The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electra Westone with broken trem

+3
Westbone
Barry
gittarasaurus
7 posters

Go down

electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Empty Electra Westone with broken trem

Post by gittarasaurus Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:17 pm

here is an Electra Westone i just fixed up. it had a 6 screw tremolo that was simply falling apart.
electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Ry%3D400electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Ry%3D400
when i got it, i saw there was a crack along the line of 6 screws. there was already a piece missing at the corner. on closer examination i discovered it was actually broken. as long as i didn't move the bridge it "worked", but any hope of really using the guitar meant the tremolo had to be replaced.
here is a look at the old one
electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Ry%3D400electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Ry%3D400
once i removed it and looked closer, i found it is about ready to completely disintegrate. there are cracks all over it, in nearly every area of the cast metal.
electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Ry%3D400electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Ry%3D400electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Ry%3D400electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Ry%3D400electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Ry%3D400
i have 3 of this model guitar, and 2 of the 3 have been exactly like this; broken along the line of 6 screws because of poor quality metal. and the saddles are made of the same poor quality metal.
the replacement tremolo has a much smaller sustain block, but the metal is a much harder alloy on the block and the plate.
i used the original mounting screws (even though they are quite oxidized) so they matched the holes in the wood correctly.
the string saddles are old-style bent metal saddles. 
and now i have a whammy bar too!
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Empty Re: Electra Westone with broken trem

Post by Barry Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Very scary trem! Nice recovery Mike.
Really love that colour! Wow.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8683
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

electra - Electra Westone with broken trem Empty Re: Electra Westone with broken trem

Post by Westbone Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Good 'ol Jap crap....So Happy 

As you call them over there an "import" bridge goes straight on.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 pm

I remember Steve (Iceman) had a pot metal bridge fall to pieces once too.   Great save Mike!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Yep; my X195 had the same problem and I whacked a Wilkinson 5+1 in the hole. I've since put an OEM bridge back on it. Still, half the problem with these bridges is that people screw the bloody things down HARD!!

It's funny, eh; Uncle Matt did such good work normally and yet there's things like the metal quality in this, the barrel saddle bridges, the el weirdo, cheap-ass bridge on my Avenger and the weak Prestige stopbar! You have to wonder at times!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Nice work and it looks great. I like the color as well.
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:37 pm

corsair wrote:It's funny, eh; Uncle Matt did such good work normally and yet there's things like the metal quality in this, the barrel saddle bridges, the el weirdo, cheap-ass bridge on my Avenger and the weak Prestige stopbar! You have to wonder at times!!
The lesson I take from this is it is actually pretty easy to make a decent guitar.

The vintage 50s-era Strats and Les Pauls people would perform an unnatural act to own were cheaply mass produced, too.
And modern boutique pickups charge big bucks to recreate the sound of the cheapest pickups Fender and Gibson could manufacture. Go figure.

What made the Japanese good, I think, is they originally built to closer tolerances than the rest of the world (although I don't think they have that advantage anymore).
Once you figure out what a good design is, you can build a really good guitar pretty easily and pretty cheaply. What made Matsumoku stand out (in hindsight) is their craftsman had decades of experience working with wood and metal together, and some really interesting design ideas from Westone.
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down