The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum...

+5
corsair
Westbone
mortarman120gang11c
hobster
The Chad
9 posters

Go down

Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum... Empty Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum...

Post by The Chad Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Hopefully this post will be a fun read for everyone.

My Wife and I had the opportunity to visit Dana in his new shop in Ardentown, Delaware.

Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum... DSCN2695_zps2a7acefc

Dana has moved into an excellent new shop. It really suits his needs with a nice large, clean, open studio-esque area for he and his helper Jeff to work in, a storage room, a woodworking room, a dedicated humidity controlled room, and other rooms to keep customer's guitars and other things. It's impressive, very clean and organized.

It was really good to see Dana again, it's a pleasure to visit and I'm glad to be somewhat close by. He's a great guy all around, a well cultured man of the world who's a master at this craft. Very personable and knowledgeable. I recommend him highly. There were a bunch of Fenders in his shop this time which he and Jeff were working on. Dana was filing some frets on a vintage Strat neck while Jeff was working on a '70 Tele. Dana said that all the Fender's were from the same guy. Things like this speak for themselves, that they'd send their gear to him for work. He is a Master Luthier after all.

We were talking about life and such and the conversation went to guitars. I'd mentioned that I'd been looking for a stoptail Westone Dana. "I have one" Dana said. Shocked "What? Really?!" I said. He sent Jeff into his storage room, a second later Jeff emerged with a black Westone Dana I (as in the catalogue) for me to see. So cool. I also mentioned wanting to find another Dana II. "I have a white one" Dana said. Jeff went into the storage room again and emerged with a white Dana II for me to see! What a Face I think he said that he doesn't even know what he has in there, that Jeff sometimes "finds" guitars in there. Laughing Wouldn't you like to have a room like that?!

I'd brought him my 1980-ish Electra X930 MPC for a nut filing. He commented on how Matsumoku did such great work, and also on how nice the guitar's condition was (the thing's unplayed). He said that the Electra MPC effects were later used in the Crate amps, and that the MPC effects were made with planned obsolescence.

He showed me a couple of his Scoops. Man they're good looking guitars. The white strat style Dana Scoop Custom from his website was there, really neat.

Something on the other side of the room caught my eye. It was just laying on a table, something else that Jeff "found" in the storage room. It will be of interest to you guys. THIS thing...

Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum... DSCN2693_zps6bc588d5

Shocked It's a Dana custom Westone Spectrum. He said I could photo it, so I sat it on top of my Electra case for a quick photo shoot.

This Westone is covered in Anaconda snakeskin. Yes, real anaconda. It's a heavy guitar, Bendmaster Deluxe trem, chunky frets, and probably the best truss rod cover ever. I fell in love. Razz Grab your spandex and hair spray people, you'll want to be prepared for this.

Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum... DSCN2691_zps82472691

Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum... DSCN2694_zpsa5d6c4b5

Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum... DSCN2690_zps51d7770f

Dana told me that the snakeskin avenue became available to SLM through a relationship with a local boot maker. Makes sense! He also said that the plywood body density helped with the guitar tone in conjunction with the snakeskin. I love that it was just laying there. How cool is that?

Anyhow, it was really great to see Dana again. My Wife Raychel said that I was like a kid in a candy store. And I guess I was. Laughing If you've never had a master luthier work on one of your guitars, it's certainly worth it. Instead of dumping more money into just another guitar, send one of your favorites to Dana for the treatment. He'll make it come alive for you, I recommend him without hesitation. But don't take my word for it, send him something to work on. Here's his website Click here for his website, or go to http://www.danamusic.com

Last edited by The Chad on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum... Empty Re: Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum...

Post by hobster Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Awesome, looks like you had a great time! That's a wicked Spectrum, I heard they made a few with real snakeskin, love the headstock plate. Sounds like quite the learning experience, what a cool time. Didn't know they used MPC effects in Crate amps but It makes sense since it did become Crate/Electra. Thanks for sharing Chad, lucky you!
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum... Empty Re: Dana Sutcliffe's new shop and a custom Spectrum...

Post by mortarman120gang11c Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:16 pm

The snakeskin guitars and Bass models are awesome . I owed one of the very few pytho covered Basses ad wish I had kept it. This one is really unique ad an awesoe find. thaks for the photos. wish I had that one.
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Sounds like a good day.

Very interesting to say the least.

Cheers Chad Smile
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks for sharing this, eh!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Did Dana by any chance mention me, Chad? How did he like the T shirt I got you to make for him?

Hoax bounce
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Nice story Chad. Thanks for taking the time to put it in the forum. Very Happy

Um, is that a pink Anaconda or is just happy to see me? clown

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Plywood?
A plywood bodied Spectrum is already special, even w/o the snakeskin.

But the idea that you can get great tones out of a plywood guitar matches my experience with my '89 Challenger...still one of my favorite guitars. I had it a year before I realized it was plywood!
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:41 am

Razz You guys make me laugh out loud!

SLM is the reason that Pink Anaconda's have gone extinct. cheers

Was a great trip for sure. I'll have him work on more of my instruments in the future.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil Smith Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Nice story,

Looks like Dana tried to register here and had a problem: Dana Music
Neil Smith
Neil Smith
Registered Member

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-04-20

http://www.techclick.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Good to see you in the Forum again Neil. Thumb Up
You gonna stay around a bit?

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down