The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locking machine heads for a Cutlas Classic ??

4 posters

Go down

Locking machine heads for a Cutlas Classic ?? Empty Locking machine heads for a Cutlas Classic ??

Post by Meadows Mon May 26, 2014 3:20 am

I would like to replace the machine heads on my Cutlass Classic. Despite some ongoing maintenance the G and now the D are dropping pitch on a regular basis.

I have decided to go for a locking design and as my main gigging guitar I am happy to spend a little extra to get the right quality. (the originals will be kept in a safe place)

Looking on the Gotoh site they mention gear ratio and weight, so my question is what information do I need to give in order to get the best fit replacements for what is already there, which is the better ratio to go for?. Would prefer not to have to drill extra holes if possible just from an aesthetic perspective but if needs must.

Many thanks guys

Link: https://s1016.photobucket.com/user/Meadows61/library/cutlass%20machine%20heads?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Meadows on Mon May 26, 2014 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link)
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2013-01-19

Back to top Go down

Locking machine heads for a Cutlas Classic ?? Empty Re: Locking machine heads for a Cutlas Classic ??

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon May 26, 2014 4:01 am

I'm no expert on these Si, but I think you'll have difficulty finding machines with the screw hole at 90 degrees to the shaft, I've looked hard in the past to find a set like these with no joy, I think you'll have to redrill for the screws.
good luck mate.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Locking machine heads for a Cutlas Classic ?? Empty Re: Locking machine heads for a Cutlas Classic ??

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon May 26, 2014 4:03 am

Umm....evidently I didn't look hard enough  Embarassed 
Gotoh SG360...not locking machines...but 90 degree screw holes..
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Mon May 26, 2014 4:07 am

Morning Pete, hope your keeping well buddy.

Thanks for the reply, I think given this one will be a keeper for life I can live with a few extra holes, it will be part of it's history, and if someone is standing close enough to see the holes from behind then they sure ain't going to miss the bald spot on top  Very Happy
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Mon May 26, 2014 4:10 am

Thanks, will check them out but if I can I would prefer locking this time around
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon May 26, 2014 4:12 am

Kluson does 90° tags, and these....

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp292359/M6-Mini-Toplocking.htm

I bought a set of Schecter lockers for my Raider and they work well but they have 45° tags....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon May 26, 2014 4:19 am

hmm...seems there are loads of 90° sets out there..

Hipshot also have a good name

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hipshot-ENCLOSED-GEAR-Grip-Lock-tuning-machines-3x3-BLACK-/290971986096?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43bf4828b0

I'm not sure on gear ratios, but I think the most important measurement you'll need is the shaft dia.  most probably 10mm
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Mon May 26, 2014 4:22 am

Thanks guys

Just out of interest how important is the gearing ratio they are listing?
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon May 26, 2014 4:23 am

I'd guess for locking tuners, not very important at all, seeing as how you aren't going to be winding the peg much at all.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Mon May 26, 2014 4:35 am

Ok, that makes sense, thanks, will get on the phone tomorrow and see what is available. Those Kluson's look really well made. Thanks again for the help guys
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Mon May 26, 2014 5:38 am

Found these on the bay which look like they should fit the bill

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gotoh-301-Magnum-Locking-3-Aside-Machineheads-/251444450764?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a8b41d5cc

and they have a similar look and vibe to the originals  Smile
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon May 26, 2014 6:20 am

Have you tried simply tightening up the screws on the buttons?  It's one of the first things I do to guitars I intend  to keep,  I keep them all very tight and more often than not that stops any tuning instability,  just make sure you have the right sized screwdriver as it's far too easy to slip and rough up the screw head.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadows Mon May 26, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks Pete

There was a small amount of adjustment in the screws so have tightened them up quite firmly and will see how it holds through the week, and if it saves getting a new sett right now...total bonus  Smile
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon May 26, 2014 8:29 am

That little screw in the tuner button should only really act on the crush washer between the button and the turret thereby merely firming up how the button feels but yeah, sometimes I've noticed it seems to tighten everthing up, eh!

Damian? You wanna field this one?
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon May 26, 2014 11:37 am

Yep, two points to keep snug on machine heads: the hex nut (vertical pressure) and the button screw (horizontal pressure). Note, "snug" not overly tight.

A very easy maintenance item and most often overlooked. Usually corrects all but the very worst of conditions.

And yes, you can get all anal about it, but gear ratio on a locking tuner is largely irrelevant since you are only making a maximum of about a 180º turn.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down