The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass

4 posters

Go down

switch - dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass Empty dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass

Post by fatha Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello
I'm new to the forum today. I'd be grateful if anyone could advise on the type of switch that is used on the Thunder 2 bass. It is obviously a 4PDT but what i'm not sure of is wether it is a 'on-on-on' or 'on-off-on' (but I seem to remember it may have been a 3 position) or maybe it's a simple toggle 'on-on'. Normally I would have flipped the switch and buzzed the thing out and figured it out BUT the paddle is snapped. Any guidance welcome
Thanks Fatha
fatha
fatha
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-01-03

Back to top Go down

switch - dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass Empty Re: dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass

Post by Barry Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Welcome fatha. Have a click HERE for a schematic.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

switch - dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass Empty dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass

Post by fatha Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Barry
Thanks for the link. I've already seen that and it does suggest that it is an 'on-on' toggle switch (by schematic similarity to the other two switches which are both intact on my bass and are both simple toggle). But like I said I have a notion that it was a three position (it has been broken a number of years now and I'm struggling to remember). I need either this one (on-on-on) or this one (on-on). PS since I'm new the forum has blocked the hyperlinks i put into the word 'one' . Basically it was a link to some switches that fitted the bill from Radio Spares UK
Fatha
fatha
fatha
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

switch - dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass Empty Re: dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass

Post by Barry Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Hyperlinks and picture posts are restricted for new users fatha. Helps cut down on the SPAM'ers and SCAM'ers.

The simplest thing to do is open the control cavity and have a look at it eh? Most switches are marked on-on, on-on-on, etc.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Shakedown Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi fatha,

I have a Thunder 2 bass in front of me now, the dual tone is a 2 position switch.

Cheers.
Clive Shakedown
Clive Shakedown

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fatha Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Brilliant. Thats what I needed to know. Thanks a lot.
fatha
fatha
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fatha Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:25 am

Clive sorry to labour this but can I just confirm you are referring to the switch nearest the strings. Cheers.
fatha
fatha
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Shakedown Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi there, yes, the switch nearest the strings, in fact all three switches are 2 position types. Mine is as it came from the factory with no mods.

EDIT, I am looking at a Thunder 2 bass like the ones pictured here, there was a short scale thunder 2 I think with a different pick up config, but if you have a bass like mine one then it's a 2 position switch.
the Thunder 2 is on the left.
switch - dual tone switch - Thunder 2 bass T3bodbig
Clive Shakedown
Clive Shakedown

Back to top Go down

Post by fatha Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Thanks Clive.
My bass is identical to the one on the right except my pots dont have the black markers on them and the pup selector is ivory coloured. A bit of research suggests this was renamed thunder 3 although the headstock truss cover states "Thunder II"
I can now try to source a switch - unfortuntaely it's unlikely to have the flat paddle and wont match the other two.
fatha
fatha
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPDT-Mini-Toggle-Switch-/201006274613?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2ecce85835

this seller has a few flat paddle switches available.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Shakedown Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Yes, re my pots, v low tech black marker pen!
Plain brass is nice but sometimes impractical.
Cheers.
Clive Shakedown
Clive Shakedown

Back to top Go down

Post by fatha Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 am

Thanks for the ebay link Sgt. Vimes, the paddle looks right but this is a single pole double throw SPDT swith, I need a 4 pole double throw 4PDT, which has 12 contacts in all in a 4x3 pattern.
fatha
fatha
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fatha Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:51 am

found one. here's the link for anyone who may have a similar need:
I cant post links as a new member so make the obvious changes before pasting into your browser
xxx.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M41T6B11M1QE-Multicomp-Switch-4Pdt-/141084526002
fatha
fatha
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down