy
thunduak-1
thunduak-1
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:50 pm

Hiya, Guy - long time, no hear?! Wink
corsair