The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Dana and other restorations

4 posters

Go down

Westone Dana and other restorations Empty Re: Westone Dana and other restorations

Post by halo71 Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Well I got the body today, neck hasnt been shipped yet but is supposed to be late this week and is supposed to be pretty minty. Whomever had this guitar really botched it up! Looks like the original color was black, then painted blue, then painted a dark metallic grey. I didn't even bother taking any pics of it yet. I immediately took it into my shop and started sanding. Someone really screwed up a nice looking body. The paint is sooooo thick its taking a long time to sand to bare wood. I am hoping to get it down to wood and maybe just do a light stain on the wood then clear coat. Hopefully the wood will come out nice. 
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Westone Dana and other restorations Empty Re: Westone Dana and other restorations

Post by corsair Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Paint-stripper for the initial layer(s) of paint may be quicker?? You gonna show us what you've got... Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:06 pm

corsair wrote:Paint-stripper for the initial layer(s) of paint may be quicker??...

Nah John, I reckon that Gary is doing the right thing, paint stripper just makes a horrible gooey mess and takes longer to do than just going full out from the outset with the sander!

Keep up the good work there Gary and let us all see the results. It would be nice to see some 'Before' and 'After' photos too.
Smile

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:01 am

Dunno, bro - stripper and a bit of patience works a treat, particularly when the paint layers is as thick as Gary says it is; as does reading and following the instructions to the letter!! Laughing

You gonna show us or do have to come visit... Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Paint strippper is OK and better than clouds of dust ... well thats my opinion. Plus, it depends how long you leave it on for.. If you want take off just a few layers of paint, only leave it on until the paint begins to get soft.

Hey ho, happy stripping !
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:26 pm

I find that sanding usually is the best way to go. I've refinished a few old guitars and usually paint stripper wont touch the paint! The old polyester and nitrocellulose paints they used back in the day are very hard! I will take a few pics and post them up. I guess a before and after comparison would be nice to have.
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:31 pm

You're dead right, halo - those finishes are very stubborn indeed! What you've gotta do is score the surface of the paint or finish with something sharp to let the stripper in to do it's thing!! But we each have our preferred methods which is what makes forums like this one so damn interesting; I stripped my strat with stripper and then sanded it and it worked out fine - pics when the body comes back from the artist....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeah try that with a vintage Kramer....it dont work trust me! One short cut I did find out and works rather well on flat top bodies guitars is.....IF....you have a 12" plainer in your wood shop as I do. Running the body through it with the cutters set VERY shallow, you can take multiple passes on the body and take the paint to the bare wood rather quickly! Works for the top and bottom of the body. Then all you have left to sand is the sides, inside horns, belly cut and arm cut. This really cuts down on refinishing times! And works like a charm....trick is to take really shallow cuts. If the cutters go to deep into the surface you are screwed!Think we should have a refinishing section on the forum? People could post their tricks, experience, recommendations etc. But depending on what the model is and its worth I will not refinish a guitar and just leave it be. I mean, I wouldn't touch a vintage Kline, Nightswan Kramer with sandpaper! Wink
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:30 pm

halo71 wrote:Yeah try that with a vintage Kramer....it dont work trust me!

I did it on a '58 Tele way back and it worked a treat; I'll bow to your much more up to date information, though!! Very Happy

One short cut I did find out and works rather well on flat top bodies guitars is.....IF....you have a 12" plainer in your wood shop as I do.

Yep, I have done the surfacing thing on flat tops with, as you say, the cutters sett to 15 thou for the first pass, 5 thou for subsequent passes!

Think we should have a refinishing section on the forum? People could post their tricks, experience, recommendations
Good idea!!

etc. But depending on what the model is and its worth I will not refinish a guitar and just leave it be. I mean, I wouldn't touch a vintage Kline, Nightswan Kramer with sandpaper! Wink

.. and that, ladies and gentlefolks, is very very good advice!! Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:55 pm

You refinished a '58 Tele????? dayum..... lolWell I am not sure the thickness or type of paint used on those old Tele's but with that dang polyester paint, it's hard and thick (that doesn't sound right does it? lol) and scoring or scratching the paint didn't work for me. I did find out on the first one I did that chipping the paint and carefully digging with a narrow putty knife I could chip it back pretty easily. But ya run the risk of denting the wood if you arent careful. And some I know use a propane torch/heat gun to remove the paint. But I dont care for the scorching of the wood that comes with that.
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:04 pm

halo71 wrote:You refinished a '58 Tele????? dayum..... lol

Yeah, I did... in 1978, when you couldn't give the bloody things away!!

Well I am not sure the thickness or type of paint used on those old Tele's but with that dang polyester paint, it's hard and thick (that doesn't sound right does it? lol) and scoring or scratching the paint didn't work for me.
Yep, it was that really thick poly type aged cream and needed severe action with a Stanley knife to get the stripper working...

I did find out on the first one I did that chipping the paint and carefully digging with a narrow putty knife I could chip it back pretty easily. But ya run the risk of denting the wood if you arent careful.
Yeah; on the blade of the Stanley knife I wound about 30 turns of thick sticky tape around the blade about 3mm from the tip to stop just taht, Worked fine...

And some I know use a propane torch/heat gun to remove the paint. But I dont care for the scorching of the wood that comes with that.

You and me both!!

This is the beast in question hanging on my nephew;

Westone Dana and other restorations Guitarsjpg001

..it was gonna change the world, man!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Cool pic! I am guessing you dont have either of those axes anymore ehh? 
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Oh, god, no!! The Tele went when I bought my Vantage VA900 - never regretted it either!! - and the 2380 came and went very quickly; it was a pig to play, very weak p'ups and as heavy as an LP without the grunt. The pic I think is about 1979 and I bought the VA in 1980 in Melbourne, Australia... Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:37 pm

HOY, you two,

Can we stick to the topic please???? Rolling Eyes

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:39 pm

OK, ...... bossy boots!! Very Happy

Actually I was wondering when the wrath of the moderator would drop on us; we've given given a fair amount of leeway, thanks chook!! cheers
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:38 am

Should I start a new thread titled "halo and corsairs rambling thread"? lol .....geeezzzz tough crowd here. lol
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:56 am

halo71 wrote:Should I start a new thread titled "halo and corsairs rambling thread"? lol .....geeezzzz tough crowd here. lol

Ooh what a good idea! (NOT!)
Rolling Eyes I'll get Neil to sort you out a whole new forum all to yourselves, shall I? Rolling Eyes

AND, don't think I hadn't noticed you two sneaking another rambling session into the 'Introductions' forum either! Tut, tut!

BEHAVE yourselves or I shall be forced to make you both go and stand in the corner with your heads hung in shame!
Laughing

Pauline :flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:52 pm

So you are basically putting the brakes on open discussions on guitar refinishing. I gotch now, mam.....  Smile
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:59 pm

We shall take our meanderings to the Technical forum where no-one will notice us.... the points on refinishing, or at least removing a finish are valid ones though, Polly - maybe they could be whacked in there? Smile
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:26 pm

halo71 wrote:So you are basically putting the brakes on open discussions on guitar refinishing. I gotch now, mam..... Smile

No, not in the slightest. Come on guys, I'm not that much of a dragon really! Laughing

In fact, I more than anybody, welcome any discussion regarding restoration/refinishing but in this instance you were both slightly hi-jacking other threads and going a little bit off topic.
Johns' suggestion for moving it to the Technical forum is a good one and if you would like me to, I will move the relevent parts of your discussion there under a new thread so that you can continue with it to your hearts' content!
Smile

Pauline :flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:34 pm

Good on ya, lass; that'd be mighty!! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:19 pm

lol
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingFirebeard Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:57 pm

Still curious to see it! Very Happy
VikingFirebeard
VikingFirebeard
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://samzasylum.freehostia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Well I'd started working on sanding the body down. THen got side tracked putting together a Ibanez mutt and painting a HM strat for a friend of mine. And I have a Vandenberg body to cut out of mahogany as well. I promise I will take pictures asap.
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down