The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the gear trail... Running down a local Spectrum DX

3 posters

Go down

spectrum - On the gear trail... Running down a local Spectrum DX Empty On the gear trail... Running down a local Spectrum DX

Post by anaerobe Wed May 27, 2009 11:33 am

I put out an want ad in a local Kijiji buy and sell for "Westones Collecting Dust" - and just a few hours ago, got a call from a student who wants to sell his DX. cyclops

Its white (x140 SW) with serial # 5101824, Westone machines, MIJ backplate (Mats), and a locking nut set-up and Bendmaster (I think...), original pickups, coil tap tone control. Like my x-70, the truss adjust is at the neck pickup location.

Some stuff is missing (screw in pickup selector knob and trem bar, one of the springs in the bridge tuning apparatus is a replacement, the backplate is new and doesn't have access to the strings), but it looks to be in decent shape.

Going to see it shortly. What's a fair price if the neck's straight?

- Ian

P.S. As I'm kinda new to Westones, I looked around and here's what I came up with on the Spectrum DX - any comments on the accuracy of this?:

Edit: The one I'm looking at has plastic knobs, not brass as is stated below.

Bolt neck double cutaway with maple body, maple neck, chrome hardware, graphite nut, Bendmaster FT trem bridge with locking nut, and and dual humbuckers with coil tap toggle switch with 3-way selector and pull-switch knobs for coil tap and phase reverse, brass knobs (edit - not on the one I'm looking at??).

X140BK (H-H) (black)

X140SW (H-H) (snow white)

X140RD (H-H) (red)

The Spectrum DX was introduced in 1985 with the new line of Electra Phoenix-based models renamed Westone Spectrum. Unlike the Phoenix models which came in a bewildering variety with mysterious code numbers, the Spectrum models were clearly divided into recognizable price and feature ranges: ST (standard) was the budget line, DX (deluxe) was a slightly higher priced line which offered upgraded hardware but was still lower in price than the LX (pro) series which was a continuation of the classic X189 (H-S-H). The DX gave an alternative for those who wanted premium quality at the lowest price possible.

The DX succeeds at all that and continues to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck models, going for low prices yet offering a great variety of tonal range and the great neck and pickups the Phoenix and Spectrum were known for. The polyurethane finish of these models is nearly indestructible, so they tend to stay in good shape.

X140 is one of the few model numbers to be used by two different models- confusingly the number returned to use in 1985 after the Electra Phoenix had been renamed the Westone Spectrum. The Spectrum DX was numbered X140, but instead of being an updated (S-S-S), the DX was really an (H-H) like the X135 with the upgraded hardware of an X189.

anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

spectrum - On the gear trail... Running down a local Spectrum DX Empty Re: On the gear trail... Running down a local Spectrum DX

Post by anaerobe Thu May 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey - as of today I'm a Spectrum owner (!), I got the '85 DX for a very reasonable price as it was missing a couple of parts (pup selector knob and the trem bar)... details to follow in members' Westones. I'm not much of an expert on these guitars but I really like this one, its quite low miles, I think it was a hand-me-down from the seller's uncle and was collecting dust for about 5 years. Anyway, its got a really nice radius on the neck, the tension on the bridge is good, a locking nut, nice bridge with fine tuning (Bendmaster I think although I can't find the name anywhere) and the coil tap. Snow white with black painted maple neck, red insignia, etc.. very exciting!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

spectrum - On the gear trail... Running down a local Spectrum DX Empty Re: On the gear trail... Running down a local Spectrum DX

Post by Barry Thu May 28, 2009 10:42 pm

Ian! Slow down my son, you'll blow yer G string!
You're a regular whirl-wind these days. bounce Glad to hear your kijiji ad sparked such a find!

There's been a guy running an ad in southern Ontario for vintage Westones and 80's guitars for some time now. I wonder if he's found any. I haven't seen any on Kijiji since I got the Thunder and the Spectrum S Laughing.

Lookin' forward to seeing it.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri May 29, 2009 11:05 am

Barry,

LOL Yeah, my apologies, I'm wound up a bit.

But who would'nt be enthusiastic about this 'ol DX and her 25-year faded finish, and purple-bloody fretboard!!!

Soooooooo, <drum role please> here she is:

http://forum.westoneguitars.net/members-westones-f6/my-second-westone-white-85-spectrum-dx-t541.htm#4127

Taking suggestions for appropriate names. Lessee, I've already got "The Mule", "The Yam", and the x-70 (also unnamed).

Ian
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by logicaljohn Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:12 am

Let em know if you hear about any RAinbows, would ya >?
logicaljohn
logicaljohn
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-06-30

http://www.myspace.com/cosmiclobster

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:13 pm

OK - I did find a 1992 MIJ Aria acoustic... but I've got too many pokers in the fire, so I left it.

Ian
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down