The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rainbow II with GK-3 for sale

4 posters

Go down

For Sale Rainbow II with GK-3 for sale

Post by bramwarner Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Hello Forum members,

i bought this guitar in the mid eighties in Göttingen, Germany, where i studied. The tailpiece was broken, a friend of mine constructed a massive new one. The carrying handle of the case is broken, guitar is in good condition. Please take a closer look at ebay Germany and search for Westone Rainbow II

Best Regards,
bramwarner
bramwarner
bramwarner
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-12-04

Back to top Go down

For Sale Re: Rainbow II with GK-3 for sale

Post by jim Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Bram,

Looks like your friend did a pretty good job machining a replacement tailpiece judging by the pics in your add.
eBay-number:171186461753

Nice guitar really. The midi PU however... How is it attached with tape or screwed on? I have to say I have no experience with these. But I for one like the PU's these Rainbow's came with enough not to add an extra one which might damage the lacquer.
Personally I'd prefer a Godin without any attachments if playing with midi was my thing instead of modifying a Rainbow. Seen a Thunder with a Roland, no word on how it was attached either  http://www.mesonline.com/guitar_electric/WESTONE/details_westone.html

Good luck on your sale anyway.
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Looks to be an adhesive attachment.

I agree that a Rainbow is not the guitar I would use for a midi installation. My preference would be for a solid body, the adhesive will likely affect the finish on the Rainbow.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bramwarner Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:10 am

All parts of the GK 3 unit are screwed and could be easily removed. Let`s say that those people who want a Westone get a GK 3 included and those wo want a GK3 get a good guitar santa .
bramwarner
bramwarner
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:42 am

bramwarner wrote:All parts of the GK 3 unit are screwed and could be easily removed...
rainbow - Rainbow II with GK-3 for sale Toopid

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bramwarner Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:20 pm

rainbow - Rainbow II with GK-3 for sale 6
bramwarner
bramwarner
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:05 pm

bramwarner wrote:rainbow - Rainbow II with GK-3 for sale 6
Sure. Embrace improvements? Are they? Such a pitty, to me and Barry does agree. Just another modified guitar... Somebody seems to know why but finds it hard to explain... Thanks for the info on telling us it was screwed on anyway. An honest seller reply admitted. Respect after all, still a bit disappointed about why you found it necessary ! It's Just me in this Westone afficionado community... Not!
jim
jim

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Considering a GK 3 unit is worth about ...
The guitar became how much worth more?   Razz
jim
jim

Back to top Go down

Post by bramwarner Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi Jim, i really respect your and Barrys point of view and understand it. But during 32 years of guitar playing I've never been a guitar collector. For me a guitar is just a work tool to make more or less good music.

It doesn`t matter if the guitar became worth more or less because of a mounted GK 3 unit. What counts is that this instrument  gives me lots of inspirations and good times.

And the price? New 700 DM in 1985 and 328 € in 2013 with replaced non original parts and a used GK 3. 1 Euro = 1,95583 DM. Please be realistic.
bramwarner
bramwarner
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:03 pm

I don't think it is bad at all to modify a guitar to have it the way you want it.  And if you choose to sell it in the future and someone doesn't like the modification, then they can keep looking for a non modified version.  I modify some of my guitars and leave others original.  I do understand the purist mentality for collectors, but collectors represent a much smaller group than players and I would think this forum should be fair to both.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:55 am

I understand the purists only if they're talking about guitars "worth" tens of thousands of dollars; and Japanese guitars, however well built and respected, do not and probably will never, fall into that category for whatever reason.
I, too, regard the instrument as a tool and if fitting a MIDI pickup served my purpose at the time, then so be it, though I'm bound to say that a solid body rather than a hollow would have been my choice!
I've fooled around with most, if not all, of my guitars at some point - though most mods are reversible - to suit my playing style, or to improve/alter the electronics; the tool must fit the purpose and the user; i generally don't understand the mindset of someone who buys a guitar to either put on a wall, or in a vault as an investment.... they were built to be played, sweated on and make some noise!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down