The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Dynasty Tremolo Post.

5 posters

Go down

Another Dynasty Tremolo Post. Empty Another Dynasty Tremolo Post.

Post by Shane P Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:01 pm

RAD BROS OF THE FUTURE!

I am humbled by the activity of this righteous forum. I have F I N A L L Y found a Dynasty (white with red pinstripe) And am awaiting the arrival of it soon. Hopefully it makes the journey from Minnesota alright and in one piece.

She's pretty beat up but beggars can't be choosers. Anyways, lets get to the meat of this. The Tremolo is completely toast. I'm looking to get a new on brand new, but I've read a couple different ones fit and some didn't work out as others did. I backlogged some posts and found as much as I could and it seems a few of you metal warriors had had different opinions on them. 

This is my first post, and my second dance with any Internet forums... so I hope I'm not crossing any rules or anything. I got dumped on in the Kramer forums for asking a question so I will never be going back there Sad. So sad considering I do have a collection.

Anyways, I would LOVE to hear any opinions and experiences with the replacement tremolo's ANYONE has had with a Dynasty or Dimension, the more knowledge I have the better it'll be for everyone, I wanna treat this metal master with the respect it deserves and restore it to the best of my abilities. My heart is pure and my shredding hand is fast. 

OH AND The druid I bought this beast from doesn't have the nut locks for it. Where the blood would someone go about trying to locate those? Or does anyone have some solid replacement ideas.

Sorry for the story and the bummer first post. I'm in need of resurrection help.

Shred hard.
Shane P
Shane P
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-12-12

Back to top Go down

Another Dynasty Tremolo Post. Empty Re: Another Dynasty Tremolo Post.

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Hey Shane. I have the stringlock plates and bolts, I'll PM you.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Get a Gotoh floyd, works wonderful, intonates well, just a rock solid system for yanking and bending. 

Click HERE to read about it, see what I did.

You can buy them here... Click HERE!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane P Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:25 am

Ah man, thanks for the info! I read your post on your quest for a tremolo. Extremely helpful guys!

Thanks for helping me out! I'm wondering though, was the Gotoh trem you choose the only you found that could fit? There's one they recommend on the Westone Front Page for replacement trems for the Dimension and Dynasty. is it the wrong choice?

Sorry for the questions, I just really don't wanna mistep here, obviously I am going to go with the one you choose because it's a perfect match, I guess I'm just curious. 

once again, thanks for all the help guys!
Shane P
Shane P
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:06 pm

Shane P wrote:...There's one they recommend on the Westone Front Page for replacement trems for the Dimension and Dynasty...
Hi Shane, can you be more specific as to what you're referring to? Not sure what "Westone Front Page" is.

www.westoneguitars.net is our sister web site, which I maintain. If there's something in error I'd like to know about it. If you're referring to some other site then it isn't our content.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane P Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:51 pm

OH YEAH, sorry abotu that. Geez I'm doign a lot of apologizing (I'm Canadian)

Thisi s the page I was reffering to, didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing it or anything, I just want to learn as much as I can about the Bridges and Dynasty in general. The one on here looks to be my second option.

I cannot post a link for 7 days, so I'll do my best to describe it. It's under :
It's under Fix Me/ Hardware repairs ? and then Bendmaster FT replacements. It's the model linked into GuitarFetish website. Looks like a GREAT replacement.

I hope that helps! 

If anyone who reads this has bought and fitted that on onto your shred-beast, I'd love to hear how it works for you!

Thanks!
Shane P
Shane P
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Shane P wrote:Geez I'm doign a lot of apologizing (I'm Canadian)...
Tell me about it! lol! Canada

Hey, no worries.
Yep that's ours, and according to rick it does the trick too. Your choice.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:52 am

The Gotoh is a higher quality unit, purposely designed with differences which Gotoh feels are improvements (I agree with them).  The other trem you'd read about on the Westone site will be inferior to the Gotoh, being a lower cost unit mostly just copying the floyd.   It is cheaper, however, and you'll only want the Gotoh if you really need a superior trem.  People rave about Gotoh's, I can see why after receiving mine.  Many prefer them over an OFR.  I have both, and the Gotoh just feels better, it's hard to explain.  Machined very precisely.   Very solid and smooth!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane P Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:43 am

THat's awesome, Chad!

I'll definately be picking that one up. Whenever the Dynasty gets in, I do however want to try an original floyd I have left over from a Kramer that is basically for parts. I doubt it'll fit but if it works, I'll be sure to post pictures and such.

THanks again for the feedback guys, I really really appreciate it! I just hope I don't jinx the delivery and some Fed EX employee had a bad day and takes it out on my Dynasty.
Shane P
Shane P
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:59 am

You may need different posts, I did.  The knife edge on the new trem won't word right with the original posts.  No biggie, though, just screw out the old one, buy the same diameter posts on Ebay and screw them in.  

I *think* this is what I bought for my Dynasty, I don't remember, check the diameter and see if it will work.  CLICK HERE!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:10 am

Chad, I'm going to add the Gotoh version to the web site post. Shoulda' dun it sooner.
Nice to have a choice with these things.
Cheers.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:12 am

Thumb Up Happy Birthday 

Never get to use that birthday icon, thought I'd try it out.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane P Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:49 pm

UPDATE.

the dynasty has arrived and it is righteous. So here's where i am at with this shredder...

bendmaster : fubar.
Nutlocks : on their way (thanks sgt vimes!!)
Guitar : intact
electronics : definately working.

now back to the meat and potatoes.

the trem. Ive tried two floyds i have laying around, a floyd 2 which had a block tha was FAR too short but it did fit perfectly! Which bums me right out...
im still torn with which one to get... By all acoubts, the gotoh sounds superior, but i lack the experience to really get it to fit perfectly and im doing my homework to find a shop that will treat this beast with the respect it deserves...

this comes off as lazy, which is not my intention but the other bridge, on the "bendmaster ft replacement bridge" , did that just fit right on the original dynasty posts? 

I would kill to have the gear experience that you guys have with stuff, i wont be able to forgive myself if i blow a post replacement and i turn the dynasty into firewood...

i hope y'all can see where im coming from... Its avery inexperienced angle, for sure... By my heart is pure and i must ressurect this conquerer...

is rick still in the forums, Barry? Id love to know how he went about installing that bridge.

i reread your post chad, about your replcement bridge. Thanks for making it VERY detailed, and in depth. Im curious, are the 85 and 86 dynasty's THAT much different? are unicorns real?!? 

I hope im not getting to annyoing, i just lack the confidence to mess with such an axe. Especially since the white and red pinstripes are so rare to see on ebay...

always & forever : Satan.
Shane P
Shane P
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Shane P wrote:... is rick still in the forums, Barry? Id love to know how he went about installing that bridge.
We haven't heard from him in a long while, but you can read his original thread and discussion HERE.
At least 2 members have verified that it is a straight drop in replacement.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane P Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:32 am

This is awesome! THANKS BARRY!

I think I have no choice but to try this bridge. As rad as the gotoh sounds, I lack the experience to really make it as stable as Chad did. My regular shop didn't seem to have the experience with Floyd's as they primarily deal with Fenders and hardtails in general.

Once again, I really appreciate the help on this. I'll post some after images when I get the monster together and shreddable. 

Thanks again and happy holidays!
Shane P
Shane P
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:35 am

With EITHER trem, you'll need to route/shave a little bit for your Dynasty.  Read all of this below!

IMPORTANT:  Stock Westone tremolo block length will require you to make a small mod, on either the Gotoh or the Guitar Fetish system (for a Dyanasty or Dim IV, probably original design Spectrum's, too).  

BARRY:  The Guitar Fetish trem may NOT work smoothly with all Westies, or some other brands.  Here's a quote from the Guitar Fetish website, what they said in their item description...

"I've put these on a freakin' stadium full of Ibanez RG and Jackson/Charvel guitars- dead easy- on some I need to trim the top route just a hair- but like 1-2mm that's it-".   Note how he says that some will need routed?  Keep reading...

The stock sustain blocks on these aftermarket trem systems won't be long enough to smoothly operate without the springs dragging in the cavity.  This is what I found on my Dynasty, and why I had to shave off a little bit. 

Here's from my post last year...
"What's odd is that the stock Westone sustain block is 45mm whereas the largest commercially available sustain block is only 42mm.  Obviously this leaves a deficit.  I'm going through the same thing with my amazing Dynasty.  You can have custom sustain blocks milled for you but it'll cost you!  I'd go with a 42mm block and route the back."

So for proper fit, you'll need to route/shave the back.   Or the top.  By just a few mm's.  Just like the Guitar Fetish website said.  It will "drop in" without doing the route/shave, but the springs will probably drag in the models listed above.  

Here's what you need to do for...

Step 1.  
Buy another trem system.  I recommend the Gotoh because it's just in a different league from the Guitar Fetish system. 
Step 2.
Buy Jackson posts as listed on Ebay CLICK HERE (if you want completely smooth operation, so just do it and be happy).
Step 3.
Unscrew your stock posts, screw in the Jackson posts.
Step 4. 
Shave the under side of the trem cavity slightly, allowing open space for the springs to travel.  I just used a wood file, very easy.  Othewise the springs will rub on some models of Westone.  See what I did here...

See how the stings hit?  This is because of the 42mm sustain block. 

Another Dynasty Tremolo Post. DSCN3034_zps53b868a6

So SHAVE it down a tiny bit, like this...

Another Dynasty Tremolo Post. DSCN3041_zpsc8922350
Step 5.
Install the trem system.
Step 6. 
Intonate the guitar.
Step 7.
You're in Heaven.  Get it?  Rhymes with Seven?  Ah, nevermind... 

Do that and you're gold.  You can even repaint the shaved part if it bothers you.

Last edited by The Chad on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:36 am

Shane P... if you buy the other trem, you'll still have the same problem.  Read my post above.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 am

And I must say, the Gotoh on the Dynasty is simply the best tremolo system that I've ever used.  Smooth as silk.  I also have guitars with Kahlers and original Floyds, and by comparison, this Gotoh is somehow a cut above.  It is rock solid and smooth, hard to describe, you just need to experience it.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks Chad.
No argument, Gotoh is always the better choice if money is not a concern. They were/are the preferred OEM choice for most quality MIJ builders, then, and now.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:06 am

Just letting us know, that's all.  Either way you go, whichever of the two trems, you'll probably need to shave a little.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Shane P wrote:UPDATE.
 Im curious, are the 85 and 86 dynasty's THAT much different? 
Only in the bridge setup; Bendmaster FT .v. Bendmaster Deluxe.

How badly damaged is the original bridge? Is it not repairable?
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane P Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:03 pm

OH MAN! Sorry about the no response on the quesiton. I guess I missed the email alert.

Here's the update, Everything worked perfectly. I had to shave quite a bit out of the Dynasty trem cavity.  I will upload some pictures shortly. The Speedloader trem works amazingly well and is very responsive. I'm just struggling to intonate the bastard. I've intonated floyds before but this one just sits off by hair in some points...

I was actually going to bring it in to my local tech anyways to make sure all the electronics are working tip top and all that and I'll get them to go over the bridge to intonate it correctly. Perhaps I just don't have the experience yet.

But man, I love that thing. It's easily my best sounding axe and the comfort level is off the charts.

Oh and back to the bendmaster, it's pretty messed up. 2 broken claws but everything else seems legit. No trem arm though... and it has some rust.

Here's the picture of the bridge close up from the original Ebay listing :

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODY4WDE2MDA=/z/ivkAAOSw7ThUgf-i/$_57.JPG
Shane P
Shane P
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Glad it worked out in the end.  If you had to shave a lot off, your sustain block is too short.  Intonation is great with the Gotoh. 

Take some pics and show us how it's looking!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane P Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:19 pm

CHAD! It's comin bro, I'm gonna take another pass at reintonating the floyd, or whatever it is... My friend just joined the forums and he was the guy asking about the Gotoh's. I believe he ordered it so you're gonna see direct comparisons here when he gets his installed. His Dimension is in much better condition than my dynasty though, and sounds beefier as well.

Tinkering with the dynasty gave me some MAJOR much needed experience with guitars and trems in general. I really learned a ton doing this stuff and I really wanna thank you guys for helping out. AND A BIG THANKS to Sgt Vimes for getting me some Locking plates for my lockmount.

Pictures coming probably by the weekend.
Shane P
Shane P
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:21 pm

We're excited to see how this all works!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:08 pm

The learning never stops, thanks to all the guys with their huge collective knowledge,  eternal thanks all round
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Hey, where's those pics?!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane P Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:19 am

OH MAN!!! Sorry, was re arranging the man cave and music room, I sent it into Member's Westones to get away from this growing thread!

http://forum.westoneguitars.net/t5427-dynasty-collection#49706

Thanks for reminding me!
Shane P
Shane P
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down